Backpackers Lucerne

Lucerne, Switzerland

Great little place next to the lake. Not much atmosphere in the evenings (most other places I've been have had a lively bar) but had just everything we needed, and was very comfortable. Very friendly staff.

• 10th Aug 2013

This could have been a great stay for us - a lively bar, great breakfast, clean rooms. But, it was not acceptable to be kept up until 2am because of the noise from the bar. The music was so loud that I might as well have been bunking down under the speakers themselves. After midnight I asked for the music to be turned down and they gave me a pair of earplugs, which worked well enough but didn't get rid of the pumping bass beat that I could feel from my bed. Not a place to stay if you want sleep.

• 5th Aug 2013

Snuffel Backpacker Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

Good breakfast, lively bar with lots of games, short walk to centre, helpful staff.

• 4th Aug 2013

Hostel Uppelink

Gent, Belgium

I was amazed by this place - having expected a small hostel on a side street, we arrived at the Uppelink which looks over the river, right next to Ghent's most beautiful bridge, which I could see from my bunk bed. Great breakfast, cleanliness, staff, everything.

• 3rd Aug 2013