Location: Ireland, Gender: Female, Age: 25

Birmingham Central Backpackers

Birmingham, England

I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm for two nights, and on the second night the 6th bed was occupied by a man. Not OK. Also, a male friend of two girls in the room knew the code for the door and waltzed right in when they weren't there (and without knocking) when I was just out of the shower. Actually, anyone could have. In short, the security was bad. The only redeeming features of this hostel were its cheapness and the free tea/coffee available in the common area.

Kinlay House Cork

Cork, Ireland

Double room turned out to be a triple bunk bed so watch out for that. The room was clean - though the window was broken and let lots of rain in. The staff were very pleasant, the kitchen was fine - though someone stole some of my food. Breakfast was awful, they didn't even have real milk only UHT. It just wasn't great value, and I won't be back. Next time I'm in Cork with soneone I'd pay maybe 5 or 10 euro more each and get a B

Belfast International Youth Hostel

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Really liked this hostel. Stayed in 23 bed female dorm, which was excellent value for money and didn't feel cramped or crowded at all. Two quibbles: the door of the dorm didn't always close properly behind people leaving so I came back once or twice to find it ajar. Only reason I gave security good rather than excellent. Also, one sink in the bathroom was blocked and full of water for 2 of the 3 days I was there, so only gave cleanliness good as well. Hostel was spotless in all other respects.

This was my third or fourth visit to this hostel. I usually stay in a smaller dorm, but this time I chose a 14 bed female dorm and it was fine. One woman's luggage was broken open though, so make sure to use lockers provided (bring your own padlock). Also, be aware there is a big mix of ages at this hostel - everyone from the almost elderly down to children. As always though, the hostel was clean

Brussels Hello Hostel

Brussels, Belgium

Stayed here two years ago, and really like what they've done with the place since then - new bar, better kitchen facilities, and free wi-fi throughout. I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm in "Miss Hostel" 50m from the main one. In the dorm one curtain doesn't quite fit the window, so there's a bit too much light in the room, but it's otherwise a lovely, clean, newly renovated room, near a bathroom with a hair dryer. Highly recommend hello hostel.

Pension Ciudadela

Barcelona, Spain

Really nice little guest house. Great value for money and lovely staff. Might be a bit better if travelling as a couple or small group than solo though (hard to meet other travellers here). Ask nicely for a room with a view, it's a lovely area :-) Also the new bus service offered direct to the airport for 8 euro is excellent! It's a shame there is no kitchen (the food markets in Barca are amazing) but there is a fridge and microwave at least. Highly recommended.

Hostel Tabor Ljubljana

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Only stayed one night, and barely that as I was rushing off to get a train early the next morning, but Hostel Tabor was everything I needed. I stayed in a single room, which for 23 euro (10% was deducted off the hostelworld price when I arrived) was excellent value. It was basic but felt secure, clean and quiet and I slept like a log. I'd definitely come back if visiting Ljubljana for longer during the summertime.

I enjoyed my stay at Most Apartment. There was a slight mix-up on the second day when I returned to find my clothes and stuff and those of another guest mixed together and unceremoniously dumped on the floor by, I understand, the mother, who thought we had checked out or something, but to be fair Jasmine sorted it out as fast as she could. She was also very helpful with maps and directions and the like. Overall, Pula is a lovely place to visit, and this is a nice place to stay in Pula.

Backpackers Fairytale

Split, Croatia

Shower drain needs to be unclogged, otherwise nice and clean. Location given 'good' rather than excellent as hostel located on the fifth floor! Is close to city centre though and has lovely views from balcony. Staff very accommodating, helped me out a lot when I needed to stay another night (thanks ladies!) I also did the day trip to Krka waterfalls, which was gorgeous and I would recommend it if you can get a group of 5 together.

Funk Lounge

Zagreb, Croatia

Met the best bunch of people here, ended up just hanging out chatting in the hostel until the small hours of the morning. The staff were all excellent, food in the bar cheap and tasty, and the hostel itself (once you get inside) lovely. A little further out of town than another hostel I stayed in, but easy to reach by tram (follow the yellow footprints from tram stop, can't get lost) or even on foot as the area seems quite safe. Had a great stay here anyway, highly recommend.

Palmers Lodge Zagreb

Zagreb, Croatia

This was a very nice hostel to stay in, close to train station and city centre. Funny smell in the bathroom, but spotlessly clean. Perhaps not quite at the same level as Palmers lodge in London Swiss Cottage, but would still highly recommend. Do book early as it was booked out when I tried to stay a second night. For the tram noise, I would recommend buying ear plugs. I got mine for about 18 kuna in a city centre pharmacy, slept like a baby

Euro Youth Hostel

Munich, Germany

Very close to the train station, which was a big plus, was clean and also had excellent staff. However, it was noisy until 3/4 in the morning, and the night I stayed there I had to share a room with some really inconsiderate young fellas, who turned on the lights and were talking loudly at about 1 in the morning. Then, someone who had clearly had far too much to drink kept us all awake with his wailing and retching outside. The staff were excellent, called a doctor, but I won't be staying again.

La Pescheria Backpackers

Venice, Italy

La Pescheria is a nice place to stay. I would recommend flip-flops for the showers, but otherwise it's clean and in a good location close to Rialto Bridge. There was one staff member on reception (female) who was brilliant. Having your plate snatched from you at breakfast = not so good. The hostel is a bit expensive, but then Venice is expensive generally. Beware service charges in restaurants! go for street pizza instead. Also, cheapest souvenir earrings by train station (3 pairs for 10 euro)

Lovely beds, gorgeous house and a warm and friendly host - cannot recommend B3 highly enough! Lockers for valuables would have been nice, and maybe wifi on the top floor but otherwise no complaints. It's also faultlessly clean. Definitely the best place I have found through hostelworld. Stay here if you can :-)

Stayed in the 8 bed female dorm, which FYI is not ensuite. And they charge +£1 if you pay by card. Can't complain though I really like this hostel, I've stayed here twice and I think it's one of the better ones in London. The beds are great - study and comfty (nothing worse than squeaky bunks). No kitchen, but there are food outlets including an M&S and a lovely Italian cafe just around the corner from the hostel if you don't want to eat in. Would highly recommend. Just, as I said, no ensuite

St Christopher's Camden

Mixed feelings about this hostel. Its location is both its making and its undoing, and there are much better hostels in London. This is not a place you can expect a restful night's sleep. My 6 bed dorm was big, but cars and trucks roared past all night and our windows were jammed open so I may as well have been trying to sleep on the kerbside. The hostel itself is reasonably clean (though no kitchen). The staff were nice. Tunes and free wifi in the bar were great. Just don't expect to sleep.

Brussels Hello Hostel

Brussels, Belgium

This hostel is really quite nice. There's a metro nearby, and buses. The staff were really friendly, and answered all my questions :-) There are quite beautiful paintings throughout the hostel by an artist whose name I can't remember... they're lovely anyway. In terms of security, lockers are provided by reception for valuable items. You need your own lock for these. The hostel was very clean. And there's free internet/wifi downstairs. I would stay again.

This was a really nice hostel. The staff were friendly and helpful, the hostel itself very lavish (!), the beds quite comfortable, the rooms relatively spacious (though only 2 power sockets for 8 girls) and there seemed to be a good buzz in the bar/restaurant. Unfortunately I only had one night there, but if I was going back to London I'd very probably stay in Swiss Cottage again. It's a little out of the way, but easy enough to get to by tube. Overall, definitely a great hostel :-)

Dear Ciara, Thank you for your positive review. We have additional power sockets located in our lounge and common areas available to use for all our guests. Kind Regards, Palmers Lodge Team

Smart Hyde Park View

Other reviewers have said this before, but there really isn't enough room in the room for 6 beds. The only space for my bag was on the ground by my bed and it was blocking another person's locker.