Smart Hyde Park Inn

Location is perfect for the price. By hostel standards the staff are a little cold and impersonal. Beds were quite comfortable and the common/dining room area was great but I had to literally walk through a shower/toilet area to get to my room which isn't very hygenic. You have to ask reception for cutlery which is ridiculous but for £8 a night it was a bargain.

• 24th Jun 2013

Welcome Home

Rome, Italy

Good location in regards to public transport and the Vatican. Check-in procedure not clear - we were left waiting out the front with our bags waiting for staff to turn up for about 30 minutes. Staff friendly and helpful but it wasn't explained to us that we couldn't use the kitchen. Water pressure/heat poor.

• 30th May 2013

Aparthotel Davids

Prague, Czech Republic

It was a nice little B and B, clean and close to the station. Great breakfast. The only real negative for me was it was more hotel type accommodation rather than hostel; so if you are looking to meet fellow travelers and pub crawl, go elsewhere. Would suit older people/couples.

• 28th May 2013

MacDonald Hotel

Clean and close to transport links but lacked atmosphere. Staff enter your room when they think you're not there which we weren't too fond of for security reasons. Very good location. Breakfast finished too early.

• 18th May 2013

Very clean, friendly staff, safe and secure. Nice warm showers and a really strong wifi connection. I love the free soft drink, lollies and the omelettes for breakfast!

• 17th Apr 2013

Boomerang Hostel

Antwerp, Belgium

This hostel had a very nice ambience. The lounge area has a lot of character & the staff were warm, friendly and work so hard. Rooms were great value for money & the little curtained area with shelves was a nice touch. Rooms could use some more power sockets. Staff sit & interact with the tenants so the hostel has a nice atmosphere. Security is pretty terrible though. I've never stayed in a hostel before where there are no locks & keys for the bedroom doors. The luggage room isn't secure either.

• 11th Nov 2012

Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab)

Brussels, Belgium

This hostel was 'good' overall. I liked the bar area and the room with the billiards table. The breakfast was generous and the rooms were nice and roomy. However, the staff took too many cigarette breaks and the reception was often left unattended. I was moved on my last night which I wasn't very happy about. When I changed rooms the old linen was still on the bed and I had to remove it myself. So basically my bed was not cleaned and I find this unacceptable. The security room is a joke.

• 7th Nov 2012