La Casa de Cecilia

Mindo, Ecuador

I really enjoyed my stay here. Cheap breakfast ($2.50), strong wifi connection and clean. As a solo traveler, I appreciated that a single room was offered at $9 . Staff was helpful with any tours (chocolate tour, birding, zip line, etc). My only issue is that I would leave my key on the desk and they weren't always at the desk to watch the keys (the keys were on the desk the whole time, not put away). With that being said, no one entered my room and I would definitely stay here again.

Mallki Hostel

Cuenca, Ecuador

Loved staying here. Free dinner once a week. Really clean rooms. Breakfast was oats, bread, homemade jam, fruit, coffee or tea. Free bike rental was great.

Iguana Backpackers

Montanita, Ecuador

I stayed there 3 days. Water went out twice and the bathrooms were dirty. No toilet paper. If you're in the dorms, you will hear the noise from the loft above. There is a lot of creaking from the wood at all hours. Good atmosphere for beer pong and getting drunk before going out. Nice that each bed had mosquito nets. Huge lockers. Staff only friendly if you partied, otherwise they had no idea who you were. Walked out at 4 am because the noise was too much, slept on bus to Guayaquil instead.

Manso Boutique Guesthouse

Guayaquil, Ecuador

Can't be beat location steps from the malecón. All rooms have air conditioning, I had an ensure bath that was clean and had hot water. Breakfast was included: eggs, toast, fruit, coffee and tea. Laundry was $5 for a medium/large load. Would absolutely stay there again.

Hostal Cumbres del Volcan

San Salvador, El Salvador

La Casa Mazeta

Juayua, El Salvador

Excellent hostal in Juayua. The bunk beds were roomy along with the lockers. There is a spacious kitchen, dining area (in an outdoors) and TV area. Everyone gets a free beer or soda at arrival. Darren is a fountain of knowledge of the area. Highly recommended!

Thanks for the high recommendation. Free welcome beer or soda on arrival, why wouldn`t we ;) Thanks also for the praise, been here a long, long time now and probably been to more places in El Salvador than most locals. It was great meeting you guys, hope to meet again someday. Abrazos from all at Casa Mazeta

Hostel Casa Verde Santa Ana

Santa Ana, El Salvador

This hostel is a gem. It is intelligently set up ranging from the 2 kitchens, to the individual fans over each bed in the dorms, to the 2 tv rooms and the separate pool area. My only gripe with this hostel was I put a down payment down with hostelworld, but that was not honored by the staff. Granted, the prices are different on the hostelworld ($11 ) than at the hostel ($10). Hostelworld should look into their listed prices because it doesn't seem advantageous for me to make a reservation.

thank you, have a nice trip. :)

Hostal Cumbres del Volcan

San Salvador, El Salvador

Lots of space, beautiful kitchen

Drifter Jack's Hostel

Austin, USA

Really clean hostel! Located at the north end of the UT campus about 2 miles from 6th street, 3 miles from Rainey Street, 3 miles from east 6th and 4 from SoCo. There is a bus stop just outside the hostel and the nearest b-cycle station is 3 blocks. My dorm of six shared a jack and Jill shower with another dorm of 6. Each room had a mini fridge. Would definitely stay here again.

Kimbas Bungalows Mancora

Mancora, Peru

I paid 45/soles for a private room with a shower where I didn't have to wear flip flops. My room had a porch with lounge chairs and a hammock. The bungalows were so quiet at night and a 5 min walk directly to beach. Beautiful!

Loki del Mar

Mancora, Peru

This is the place if you want to be social and drink. The hostel is more resort like with a huge bar/eating area, plenty of hammocks and a pool with lots of lounge chairs. Volleyball set up at the entrance and within the pool, lots of games: ping pong, pool, 5 ft connect 4, giant jenga, darts. Direct access to the beach. Can get noisy at night as bar closes at 2 and there are events every night (karaoke, drinking games, masquerade ball). Bunk beds are lofted so there is a lot of space.

Marcel was really nice and sent a welcome email once I made a booking. He offered to have airport pickup for me. My room was looking right out onto the Amazon and it was cleaned as soon as I arrived. There is a special charm to this type of hostel, so you have to be willing to put up with certain issues (mosquitos) to get an amazing return (waking up on the Amazon).

Great location in Miraflores--you can take the Metro bus to Ricardo Palma from the bus terminal (Cruz del Sur, Ormeño at Javier Prado) and walk 4 blocks. Lots of restaurants and 3 grocery stores in the area. Breakfast includes bread

Supertramp Hostel

Machu Picchu, Peru

Breakfast was great--you could get eggs and pancakes for free. The 8 bed dorm I was in was roomy and had skylights which really helped when getting up early in the morning for the train (or ruins).

Pariwana Hostel Cusco

Cusco, Peru

Great space--lots of areas for people to lounge in the courtyard, tv room, internet room or bar/kitchen. Breakfast was coffee, tea, bread & jam, puffed cereal. Yogurt, omeletts, English breakfast were all available for purchase. Every night there was an activity: drinking games, ping pong tournament, bbq but it wasn't overly noisy. Rooms were spacious and the showers were hot with great water pressure. Dinner was available for purchase as well, but there was a large kitchen for people to use too

Bothy Hostel

Arequipa, Peru

You can't beat the price for the 6 bed dorm above the reception desk! Just don't choose this option if you are a light sleeper. I found all the workers to be friendly and helpful--they helped me plan a trip to Colca Canyon, get a bus ticket to Cusco and arrange a taxi for me. The bathrooms were alright but I had to walk down a flight of stairs and up another one to take a shower. Breakfast was bread with butter, jam and coffee/tea with options to purchase pancakes, eggs or fresh juice.

Posada San Francisco

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Gorgeous view off the balconies of Plaza Colon. Good air conditioning in the dorms. Lots of space between the bottom and top bunks. Lockers available, good kitchen, large bathrooms. $150 fee for lost keys!