Very charming, very clean. No towels provided but there is unlimited hot water in the showers. 5-bed dorm only had 4 large lockers, so I had to use one of the small bedside lockers. Good wifi signal throughout the building.

Enjoy Inn

Lijiang, China

Friendliest staff I've ever encountered. It almost hurts to write the rest: location is beautiful, right on the edge of a stream, but it's far from the city center and across the street from an elementary school, so the bustle of arriving families can get pretty loud from 7 AM onwards. Walls are also paper-thin; I felt like I was eavesdropping on others' conversations. No hot water in the shared shower. Small place, so no activities and few fellow guests to socialize with.

Five Elements Hostel

Dali, China

Really friendly staff. I got there at 8 AM after taking an overnight train and they let me into my room right away. They provide both a body and hand towel, as well as toilet paper, soap, body wash, and shampoo in the shared bath/shower room. Rooms aren't heated, so it was a little cool, but the electric blanket more than made up for it. The room was spacious and was nicely decorated. The puppy and cats are also really friendly. Wifi works well enough.

Thank you! The word of mouth is the key to our hostel, we grew up by this way anyway^^ Pls spread your word:) Appreciate!

Fantastic location by the Hongya Caves development, especially considering the price. Reception was helpful when he could be, but he was only one person so he seemed kind of overwhelmed at times. He also locks the door at midnight so if you want to party, don't stay here. Our twin room had two large and comfortable beds, but the room did have that sewer smell distinct to so many Chinese hostels. Sliding bathroom door was jammed, so we could never close it. Decent wifi throughout the hostel.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, we will strive to improve yourself, welcome next time.

Great decor, awesome service, good location, and reception even provides you with your own info sheets containing directions to Chongqing's more popular sights. Would definitely recommend. Only problem was that a cat that seems to have taken to the hostel was up whining all night. Maybe that's why they provide free earplugs in the room?

Hi, Thanks so much for your comment,so sorry for thr little cat,actually on that night,the cat screaming on the roof wasn't ours,we saved and it disappeared next day.It's so kind of you not to complain this.Wish you have a nice trip. Best regards ANNIE Yangtze River Hostel

Great breakfast, good movie selection, clean rooms.

Every time I feel like exploring Sichuan, this is where I come back to! It gets better and better every time!

Fourth or fifth time staying here, and every time I'm glad I chose to come back. Very helpful staff with an adorable pet bulldog, tons of movies to watch int the lounge, great tour offerings, clean rooms with towels included, and the best location by the Chengdu Tourism Bus Station. Whenever I go back to Chengdu, this will be my go-to hostel.

Great location right off the Nanjing Road Pedestrian area. Staff was very friendly. Space was a little cramped, but very clean. Kitchen is pretty nice and stocked with utensils for you to use.

The staff was very friendly and well-informed and had created excellent English-friendly maps, and I appreciated that they provide fresh towels every day (no rental fee here!). There were only two drawbacks to my stay in one of the six-bed dorm rooms: room smelled like stale cigarette smoke and toilets/showers designated for dorm-room guests were located near the open entryway to the freezing outdoors. With that said, toilets had toilet paper and showers always had hot water.

Han Tang Inn Hostel

Xi'an, China

The staff here were really friendly and put on activities like free hot pot that made the place feel comfortable and homey. Walls are decorated with pictures drawn by former guests. Breakfast is pretty good. The building itself generally has a lot of character, but it's located in an area that can be difficult to find if you're not good with maps. That said, it's still pretty close to the Drum Tower, the Muslim Quarter, and a bus stop that will take you to the train station.

The staff was just as helpful as Lonely Planet promised, and the kang-style beds were more comfortable than many regular hostel beds. The room heater kept the room warm enough to be bearable. En suite bathroom began to emanate a sewer smell after a couple days, although from other reviews I've read, that's just an inescapable part of living in an old city. Lobby/common area was a little small and crowded, probably because it was too cold to hang out in the courtyard area.

No showers available if you don't get an ensuite room, and the room itself was pretty drafty. I saw other rooms as I walked back and forth to the restroom and all but the private ensuite rooms seemed pretty cheerless. Not a bad place to stay but definitely not my favorite.