Planet Inn Backpackers

Perth, Australia

We chose to stay here because it was the cheapest hostel in Perth, and by god, it seemed like the cheapest hostel in Perth. The uninterested staff advised us we didn't need a key for the room or the front door (what!?), the kitchen looked like it had been ravaged by a muddy tsunami and although we booked and paid for a 6 bed, we were thrust haphazardly into an 8 bed where me and my friend were made to share a double. In addition, we found someone sleeping in our bed when we got home at night!

• 7th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Banjos Backpackers

Perth, Australia

I can't quite decide whether it was the clientele, the fact that it's low season or the sheer size of the hostel that lead to the dreary atmosphere that engulfed the place. The robotic staff that shuffled blankly about the place were fairly cold and unwelcoming and the confusing uniforms helped alienate them further. I had assumed a mass carbon monoxide leak when I first encountered the hoards of long term residents, mostly unemployed. That being said the facilities were superb, and kitchen big.

Home Travellers Motel- St Kilda

Melbourne, Australia

I stayed long term at this hostel when I was just intending a short stay. It has an immense character, wonderful atmosphere and a close knit crowd which doesn't take long to integrate into. The staff are accommodating, entertaining and helpful; there are obviously rules which are all generally fair. Over my months here I advised a number of friends to stay here also, who echoed the admiration for this place. Commenting on the comfy beds, brilliant social scene and clean bathrooms.Stay here!

• 26th Nov 2013

Mbizi Backpackers Lodge

Johannesburg, South Africa

What a superb hostel. Patrick has created a fantastic combination, one where you can chill, sleep well, knock back beers or organise a trip somewhere. He genuinely seems interested in helping you and there is a totally laid back homey atmosphere. Can't understand why you would stay anywhere else in Johannesburg. I wish hostels were like this in every city!

• 12th Nov 2013

Canterbury House Christchurch

Christchurch, New Zealand

If you are just looking for somewhere nice to sleep, then this is for you. Charming little house, just like staying with a grandparent! All the facilities are fantastic and the beds are super comfty. It is not the best place to meet people and the heating good do with being better, but overall I had a very comfortable time.

• 16th Jul 2012

La Chimba Hostel

Santiago, Chile

I would confidently say this is the best hostel I have ever stayed in, having been travelling 3 continents for 12 weeks. The atmosphere is fantastic, the staff get involved with everything, it's literally just like hanging out with them, and they are super helpful (even when they are nursing huge hangovers from the bar crawl you both did the night before) Beds were extra comfy and the rooms nice, and the constant comedy playing on the lounge TV is nice to sit down to after a hard day in the city

• 28th Jun 2012

I thought it was a spectacular hostel and my stay there was great. The staff were ultra helpful and the manager goes out of his way to get to know and help you. Warm atmosphere, perfect location and safe environment. Only thing I would improve is the bed comfort, but who can complain at that price.