Location USA, Gender Female, Age 37

Qingdao Marina Hostel, Qingdao, China
5.4
3rd Apr 2015

The hostel allows smoking, which is not something I expected. Also, the rooms above the lounge area are not quiet, as the music is loud. They also charge for maps of the area - the first hostel (out of over 50 I have stayed at) that charges for this. The menu at the bar was in Chinese, and when we asked if they had an English one, they said no, and did not offer to help at all. Other times, they were very helpful. I was not impressed with any thing enough to suggest others stay here.

We are sooooo sorry for everything you have mentioned in your comments...Maybe we didn't explain clearly enough to you.The free map is on the wall and we just don't have free map booklets to offer.And the bar menu is also bilingual!The lobby area allows smoking to serve the smokers because we don't allow smoking in rooms.There are still a lot to improve in our hostel.Thank you for your advices.Hope to see you again.Wish you all the best!:)

Adventure Queenstown Hostel, Queenstown, New Zealand
19th Feb 2015

Be aware: this hostel will spoil future hostels. It is beyond outstanding, with a staff equally as awesome. Want free internet? Done. Have a lot of stuff to charge? Outlets-WITH USB ports are everywhere, including beside your bed. Extra pillows, free tea and coffee all day, movie night, BBQ and roast beef dinner nights, and a long list of things you can rent or borrow (including GoPros) all make this hostel the best in town. Book all your activities with them also for best advice. I love here!

Insa Hostel Insadong, Seoul, South Korea
26th Jul 2014

This hostel is in a great location, has breakfast, free wifi, free laundry, and a great staff. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Guilin Central Hostel, Guilin, China
7.7
30th Apr 2014

My only complaint was that there was some misunderstanding when arranging things via email. And when it presented in person, I felt the blame was immediately put onto me, instead of trying to accommodate. The food served is very good. Although, one night, they didn't have a chef, but staff cooked and ate a large meal in front of guests. Other than that, the staff was very helpful. The rooms are clean and the lockers are the biggest I have seen in a hostel.

Yesinn @CAUSEWAY BAY, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
15th Mar 2014

The beds are on wooden slabs on the floor (some), but still not the most uncomfortable I have slept on. I like the privacy curtains around each bed. The room lockers are also on a magnetic key card system, as is the door. That was nice. The lounge area was average. The rooms were kept clean by a cleaner. The location is great. I would stay again without a doubt.

Khaosan Tokyo Ninja, Tokyo, Japan
5.7
6th Feb 2014

The staff was nice, but the beds were horribly uncomfortable (foam-type "mattress"). My room didn't even get warm on the bottom bunk area. Luckily, I had paid for a private room and could move to the top bunk. The computers are in the reception area, with no privacy. Only a few metro stops away is a sister hostel - Khaosan Kabuki. This one is GREAT! Do yourself a favor and stay at the other one. The ONLY super great thing about this was it was right beside the metro that took me to the airport.

Khaosan Tokyo Kabuki, Tokyo, Japan
31st Jan 2014

This hostel was perfect in terms of location, staff, computer usage (although I couldn't get wifi in my room). The staff goes above and beyond to be helpful, even calling to help me out with a tour I booked through another company. I wish they would have offered at least toast for breakfast, as eating out in Japan isn't cheap. But, the hostel is great and I would stay again!

Thank you for your comment. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed staying in our hostel. Your comment is greatly helpful to improve our service. We are looking forward to see you again.

BlackSheep Hostel & Bar, Budapest, Hungary
6.6
27th Dec 2013

The day and evening staff were good, but the night shift didn't seem to have a clue, let alone care. I understand that hostels are noisier than hotels and I expect a bit of that, but when people are screaming and carrying on (drunk as can be) from 12am through 5am, it gets old. There are posts about noise levels after 10pm, but nothing is enforced. The breakfast is fine and the rooms are clean. The location is good as well.

Flamingo Hostel, Krakow, Poland
8.0
21st Dec 2013

The hostel was in a perfect location, but room number 2 faces the bar and it is very noisy. The hostel should consider sound proof windows in that room. The staff was average. The breakfast was mediocre, just toast and sugary cereal.

Apple Hostel, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
16th Nov 2013

The staff was very friendly. The rooms were clean, although we did have a few baby roaches in the room when we returned from a night out. The rooms are VERY tiny (even by Hong Kong standards), but the beds were comfortable. With the free wifi and a/c units, as well as free towels and sheets, it is worth the money. I would stay again.

The Explorers Guesthouse and Hostel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
7.7
28th Sep 2013

The hostel is in a good location in terms of Central Market and Chinatown. It is a busy street with buses, but if you are not in a room along the street, you do not notice them. The co-ed bathrooms are very clean and nice. The bedrooms have a/c and are clean as well. There are lockers, but on a third floor, which is a pain if you are staying on one or two. The staff was pleasant, but not overly helpful. My only real complaint is that breakfast is only toast.

Cheers Hostel, Istanbul, Turkey
30th Jul 2013

To begin with, this is in a GREAT location. The owner and staff are friendly. They know everyone by name from the moment you arrive. NOTE: Book through the hostel if you are interested in trips, etc. Otherwise, snide remarks will be made, as was the case with me. When I asked if a lamp was a good price before buying, my response was, "How much did you spend on that cruise to Prince's Island? That was wasted in one day. The lamp will last longer." The hostel is very good though.

Tel Aviv Beachfront Hostel, Tel Aviv, Israel
26th Jul 2013

The hostel is in the perfect location if you want the beach. The staff was helpful. However, the cleaning lady took over my space two different times instead of letting me finish up. Once, she moved into the shower while I was trying to get dressed! I didn't use the lounge, so not sure about that. I appreciated fresh towels daily!

Tallinn Backpackers, Tallinn, Estonia
18th Jul 2013

I liked the hostel a lot. The location is good and the staff was great. I also enjoyed being able to get cheap, home-cooked meals right there. James and Mike kept the fun going and the girls were super fun to chat with. The rooms were clean, as was the bathroom/shower. And when I needed to do laundry, staff took care of me ( thanks, Katri). The website does not exaggerate...it is a party hostel. Do not book if you want quiet time. I will stay again if ever in Estonia. Lots of fun!

City Backpackers Hostel, Stockholm, Sweden
6th Jul 2013

For such a large hostel, it is well kept and everyone interacts. The staff is helpful if you ask. I didn't like having to pay for sheets. Most hostels do not charge. When you travel, who wants to pack sheets as well? There are free movie nights and great wifi access, along with computers as well.

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel, Copenhagen, Denmark
28th Jun 2013

The staff was awesome, providing great suggestions of things to do. The lounge/bar area is always busy with people to meet. The location is excellent. The room I was in was super tiny for 4 people, but other rooms looked more spacious. I also wish I had a locker in or near my room, instead do having to use the basement from the sixth floor. Overall, I would stay again, but in a different room.

Yesinn @Fortress Hill, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
8.0
4th Apr 2013

Yesinn is a decent hostel run by a pleasant staff. It is close to the metro and fast food (Starbucks, McDonald's, and Burger King). It is not a bad neighborhood, but not close to some of the more popular sights. However, the metro is right there, so it's easy to get around.

Backpackers HQ, Sydney, Australia
6.6
29th Dec 2012

This hostel had a nice layout, but I would have liked a few things to be different. The linens are provided, as well as free wi-fi, so that is a plus. Free breakfast also, consisting of toast, cereal and fruit. There is a kitchen to cook in, but it shuts down at 10, which means the microwave, toaster, etc. are shut down. If you are late-night eater, not good. There is also no A/C, so my room was really hot on the hot days. Overall, this wasn't luxury, but definitely not bad either.

Thanks for your feedback the kitchen closes down at 10pm due to noise some guests make late at night which disturbs our other guests and neighbours which can result in a fine from Council, however there is another small kitchen near the TV room with kettle etc. And unfortunatly if we had air/con you would be paying double the room rate.

Travellers Oasis, Cairns, Australia
22nd Dec 2012

Everything from the room to the staff, including the owners, was awesome! The wifi is not free, but it works well. The facilities are plentiful and relaxing in the pool is a plus. I loved every minute and WILL go back someday.

Hostel New King, New Delhi, India
4.9
18th Mar 2012

When we arrived, they were renovating, so we were moved to another hotel. This one did not look the cleanest, nor was it at all in a clean area. The one we were moved to was not much better to say the least. But, for that price, what do you expect? Everywhere we saw in India was dirty, so the hotel was suitable for the environment.

Aristoteles Hotel, Athens, Greece
6.3
22nd Oct 2011

Although this is not in a good neighborhood, especially when traveling alone, the staff was fantastic. Breakfast was lacking, but was suitable. The gentlemen that work the front desk are great to ask about the city, or Greece in general. I would stay there again, but only if I had someone with me to walk back at night.