5 yrs ago, Cloudland used to be a great hostel with very helpful reception staff. Now, only their fulltime reception staff is very helpful but their part-time staff only does the most basic work of checking in guests. Also, present day guests seem to smoke a lot & they smoke in the common corridors......due to the structure of the hostel building, it means that cigarette smoke can affect guests at the end of the same level corridor and even those in upper & lower floors.

Thank you for your booking and stay in our hostel .Thank u for your remind we will be improve our servers ,sorry about the smokers, in our bar we put the not "no smoke area all day" and "smoke area" two part no smoke on the day time but smoke on the night . some time the guest not really do like what we say but our staff will be tell them when we saw it . we will be try to do better and better. Welcome to come back ! Take care and enjoy your trip ! Cloudland YHA

There is a staff who speaks English.....and even French! This hostel prepares very good western breakfast / sandwiches. Excellent value for money because of its good location near several bus stops, with buses running in every direction in Lijiang. It's very quiet in this hostel. Great sleep every night. Best of all, there is excellent free wifi and there are more than enough power points (for charging camera & phone batteries) in every room, in the common areas and even in the garden area.

Big Blue Hostel & Backpackers

Shangri-la, China

Great location behind the Zhongdian / Shangrila bus station. Very good double decker beds in the dorm room. However, toilet cum shower could have been a cleaner. Looked like they don't have a cleaner who comes in daily to cleans the toilet / shower.

Lovely countryside and wildflowers in summer. Absolute peace and quiet and fresh air. No need to bring your food, inhouse restaurant is good enough.

Tavern 47

Shangri-la, China

One of the best hostels in China.

Sato Cave Hostel Goreme

Goreme, Turkey

Overall, I had a good experience but food hygiene is not good enough. E.g., feta cheese (packaging already opened, partly used) was left on top of the kitchen table top instead of being stored in the refrigerator overnight. Also, a big dustbin in the kitchen used for organic waste etc. is right next to a bowl of fruits and the big dustbin is not covered up. There were bed bugs in the 6 bed mixed dorm. I got bitten, so did a roommate of mine.

Apart Villa Brasina

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Istanbul Harmony Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

Palazzo Pensionne

Cebu, Philippines

Malapascua Blue Water Beach Divers

Malapascua Island, Philippines

The photo of the room shown in Hostelworld website is not the same as the actual room I was shown. The room I was shown was shoddy looking and I had to negotiate a price for a slightly better "chalet" (standalone room / bungalow with fan only). There are much better budget options around 500m further up the beach from this property.

Sunferia Inn

Zhuhai, China

When I arrived at 8.30am, the receptionist was still asleep. I had to phone him to wake him up! The carpet in the long corridors looked like it had not been vacuumed for several mths. The shared bathroom was unkempt, the floor wet and human hair was blocking the drainage areas. Sunferia was deserted day and night. It appeared that a few rooms were rented out on long term basis to migrant workers. I paid a deposit for 3N but stayed 1N. I was told that the 10% deposit pd goes to Hostelworld-true?

There were 2 staff who gave excellent service.