The common room & poorly equipped kitchen is not opened until 11am. The lovely photos posted in Hostelworld show the reception of the Independente SUITES ( = private rooms) in a separate bldg next door to the Independente is misleading to post lovely photos which lead people to make a booking in the hostel when no such view can be seen upon arrival !!! MISREPRESENTATION on a big scale ! I wouldn't have pd EUR19 for a 12 bed dorm with 4 triple decker beds if not for the photos.

Garden House Hostel

Porto, Portugal

A very good hostel in a lovely old refurbished building. Great common areas and garden, kitchen well equipped and accessible all hours.

Nice Way Sintra Palace

Sintra, Portugal

I think the pricing for the dorm I booked was on the high side, the breakfast was OK but not great, though the brewed coffee was good. The supermarkets are back where the train station is (at the bottom of the hill). Instead of walking downhill again to buy food provisions after trudging at least 30 mins uphill with all my luggage, I just decided to join in the daily evening barbeque....which was a good deal at EUR10. Most guests were caught in the same situation and also joined in the BBQ.

Alfama Patio Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

There were flies in the garden area near the kitchen.....this was due mainly to rubbish bins (with food waste). The floor of the dorm room that I was in could do with more regular cleaning / vacuuming, there was dust in the corners. The hostel is in a great location (very scenic) on top of a hill......very hard to reach, up very steep cobblestone alleys, but the prize was the view from the hostel. The Alfama area is, to me, Lisbon. Real Portuguese still live and work here.

Isaacs Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

I was in Room 219 (the 12 or 14 bed female dorm) which is directly opposite the Female Showers / Toilets. This room is really badly ventilated. There is only a window on one side & even though it was opened all the time, there was ZERO air flow into the room. The heat from the hot showers directly opposite meant this room is just EXTRA HOT. There is no ventilation fan or ceiling fan in the corridor outside the Female showers & also no ceiling or wall fans inside the dorm room. It was HOT.

5 yrs ago, Cloudland used to be a great hostel with very helpful reception staff. Now, only their fulltime reception staff is very helpful but their part-time staff only does the most basic work of checking in guests. Also, present day guests seem to smoke a lot & they smoke in the common corridors......due to the structure of the hostel building, it means that cigarette smoke can affect guests at the end of the same level corridor and even those in upper & lower floors.

Thank you for your booking and stay in our hostel .Thank u for your remind we will be improve our servers ,sorry about the smokers, in our bar we put the not "no smoke area all day" and "smoke area" two part no smoke on the day time but smoke on the night . some time the guest not really do like what we say but our staff will be tell them when we saw it . we will be try to do better and better. Welcome to come back ! Take care and enjoy your trip ! Cloudland YHA

There is a staff who speaks English.....and even French! This hostel prepares very good western breakfast / sandwiches. Excellent value for money because of its good location near several bus stops, with buses running in every direction in Lijiang. It's very quiet in this hostel. Great sleep every night. Best of all, there is excellent free wifi and there are more than enough power points (for charging camera & phone batteries) in every room, in the common areas and even in the garden area.

Big Blue Hostel & Backpackers

Shangri-la, China

Great location behind the Zhongdian / Shangrila bus station. Very good double decker beds in the dorm room. However, toilet cum shower could have been a cleaner. Looked like they don't have a cleaner who comes in daily to cleans the toilet / shower.

Lovely countryside and wildflowers in summer. Absolute peace and quiet and fresh air. No need to bring your food, inhouse restaurant is good enough.

Tavern 47

Shangri-la, China

One of the best hostels in China.

Sato Cave Hostel Goreme

Goreme, Turkey

Overall, I had a good experience but food hygiene is not good enough. E.g., feta cheese (packaging already opened, partly used) was left on top of the kitchen table top instead of being stored in the refrigerator overnight. Also, a big dustbin in the kitchen used for organic waste etc. is right next to a bowl of fruits and the big dustbin is not covered up. There were bed bugs in the 6 bed mixed dorm. I got bitten, so did a roommate of mine.

Apart Villa Brasina

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Istanbul Harmony Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

Palazzo Pensionne

Cebu, Philippines

Malapascua Blue Water Beach Divers

Malapascua Island, Philippines

The photo of the room shown in Hostelworld website is not the same as the actual room I was shown. The room I was shown was shoddy looking and I had to negotiate a price for a slightly better "chalet" (standalone room / bungalow with fan only). There are much better budget options around 500m further up the beach from this property.

Sunferia Inn

Zhuhai, China

When I arrived at 8.30am, the receptionist was still asleep. I had to phone him to wake him up! The carpet in the long corridors looked like it had not been vacuumed for several mths. The shared bathroom was unkempt, the floor wet and human hair was blocking the drainage areas. Sunferia was deserted day and night. It appeared that a few rooms were rented out on long term basis to migrant workers. I paid a deposit for 3N but stayed 1N. I was told that the 10% deposit pd goes to Hostelworld-true?

There were 2 staff who gave excellent service.