Hotel Muyurina

Machu Picchu, Peru

At first, we went to the wrong hotel which had the very same name! No problem, cuz the REAL Hotel was a short stroll away. View from bedroom window was breathtaking as the large Andean mountains came down to the river, where terracotta rooftops and happy people were in abundance. The manager was very helpful and let us store our gear in their room while we waited for the afternoon train to arrive. Free breakfast and WiFi were substantial.

Hotel Montealegre

Valparaiso, Chile

Yasmin at the desk gave me a very helpful map of the city and showed me where the restaurants and cafes were. I wish I had that map when I arrived because Valparaiso is laid out helter-skelter without the common city grid of other large Chilean towns. Take the funicular up to the Naval Museum if you can. The views of the port are well worth it and the Museum ain't half bad either.

Hotel Tomebamba

Cuenca, Ecuador

The staff were very cheerful. It was fun watching the schoolchildren assemble on the playground outside the breakfast room every morning. They called a cab when I needed one.

Manso Boutique Guesthouse

Guayaquil, Ecuador

You can't beat the location: Right on the waterfront Malecon2000, with historic edifices and monuments to one side and the artist colony of Los Penas on the opposite end. What's more, the Manso provides a very relaxing atmosphere of zen-like proportions with individualized rooms, hammocks on common balcony, impromptu music/cultural events, and therapeutic massage.

Casa de Hospedaje Germania

Galapagos Islands, Ecuador

The hotel provided good value for the money considering the overpriced alternatives, yet I was asked to pay in cash and ATM problems prevented me from getting any. Hence, I only stayed one night instead of 5. I was able to contact a tour company that provided hoyel rooms AND all meals via credit card. Problem solved.

Hostal North Star

Guayaquil, Ecuador

Since I occupied a room with 3 beds, the bathroom servicing that area was open to other nearby rooms, with result that somebody dog-robbed all available toilet tissue. Not a good thing. Staff was friendly enough to give directions to nearby shopping area where ATMs were present, as well as a dynamite coffee shop. The hostel is within walking distance of the airport AND the large bus station, very advantageous in that regard.

Piedra del Mar Hotel Boutique

Puerto Lopez, Ecuador

Many aspects about the hotel were point on: Cute, great location, free breakfast. The staff were friendly too, including the cat which got thru an open window and was found sleeping in my bed. Speaking of which, my bed was never made nor the room cleaned during my entire multi-night stay. I asked about this on the second day and they said something in Spanish that sounded like they'd get around to it on the second day. Never happened even by day 3. Then the sewer 20 paces away got pumped!

Manso Boutique Guesthouse

Guayaquil, Ecuador

Compared to 2 other hotels I stayed at in Quito, this place was like the Hilton. The water was hot, the internet NEVER shut down for a second, breakfast was included, and my sleep was tranquil. No sounds of cars honking or street vendors hawking their wares at all hours of the night. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful too, arranging for taxi service when needed.

San Francisco de Quito

Quito, Ecuador

Hotel didn't have my reservation, but that was probably due to the poor internet connections in this part of the world. (43 minutes to send one email letter!) Luckily, I had the idea to log on at their computer and pull up the reservation, which was welcome after logging 8 hours in the sky and waiting in airports.

Hotel Muyurina

Machu Picchu, Peru

I had the most relaxing sleep of my life listening to the river rush forth between the mountain gorges. I was puzzled that nobody cleaned my room the following day.

Camino Verde Hostel and B&B

Monteverde, Costa Rica

It's not the B&B's fault, but the beautiful view of the water was shrouded in rain clouds during my stay. For one night, a neighboring dog whined and moaned ALL night long. B&B took measures to remedy that. Muchacha and daughter Malinska who made breakfast every morning were charming beyond belief.

Hello I'm sorry the weather was not the best, but it was raining in all Costa Rica for almost 12 days, non stop! =) Glad you enjoyed breakfast.