Location: Ireland, Gender: Male, Age: 34

Washington DC, USA

• 24th Aug 2014

YMCA Christchurch

Christchurch, New Zealand

The downstairs café and restaurant are definitely over-priced - there is little incentive for backpackers to spend money there.

• 24th May 2013

Queenstown, New Zealand

• 19th May 2013

YHA Wanaka Purple Cow

Wanaka, New Zealand

Priced a few $'s more than is reasonable

• 18th May 2013

Rotorua, New Zealand

• 8th May 2013

Base Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

Hostel was FREEZING cold!!!!! Turn off the air con and turn up the heating!

• 7th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hi Michael, Thank you! And thank you for choosing to stay at Base Backpackers Auckland. It was concerning to read that you were not happy with the temperature in the rooms. After your response we double checked the settings of air-conditioning and heater to ensure other guests do not have to experience the same. Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the team. I hope you give us another shot to exceed your expectations in this area. Safe travels, Amanda. General Manager

Bamboo Beach

Nadi, Fiji

The hostel was just not clean enough.

• 24th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

Bula Vinaka. We would like to apologise for your less than wonderful stay with us and assure you that cleanliness is a primary target for our little hostel. Our young, local housekeeping team are dedicated to achieve top cleanliness standards and they always appreciate feedback to learn and improve. We warmly invite you to contact our Housekeeping Manager on 9907901 with further details so we can target our cleanliness more effectively. Vinaka vaka levu. The Bamboo Crew.

Nomads Airlie Beach

Airlie Beach, Australia

One of the girls on the travel desk who helped me book the Fraser Island trip was fantastic! She had short blonde hair, was Australian and I think she had a small nose stud. Thank you!

• 15th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

Staff could DEFINITELY be friendlier!

• 12th Apr 2013

Parrotfish Lodge

Port Douglas, Australia

Hostel is good but could be GREAT with a little more tlc

The Nunnery

Melbourne, Australia

You guys are great but the hostel just isn't clean enough. Not by a long way.

• 10th Jan 2013

Guesthouse Naramachi

Nara, Japan

Your hospitality is great. You are so helpful and provide lots of information. Thank you!

• 8th Sep 2012

Osaka Hana Hostel

Osaka, Japan

Wonderful hostel. Loved it all. Only constructive thing I can think of saying is that perhaps you should have the option of more things to do for guests - I know there is a party once a week or so but as most people only stay 1-2 nights only the minority of people will get to experience this.

• 8th Sep 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thank you so much for your comment, it was so nice to have you here at our Hostel : ) Yes, we just started our regular party on every Tuesday, and also we would like to make more event nights. I hope you can join us on your next visit to Osaka It was a bummer you couldn't join us for Nagashi-somen party.... Thanks again for your photos!! It was so nice of you : ) Have a great day!

Kyoto Hana Hostel

Kyoto, Japan

Perhaps organise more events for guests? Otherwise I loved it!!!

• 5th Sep 2012
  • Globetrotter

Please think about including a towel in the price of rooms. It's frustrating to have to hire one. Also, 100 Yen for a towel is the MOST expensive I've paid throughout my stay in Japan. Most places charge 30-50-70 Yen at the most. Otherwise I loved your hostel, thanks for a nice time.

• 4th Sep 2012
  • Globetrotter

All the information you have around reception is really useful - thank you! The hostel is so clean - thank you to the cleaners! Like a lot of hostels you charge for a towel. Perhaps this could be included in the price in the future?

• 2nd Sep 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for the comment and the time you have given to write it. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us. The cleaners and the reception are one and the same. Its a team effort. They all play there part. Sorry we charge for towels, but of the guests that stay here, only about 10% of them do not travel with their own towel. For this reason, we do not want to charge everyone in an effort to keep the cost as low as possible. But valid point nonetheless.

Khaosan Tokyo Ninja

Tokyo, Japan

Stayed in the 20 bed dorm but it is TOO HOT! Everyone else thought so too. I stayed for almost a week and never got a good sleep. One air con for the room isn't enough. Those wooden cabins get VERY hot at night even with the door open!

• 27th Aug 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback. We are sorry for the room inconvenience. There are 2 air-conditioners and fans in each cabin dorm for good ventilation. We often ask our guests about the room temperature as well. If you feel it is too hot, you can also talk to our night staff working until 1:00am. We hope you enjoyed your stay in other parts. We are looking forward to seeing you some day in the near future. Thank you very much again.

Backpacker's Freak Hostel

Melaka, Malaysia

Staff are wonderful, amongst the best I've encountered. So helpful and friendly. However cleanliness is very poor and facilities are not great. I've seen other hostels in Melaka which offer better value for money. Please invest in giving the place a makeover.

• 19th Aug 2012

Reggae Mansion Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Not all of the reception staff are very helpful. Why don't you volunteer information to backpackers rather than having to be asked EVERYTHING?!?! Obviously people want a map and to know where the local attractions are. Why have you not good information of the KL Tower and Twin Towers rather than backpackers having to search for info online? Why have you not good information on getting to KL or Melaka rather than just telling people to go to the bus station? I'd to wait 5 hrs a for a bus.

• 16th Aug 2012

Red Inn Court

Penang, Malaysia

Staff should be more helpful and volunteer information rather than having to be asked everything. Some staff are more helpful than others but overall customer service should be improved.

• 14th Aug 2012

Zackry Guest House

Langkawi, Malaysia

Sadly the fact that the staff are excellent (i.e. friendly and helpful) and helpful doesn't make up for the fact that this hostel is just not clean enough. Locks on door are broken, light bulbs are not replaced etc. which is just NOT acceptable - why are things like this NOT fixed? NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

• 12th Aug 2012
  • Globetrotter

Pax did not inform us at all about his broken lock nor a need to replace the light bulb instead only announce them after left - on the public forum. The only way to get all of them fixed is by reporting to us straight away so we can fix them. We are not using the room, guest does.Hope this answer his own question about why these things were not fixed during his stay of 2 nights.

Pak-Up Hostel

Krabi, Thailand

Overall, fantastic. Shame you have to pay to use PCs and there's no breakfast. Staff could volunteer more information rather than having to be asked everything.

• 11th Aug 2012

I-Bed

Koh Samui, Thailand

The most friendly staff in the whole of Thailand. Nana was lovely. It's 200BHT fixed price from the ferry to the hostel with the ferry company minivan, NOT 100-150 as your information suggests. Perhaps advertise more to get the hostel more busy as it is WONDERFUL and would benefit from more people staying there.

• 6th Aug 2012

Nomads Coral Grand Koh Tao

Koh Tao, Thailand

Without doubt, this hostel has the WORST customer service I have ever experienced in a hotel or a hotel. The staff are dis-interested and even at checking in they make you feel like an inconvenience. They don't want to know about you after they've given you your room key. They're impolite and unapologetic. I confronted a lady at reception as to why she was being so rude and she asked me to go away. It put a real downer on staying in Koh Tao. Rooms are also over-priced and wif-fi is awful.

• 31st Jul 2012

Hotel Majestic

Montpellier, France

An excellently located cheap hotel. I stayed in a single private room with shared bathroom for not much more than the price of a shared dorm elsewhere. There is no breakfast or lockers but the staff are extremely helpful and everything’s on your doorstep! As it’s not a hostel as such there’s no real common area so you are unlikely to meet anyone. If you’re looking for a bed for the night in a great location I’d recommend it.

• 8th Sep 2011

InToulouse

Toulouse, France

I stayed here because surprisingly as a single traveller it doesn't seem like there’s much choice in Toulouse! The hostel is near to the metro, but it’s not central so you will need to get the metro into town which takes about 10mins. Also the area in which the hostel is located doesn’t have anything – no shops or places to eat and seems quite unsafe at night. There is no breakfast. Staff are friendly. Overall the place is fine for a bed for the night, but if you can stay more central I would.

• 6th Sep 2011

USA Hostels San Francisco

San Francisco, USA

Overall a great hostel. Thought there might be a problem with a lack of toilet facilities but I never had to queue! Recommended.

• 21st Mar 2011

Barnacles Temple Bar House

Dublin, Ireland

A clean hostel in the centre of Temple Bar, the lively area of Dublin - it may be a little noisy at night if you're planning on getting to bed early but it's location really can't be beaten. The 2.30pm check-in time and €1 per bag for the left luggage room are two minus points - they should definitely NOT charge for left luggage. The staff are very helpful, breakfast is good (altho finishes at 9.30am!) and facilities are clean. Overall this is a great hostel - recommended.

Tango Backpackers

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Nice clean hostel with a good vibe. I had a single room and although small, it was nice with a towel and soap provided. Staff are friendly and there's a nice communal area downstairs serving drinks with internet access. Very good location for Palermo but it's not as central as some other hostels to the city centre and areas such as San Telmo. Overall a good hostel.

Hostal Provenzal

La Paz, Bolivia

More like a hotel than a hostel. La Paz is a pretty dirty city so it was lovely to stay in a really clean, nice place. Lovely ensuite, TV, clean and comfy beds. The staff didn't speak ANY English was ok as I spoke a little Spanish - could be problematic otherwise. They were friendly and helpful though. I was there during June and was the only person staying that night so it was a little creepy. Has a bacpackers bar right outside which is good. Get taxi's in La Paz - don't walk at night.

Telmotango Hostel Suite

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Nice quiet hostel. Don't stay here if you're looking to party. 3 internet-free PC's, breakfast, NO bar. Staff friendly and location good for San Telmo but may be a small trek to get elsewhere/metro. I would call this a 'sensible BA hostel'.

Hostel Bambu

Foz do Iguacu, Brazil

If you're wanting to base yourself on the Brasilian side to see the falls this place is great. There's nothing worth doing or seeing in Foz de Iguazu and this place is well connected to the bus to the Park and to Puerto Iguazu too. The staff are fantastically helpful, some of the best I've met. The bar is cheap and they make great cocktails and the pool is a must in the heat. A practical hostel to chill out - I'd recommend it.

The Hostel-Inn Iguazu Falls

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

Good location for viewing the falls because even though it's not in the centre of Puerto Iguazu you wouldn't want to be, there's nothing there!!! This is more like a resort than a hostel with the large pool, good bar, good on demand and organised activities. And you can catch the bus outisde to the Argentinian side of the falls every 30mins and two buses take you to the Brasilian side in less than an hour. VERY recommended!!!

Orbit Hotel & Hostel

Los Angeles, USA

Good location although everything in LA is so spread out that doesn't help tremendously. The rooms were ok, breakfast (which you have to pay for) is good, but above all I liked the organised tour of LA - lasts 6 hours and is only $50 plus tip.

Sin City Hostel

Las Vegas, USA

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOSTEL!!!! Or any hostel in Las Vegas for that matter. What amazed me about Vegas is that the hotels are SO cheap!!!! The hotels make their money from people in the casinos so rooms are cheap therefore it makes little sense to stay in a hostel when rooms in hotels are so cheap. For example, Sin City was $20 per night and a quick check online at a site like expedia found rooms with ensuite in places like the Stratosphere for as little as $28 per night - bargain! And if you're thinking of staying at the hostel to meet people (like I did), forget about it, there's nowhere decent to socialise. And the staff are all fairly clueless about anything in Las Vegas. And finally, the regular bus which takes you into the main bit of the strip is SO slow you'll be glad you paid $10 extra to stay somewhere more central!