Alpes Huaraz

Huaraz, Peru

My view is clouded by being robbed of my passport, cards and my money as I slept in the aptly-named room 101 dormitory by another person who checked out early. Neither the hostel management showed any interest in trying to catch the culprit. Management just said it was my fault for not locking my stuff in the lockers in reception. The hostel itself was ok and the bar staff friendly.

• 6th Jul 2014

Ecopackers

Cusco, Peru

The building was wonderful and quirky. Originally 16th C, two storeys around two courtyards. The first, larger courtyard is good for lounging & getting wifi reception. The second courtyard has a (rather small) kitchen. . Nice cinema-style room for watching TV and movies. Dormitories spacious & clean, but not enough sockets or wifi reception. Some petty theft & noise from guests in dorms The reception and travel agency staff were neither particularly friendly, nor particularly unfriendly.

• 22nd Jun 2014

Hostal Sol de Oro

Arequipa, Peru

The staff and their family who lived on the premises were friendly and helpful. The building was centrally located and had great charm. There were not many other guests when we were there, which is a shame as the facilities were designed for more higher occupancy. . Internet wifi was not working sometimes. The only real problem was that it was very easy to trip over when the foor level rise or fell a few centimetres. This hazard could have been better highlighted.

• 18th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 41+

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The owner organised tours for us and gave us a free ride to the bus station when we left. The building had old-fashioned charm, especially the alligators sun bathing in the courtyard. Dormitory was clean and comfortable. Front door always locked, so good for security. Wifi mostly OK.

• 15th Jun 2014

Hwa Seong Guest House

Suwon, South Korea

Relocation of the hostel was excellent, very close to the historic centre of Suwon, with its magnificent walls and 18th-century Paris. The hostel seemed to be very good value for money for me, as I appear to be the only guest While I stayed there and had all the facilities to myself. It was scrupulously clean and the facilities were well maintained. They included use of the kitchen. I only met one member of staff, the manager, and he was perfectly polite although rather reserved.

The hostel was good and full of character, and the staff were helpful. However, when I was there, the bar area was undergoing major renovations and was rather cold and unwelcoming. The outside areas of the hostel would be very good when it is full of people and when the weather is good, but in January these were dark, deserted and cold, and not pleasant.

Nice, laid back air. Most of the staff were efficient and friendly. A rather long trek from my bed at the end of the fourth floor landing to the nearest toilet on the 3rd - longer when the toilet on that floor wasn't working. The location isn't particularly central, although there is a park full of local character nearby.

Hello: Thank you very much for the review and comments. We're sorry to hear that your impressions of our hostel were not as good as we would have hoped. We always try our best to satisfy all our guests and most people leave with a positive impression of our hostel. While we're sorry that you had a bad experience with our toilets /location . Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff. KUNMING CLOUDLAND YHA

Velkommen Backpackers

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Had a good stay. Staff were very friendly & helpful. Facilities & location good. Only 2 niggles: music in lobby sometimes too loud for my comfort, and being asked to move into a different dorm on the 3rd night (and from a lower to an upper bank).

Phuket Backpacker

Phuket, Thailand

Modern facilities. Good atmosphere! Although rather young for an old timer like me.. Some reviews have criticised the staff but I found them perfectly polite and efficient, but self-contained rather than excessively chummy. The directions the hostel gave were from the old bus station but most buses stop at the new Number 2 bus terminal: if you arrive there you should get the cheap bus rather than expensive taxi to the centre of town.

St Christopher's Greenwich

You have to take this hostel for what it is: a sleeping place above a pub, with consequent advantages and disadvantages. A bit of a shame there are no cooking facilities, but breakfast is included in the price, which is reasonable for London. The hostel staff are excellent, but I found the security guards at the pub entrance intrusive and rough around the edges.

Euro Hostel Glasgow

Glasgow, Scotland

This was my first experience of hosteling for a long time, and I was struck by how things had improved in terms of overall facilities. The staff were efficient and quietly competent. The four person en suite room was fine and clean. Good to have a bar and free wifi that worked well. The place was a little soulless on the Monday night I stayed, but probably to be expected. A little on the expensive side. Dorm walls thin so sound from neighbouring rooms carried at night.