Location: France, Gender: Female, Age: 26

High Street Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

Beautiful hostel right in the middle of the old town. The staff were lovely. I know there are many complaints about there not being any wall sockets in the rooms but I found that the biggest problem about this was the people who stationed themselves in the hallway to recharge their phones. There were constantly groups of people talking in loud voices in the hallways at every time of the night (bring earplugs). Furthermore, our room was freezing, even the hallway was warmer!

• 2nd Nov 2013

Smart Camden Hostel

I decided not to stay in this hostel because the reviews scared me too much and I've had too many bad experiences with cheap hostels in London. Unfortunately, HostelWorld requires me to leave a review so please don't take this into account.

• 12th Oct 2013

El Viajero - Hostel & Suites

Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay

Beautiful hostel with friendly staff - i would highly recommend this place for staying in Colonia. Our twin bedroom was clean and comfortable and we shared a bathroom with only one other room (though that didn't stop some ppl from using it, but that's not the hostel's fault). I really liked the big common room. The only fault at this hostel is the kitchen, it is small and in serious need of utensils, but if you're not planning to cook you'll be fine.

• 7th Oct 2013

Casa Pueblo Hostel

Mendoza, Argentina

Great staff, the couple who run this place are really lovely. I talked extensively with the woman and she gave us great tips on where to go and where to eat in the city. The facilities are basic but fine. A bonus is the wonderful parilla restaurant called Eros, that is 5 min walk away, where we ate the best meat in our lives.

• 23rd Sep 2013

Casa Fischer Hostal

Valparaiso, Chile

Lovely bed and breakfast set in the hills of Valparaiso, offering a great view. The beds in the dorms are big and really comfortable, with warm comforters. It was clean, cheap and the breakfast in the morning was to my liking. Met a great girl there and we had a wonderful time getting drinks in the nearby bars. The staff spent half an hour drawing on a map all of the places I could go to and how to get there.

• 9th Sep 2013

Eco Hostel

Santiago, Chile

Great hostel at the heart of Santiago's historic centre. The rooms are big and airy, with old hardwood floors and big windows. The staff is lovely, they were very understanding when my friend got sick and did not charge us for the night he missed. The common rooms are always full of people up for a chat or out to give advice. A bit chilly though, and the second floor only has one shower and one shower/toilet combo, but that hasn't caused much problems.

• 5th Sep 2013

Istanbul Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

Though the security was ridiculous, I slept surprisingly well. I think it's because this hostel is located in a very tourist area where all of the main hotels are so the security around the hotel was good.

• 17th May 2013

Guzel Izmir Oteli

Izmir, Turkey

Regular hotel. The staff was helpful and lovely. The doors were not soundproof though so bring earplugs.

• 15th May 2013

Istanbul Pension

Ayvalik, Turkey

Beautiful pension, very relaxed and quite. I highly recommend it.

• 12th May 2013

Istanbul Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

There were no lockers and no locks on our doors. Anyone could come in and out of the main entrance at any time. I was told someone would be at the main desk 24/7 to counterbalance this but it was not so. Service was slow, and the staff spoke very poor English while insisting they did not. Otherwise very well located near all the main attractions and the neds were comfortable. The showers worked well too.

• 10th May 2013

Isaacs Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

I was pretty disappointed by this hostel. There were no lockers available in the rooms, I could hear loud music playing all night and all day long (bring earplugs!). This is definitely more of a group hostel than for lone travellers, I had a hard time meeting new people both on the pub crawl and at the hostel. The internet did not work. The location is good though, a bus going to Dublin airport stops a few feet away.

• 28th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

So sorry that you were disappointed- Isaacs is usually (seriously )one of the best hostels in which to meet others so maybe it is just because we had a few groups in during your stay. We h ave such a great warm friendly atmosphere and the pub crawl is great craic so it is a shame you didn’t find this. The wifi should work but can intermittently go, depending on the number of guests downloads taking place so apologies for any inconvenience there

Snoozles Hostel Galway

Galway, Ireland

Very nice room and friendly staff. The hostel was in a quiet street but a few minutes away from both the bus station and the train station, and five minutes from the city centre with its shops and pubs. I had to leave early and they prepared breakfast earlier so I could eat before I left. The beds were comfortable, I was warm at night and my stuff felt safe in the lockers available in the room.

• 27th Mar 2013

Kipps Brighton

Brighton, England

Nothing to say - great hostel!

• 17th Dec 2012

Kipps Hostel Canterbury

Canterbury, England

Very nice hostel which felt like a real hotel (clean sheets, towels, mint on pillow). I did not get cold which is a very important factor to consider when booking a hostel in the winter (some hostels like to save money by turning the heating off at night). The staff was nice, it was in a quiet location but ten minute walk away from the centre of town. I would really recommend this hostel.

• 6th Nov 2012

YHA London St Pancras

This hostel felt more like a hotel where you share a room with strangers. By that I mean it did not have a backpackers atmosphere at all. It is situated right next to St Pancras though which was very useful. It was kind of expensive and because of that I mostly met families and older adults (40s) who wanted to travel cheaply. I stayed in a 6 person dorm room and every morning people would leave without turning the light off (thanks!).

• 27th Sep 2012
  • Globetrotter

This hostel has great character, I felt like I was staying in a mansion/haunted house. But that was kind of ruined by the groups of loud and crazy foreign teenagers that roamed the place at all times of the night and day. I got woken up at 3 in the morning by four american boys who barged into the room after partying and did not give a rat's ass about the people sleeping there. The downstairs restaurant was really good though, and cheap! I would recommend this place but bring earplugs!

• 23rd Sep 2012

The Royal Bayswater Hostel

To sum it up: cheapest hostel I've stayed in London, and located near Notting Hill, it's a great starting point. BUT: very dirty, horrible facilities (two bathrooms for 20 ppl and both were really gross and broken). It was very noisy (bring earplugs) and I was stressed about my stuff. Everything has a price (lockers, luggage keeping for the day). It's hard to meet other ppl. The breakfast is early and ridiculous. DO NOT get the 20 ppl room, I recommend the 8ppl room which has better value for $.

• 18th Aug 2012

The Royal Bayswater Hostel

Rooms are very cramped, bathrooms have mouldy showers with no pressure and broken toilets. Even though it's the cheapest I DO NOT RECOMMEND the 20 ppl room - there are only two bathrooms which were the worst of all (I changed rooms twice). Only one member of the staff was actually nice, the others were rarely helpful and sometimes rude. Internet was expensive and everything was charged (lockers, luggage room, wifi). Breakfast was bare minimum and very early. The 6-ppl room is a good deal.

• 14th Aug 2012

Hotel Anjou

Biarritz, France

Doors are NOT soundproof. The hotel is well-located and clean, the bed was comfortable but I did not enjoy getting woken up every night by party-goers coming home. It sounded like they were walking into my room every time. Breakfast not included and you're not allowed to eat in the rooms. Bathroom was kind of small.

• 4th Aug 2012
  • Globetrotter

It was ok. It was great to meet new people but that meant lots of noise in the back alley till very late. The rooms were normal-sized and clean. The beds are comfortable. But the bathrooms are again that example of toilet-shower set which means that anyone taking a shower in the morning forces the others to wait to take a simple pee. The bathrooms did not have either hand towels or hand dryers and there was no shower rug. It got REALLY gross at the end of the day (bring flip-flops).

• 24th Jul 2012

Living Cat's Hostel

Madrid, Spain

VERY BUSY AT THIS TIME OF YEAR. Expect a lot of people, not a lot of privacy and huge groups arriving every day and monopolizing the front desk. Luckily the hostel is big enough (with enough bathrooms) to accommodate all these people but if you're looking for some peace and quiet, go somewhere else. otherwise this was my second stay and the patio was gorgeous! Great value for money just to get to see that stained-glass ceiling!

• 13th Jul 2012

The Cathedral Hostel

Murcia, Spain

The hostel was practically empty when i was there, the only staff was a poor italian boy who had just arrived in Murcia and wasn't much help and could barely speak spanish or english. The hostel is a nice place with big rooms and situated in an old building. The breakfast was horrible. The showers were tiny and the toilets and showers were put together which did not allow for much privacy. The street was very noisy at night so bring earplugs, but it was right in the city center.

• 10th Jul 2012
  • Globetrotter

Beautiful hostel with a gorgeous open patio. But it serves as a tapas bar at lunch and diner time so get ready for a lot of random people walking in. Otherwise it was very quiet when I was there. There is one shared bathroom (with the toilet INSIDE) for each floor for the shared rooms (private rooms have private bathrooms) which means you will need to wait to pee in the morning if someone is showering.....

• 30th Jun 2012

Hotel La Perla

Almeria, Spain

I went out of season and during my exam period so it was nice to have a room to myself with bathroom, tv and fridge for just 25€ a night. The location is perfect, it's just off a busy street full of shops and a 10 min walk from the beach. The staff was always helpful and as far as I'm concerned it wasn't noisier than any other Spanish city at night. This is a hotel though so it was impossible to meet new people but if you want a break from hostels it's a pretty value for money.

• 21st Jun 2012

Makuto Backpackers Hostel

Granada, Spain

Good value for money, not your typical hostel, very authentic with wonderful staff. I always go here when I travel to Granada.

• 30th Apr 2012

Simple, clean, quiet.

• 29th Apr 2012
  • Globetrotter

I've stayed there twice and every time I end up meeting new people and having a great time. It's a bit far from the city center (20-30 min walk) but right on the beach. You do get some pretty bad sewer smells from time to time, but the hostel itself is lovely with a big terrace and a big kitchen. The staff is always eager to help out (I was cold my first night so George gave me a second blanket) and there's a delicious home-cooked meal like paella with barbecue every night.

• 16th Mar 2012

Makuto Backpackers Hostel

Granada, Spain

Beautiful location, the staff was wonderful, i felt right at home straight away. They have everything that I consider a "must" for great hostels but that people tend to undervalue: heating in the winter, separate bathroom with hot showers and big lockers. Unless you are a midget though I recommend avoiding the middle bunk or you will spend 10 minutes trying to get to bed like I did :)

• 27th Jan 2012

Rivoli Cinema Hostel

Porto, Portugal

The hostel is beautifully decorated in a Cinema theme (we were in the "Kubrick" room), the rooms were well organized with two bathrooms and two showers on every floor. The "Parking" mentioned on the page is paid though, the hostel does not have one. One of the staffers, a brunette with long curly hair, was really nice and helpful, and was obviously sorry when we expressed our outrage at not finding the free parking. There are video games and free chocolate cake, and the breakfast is delicious!

• 7th Dec 2011

Equity Point Lisboa

Lisbon, Portugal

Gorgeous hostel with big rooms, comfortable beds and lots of bathrooms and (hot) showers to go around. My friends and I adopted one of the tables in the kitchen and we felt so at home we stayed in most evenings and chatted over wine and sandwiches. It IS hard to find though so make sure you have a proper map before showing up, do NOT use gps or you'll be doing a lot of unnecessary climming. The staff were really helpful and they have heating!

• 3rd Dec 2011

Urbany Hostel Sevilla

Seville, Spain

I did not spend a good time at this hostel because I was FREEZING during the night and didn't get any sleep. There is no one at reception from 11 pm to 7 am so I couldn't ask to turn the heating on (I didn't see any anyway) or for an extra blanket. The staff were nice though, the breakfast good, the hostel is really well located in sevilla and the overall look of the hostel really nice. I just don't recommend this hostel during the winter.

• 2nd Dec 2011