Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 27

Flipside Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

The guys at the front desk were amazing. The local staff was ok and had so-so English skills. When we checked in, we got 2 top bunks. I asked if we could have 1 bottom and 1 top, the girl said it was impossible (even though 5 beds were empty). When a new person checked in and got a top bunk, he asked if he could have the bottom and she agreed. Wi-Fi wasn't working well so I asked the girl to restart the router she didn't do it and continued to do something else. I asked 2x and just gave up.

• 1st Jan 2016
  • Globetrotter

Definitely a party hostel and very social place. They do pub crawls almost daily, and with the 2 free beers, it's hard to resist not going out. The people that work at the hostel are pretty cool, with the expats joining you on the pub crawls. Also, the location of this place is in the expat party area of Saigon, so it's really easy to navigate around to find food, drinks and go sight seeing. Would recommend this place if you want to meet a lot of people and have fun (sleep, not so much).

• 30th Dec 2015

Town House 50 Saigon

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

I really enjoyed my stay here, it was nice. It had the best free breakfast of any hostel that I've stayed at. The staff was really nice and helpful, although a little pushy at times to sell their tours. I think the tours are definitely a little more on the pricier side, so if you're looking for more budget options then find your own outside of the hostel. The atmosphere was less social because it's a hotel and a hostel. It was hard to meet people at times. Wi-Fi was ok, could be more stable.

• 27th Dec 2015

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

The staff and the atmosphere was great. I loved that they had their own drivers so you don't have to negotiate a price or feel like you're getting ripped off. They also arrange group tuk tuks to see Angkor Wat which saves you money and is easy for you to meet others. I was there on Christmas and there was a party for the staff and guests, it was a fun experience hanging out with locals and their families. Wi-Fi would go in and out though, so it was slightly frustrating. The pool was awesome.

Envoy Hostel Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This hostel was extremely clean and well taken care of. The hostel looked like an old French colonial home that was renovated into a hostel, it was really gorgeous. The rooms and beds were super comfortable. The lockers were big enough for your pack or suitcase. Staff was also generally pretty friendly and helpful. Only thing was that the atmosphere was really quiet. I only met 3 people my whole time because not many people were in the common area and my room never had any more than 1-2 people.

The best part was the free breakfast. The atmosphere is very social, but the noise travels easily to the rooms. My room was facing the front and I heard music and people drinking loudly until 2 am. The WI-FI was really bad, I could barely get a connection. The bathrooms were ok, but there was a leaky sink at the end that splattered your feet. The toilets sometimes were filled with dirty tissues or ran out of paper. Lastly be careful of scams with overly friendly locals who try to take you out!

Kounsavan Guest House

Luang Prabang, Laos

There are really limited hostel choices in Laos, but this one was one of the few good options. The space is very open and since I went in the winter, it was very cold. The showers had hot water, so it was good. The free breakfast option was also pretty good with omelettes, pancakes or toast as a choice. The mattresses were a little thin and the frames are cheap metal so it's very squeaky. Also, the wi-fi was AWFUL and it was nearly impossible to get a connection unless it was very early or late.

Green Tiger Vegetarian House

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Overall this hostel was really great. The bathrooms were clean and had free toiletries. This property is also a hotel, so the main lobby is really open and spacious. It's not a party hostel. There is a swimming pool and a restaurant. The free breakfast is only toast, mango jam, coffee and tea. My only complaint is that because the property is a hotel and a hostel it was rather hard to socialize and meet people outside of your room as in the common area the tables are designed for small groups.

Check Inn HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

I was only here for a stopover, but the hostel was very comfortable and it was great. Hostels in HK are generally pretty pricy and small in terms of space, but I liked my overall experience. The staff was really friendly in greeting me and there were a lot of people socializing in the main common area. The beds were fairly comfortable, a little on the harder side and there were lockers for everyone's stuff. It definitely was not a party hostel, so it was easy to go to sleep at night.

Ecomama

Amsterdam, Netherlands

This hostel was awesome. I loved the whole eco-friendly theme. The staff was great. The crowd was very hipster, yet social. We stayed in a private room and the room was very comfortable. It was a converted old storage container with everything made of recycled materials! The hostel even has bike rentals and the showers have limits. I would recommend this place to anyone staying in Amsterdam who wants a unique experience outside of the red light district that's more chill and not a party hostel.

• 26th Nov 2014

Ostello Bello

Milan, Italy

The staff was very friendly and the downstairs area is an open cafe where both guests and locals like to hang out. The social areas were cool. I enjoyed the free breakfast and the rooms were clean, comfortable, and nice. The location was good and it was easy to get around to most touristy spots in Milan by foot. I see a lot of complaints about value, but honestly, you pay for what you get. If you want a comfortable travel experience, I would recommend staying here when visiting Milan.

• 19th Nov 2014

H Rado Hostel

Santiago, Chile

Staff was great and the location was awesome. I had a short stay here, but everything I needed was provided and ready for me. I would stay here again in the future!

The Closest Hostel

Seoul, South Korea

I really enjoyed my stay here. Rick, the owner, is super nice and puts a lot of extra effort in making sure that his guests enjoy themselves in Seoul. This is not a party hostel or a large hostel, so if you’re looking for an experience to get crazy, don't bother. Staying here feels like a friend’s apartment. It’s perfect if you enjoy more privacy and plan on going out most of the day. To see a more detailed review on this place and some pictures, check out my blog at www.workleavebalance.com

We also had great time with you. It is a small hostel and we would love to share our everyday with guests. Thanks again for your great review! :-)

Red Carabao Community

Manila, Philippines

Love this guesthouse! Chilled out atmosphere and very communal, like hanging out at a friend’s place. It's in a residential area about 10 min to metro station, which is crowded but cheap, Old Downtown, produce market and Banaue buses. They put on a bunch of fun events like hookah and pub crawls. Road work was a little troublesome for walking, but you can take trikes around. Read my full review of this hostel, some photos and other survival tips for Manila on my blog www.workleavebalance.com

We love you more, girl! No. 5 on the «10 Off the Beaten Path Things in Manila» is big deal. Everyone should read your travel blog before booking us!

Guesthouse U-En

Osaka, Japan

Khaosan Kyoto Theater

Kyoto, Japan

This hostel was very awesome, one of the cleanest and best facilities that I have ever stayed at. The staff was also helpful and had lots of maps and recommendations ready to go for food. I loved that the beds had their own curtains and private cubes, the Japanese toilets were amazing, and the bathrooms were well stocked with toiletries. Also, there's a bar in the basement and a kitchen area where people socialize. I would definitely recommend staying here if you want a clean facility.

We really appreciate your great feedback!! We feel our effort rewarded!! We all hoping you to stay here again! See you soon :)

Hostel One Home

Prague, Czech Republic

This place was pretty cool. The staff were really chill and friendly and made an effort to learn your name. Also, this place is much less of a party hostel compared to their sister hostel, Hostel One Prague. It's confusing, but I accidentally went to the wrong place at first, so when booking make sure you have the exact address and know how to get here. Otherwise, this place does a lot of events with their sister hostel such as pub crawls. Overall, I would stay here again when coming to Prague!

Jetpak Alternative

Berlin, Germany

Jetpak was awesome! The beds were the most comfortable that I have ever slept on at any hostel (they were foam mattresses)! The staff was amazing and helpful, and I loved that they made you free coffee in the mornings. The hostel isn't too close to most touristy sites downtown, but the neighborhood definitely makes up for it, as it's a popular hipster spot that people on the Alternative Berlin tours will take tour groups to. There's tons of cheap food and good bars in the area. Stay here!

Hostel Gallo d'Oro

Florence, Italy

The hostel staff here was amazing, as they were super friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was great, lots of selection. It was very homey and had a great atmosphere of people. My experience here was pretty good. I would stay here if you are looking for a nice experience. My only complaint was that it's a little further away from the tourist attractions and the train station, but honestly, Florence isn't that big of a city so it made a small difference of maybe 5-10 min more walking.

Bassetto Guesthouse

Florence, Italy

I stayed at this hostel because I wanted to explore the Tuscan countryside. This place was a seminary turned into a villa. It felt like an authentic experience. Also, the hostel set up a dinner with a local farmer. It was an amazing experience! Wine, pasta, vineyards, it was one of the best experiences I had in Italy. They also helped me with a Vespa rental, which made going around the countryside even more fun. This place is a no frills, simple place with lots of character, not a fancy hostel.

Academy Hostel

Florence, Italy

This place was awesome. Loved that they offered free breakfast and pasta/ wine for happy hour around 6:30 pm! The people that worked at the hostel were great and the location was definitely the best in the city compared to other hostels. It was within a 10-15 min walking distance to anything, and literally down the street from the Duomo. The rooms were really cool, and I loved we got free towels. This is not a party hostel, so it's a great, chill atmosphere and easy to sleep. Stay here!

thank you so much for good words about us!

Discovery Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The hostel was awesome, one of the best free breakfasts available. Also the employees were super nice and helpful and the hostel atmosphere was really nice. It's also conveniently close to the metro station, beach and Lapa neighborhood. The place is a good mix of social hostel without being too crazy of a party place. I would definitely would recommend it to anyone looking for a good place in Rio!

Pariwana Hostel Cusco

Cusco, Peru

This place was very awesome. I loved the atmosphere, the facilities, the staff, and the activities the hostel held. It was very social and easy to meet people. I loved that they had live bands at the bar. Also the beds were pretty comfortable and the rooms were really clean. I would recommend staying here if you need a cool place. Also if you stay at both Pariwana hostels in Lima and Cusco, you can get a free t-shirt!!

• 2nd Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

We stayed here after hiking Machu Picchu and the first thing we wanted to do was shower. There was barely any running water coming from the bathrooms and it was freezing water. We did this hike in the winter, so it was chilly. This was out biggest complaint. Otherwise, the beds were pretty comfortable, and although it was cold, we were given really thick blankets. The hostel wasn't super social either, as the common rooms are scattered throughout, so it made it hard to meet people.

• 30th Dec 2013
  • Globetrotter

This hostel was so awesome that we ended up staying here another time on our way through Lima. The atmosphere of this place is really cool. I loved the rooftop deck, as it made it really easy to socialize and meet other people. I also liked the organized group activities. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• 25th Dec 2013

City Backpackers Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

This hostel was amazing, I've met some of the best people here and still stay in touch with all of them. I loved the feel of the rooms and the atmosphere, it felt like a submarine meets IKEA. I went in the winter and they provided free ice skates, so a bunch of us went ice skating at a nearby park for free. They also had this cool ice swimming, viking excursion. Very creative things. It was an extremely comfortable place, I would come back to this place the next time I am staying in Stockholm.

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

Had a great time at this hostel. It's very large and social, but not too much of a party hostel. It was also in a great location in Copenhagen. Made it really easy to get around to see all of the various sites. I would definitely stay here again in the future!

• 23rd Nov 2013

Cheers Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

The hostel was great! I'd definitely recommend coming to Cheers. The free breakfast was amazing and delicious Turkish style, best out of any hostel I've ever been to. The staff was also great and friendly. They are very helpful and greeted us by name as we entered and left. I also loved that they had a roof top bar with a spectacular view of the Hagia Sophia. The hostel is in a great location, everything is within walking distance of all the major sites in Istanbul. I miss being there!

NapPark Hostel at Khao San

Bangkok, Thailand

Loved this hostel! It was so unique and the facilities are great. Staff was super friendly and also offered organized tours around Bangkok. I loved how much character there was with the appearance of the hostel. Would definitely come back!

Patong Backpacker Hostel

Phuket Patong Beach, Thailand

Hostel was in a great location, right by the beach and on New Year's Eve, they organized some fun games. However, I would consider staying elsewhere next time. The staff was friendly but had difficulty sometimes communicating with guests in English with very standard questions. Also the security of location was ok, it's in a very bustling area but a guest got mugged right outside of our hostel in the early morning while waiting for transport to the airport. It was noisy depending on your room.

River City Inn

Singapore, Singapore

This hostel was great, very clean and safe. The social space was the best part. Getting up in the morning and eating free breakfast plus socializing with all the guests. The staff was very professional and nice and accomodating. We arrived almost at 3 am because of a flight delay and Jackie still took the time to give us a tour, some water and answer our questions. Definitely would recommend this place and would come back again.

• 26th Dec 2011