Hatters Hostel- Liverpool

Liverpool, England

Location was pretty good, close to the main train station and not far from the city centre. Nice and very large common room/bar area. Lockers were small and not in the dorms themselves. Biggest negative would be the beds, flimsiest mattress I've ever slept on, you could feel the individual springs on it. When your slogan starts with "Better beds" they really should be "better" beds, though the bed I slept on in their Birmingham location was nice and firm.

Budget Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

In the heart of the Old Town, which has it's advantages and disadvantages (like noise of people leaving the bars tipsy and loud). Cool bar/common room area with very reasonably priced drinks and organized activities. My team won at the quiz night! Biggest complaint would be the men's bathroom nearest my dorm, there's like no room or privacy to change for the shower (my dorm was mixed so that wasn't an option.) Pricing was expensive, but my booking was last-minute and during festival season.

Argyle Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

I liked the location, not far from the Old Town without being in the middle of it so you don't hear all the drunken people leaving the bars in the middle of the night. Charming old building made converted from two townhouses. On the other hand, the bunk beds were old and wobbly and didn't have any guards on the top bunk. There was also a mildew smell when I walked into the dorm. Small lockers, and the reception not being 24 hours would be small gripes as well.

YHA Manchester

Manchester, England

Like the other YHA I had been to, seemed recently renovated. New sturdy beds. Only negative was the ensuite bathroom. It was pre-fab and assembled in one corner of the room, really strange.

YHA York

York, England

Seems recently renovated and the nicest facilities I've seen in a hostel on my trip. A bit far from the city centre though, like 20-25 min. A trek from the train station.

Astor Hyde Park

Hostel A Silk Tree Yokohama

Yokohama, Japan

Very basic service, very small room (Japanese-style futon on tatami mat) but it's private and you get your own fridge, coin-operated showers but you don't have to rent a towel like some hostels.

Kyoya Ryokan

Nagoya, Japan

Easily the best hostel experience I've had so far in Japan. The bike rentals were great since Kyoto is so easy to get around by bike. The place looks narrow from the outside but doesn't feel that way from inside. Nice, bright, & modern looking.

Capsule Inn Kinshichou

Tokyo, Japan

the place was run down and looked like it hadn't been renovated since it opened. The light in my capsule didn't work, neither did the TV or radio. Didn't care about the latter since I don't understand much Japanese, but it was making periodic noises until some fiddling around with the controls (in the dark). Didn't complain because I was too tired, and the language barrier with the staff. They seemed nice enough, though spoke little English. Got a tall (but not wide) locker, not bad.

Jimbocho Sakura Hotel