Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 29

Hostel Hahn

Frankfurt Hahn, Germany

I stayed at Hostel Hahn for one night to make a Ryanair connection at Frankfurt Hahn the next day. I requested a pick-up for a late night arrival, however I was unable to call the owner and just took a taxi (9 Euros). Unfortunately the owner had already come to pick me up! Despite the confusion, the owner was extremely gracious. The accommodations were impeccable and I was able to grab the bus back to the airport easily the next day. Highly recommended!

Oops Design Hostel

Paris, France

Oops, I stayed here! JK, once you accept the fact that Paris is expensive and by extension so are the hostels there, then Oops is just fine. Note that it is run like a hotel; key cards open rooms full of bunk beds with one bathroom. They kick you out of the room in the middle of the day, but there’s breakfast in the morning. Very clean with slow wifi.

Old Town Hostel

Zadar, Croatia

Zadar itself is about as exciting as a movie starring Paul Giamatti. I spent a night in Zadar awaiting a Ryanair flight the next day. Old Town Hostel is conveniently located in the old city and is easy to find. It was clean and I got good service from the staff.

Luka's Lodge

Hvar, Croatia

If only there were overly detailed instructions on how to get Luka’s Lodge from the catamaran drop-off point---OH WAIT, THERE ARE BOZO! If you can’t find Lukka’s Lodge from those instructions you deserve to starve at the pier at the feet of a yacht owner. You also don’t deserve to pet the cute puppies and kittens which live on the path to Lukka’s Lodge. I had great accommodations there, very clean, but watch out upon check-in, you might get sassed by this young lady who spits out zingers.

Rooms Ramona

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Drenched in sweat after climbing a mountain of stairs from Pile Gate (bus drop-off point), I arrived at what I thought was Rooms Ramona, though I was not sure because it was someone’s home and there were no signs. After being greeted by the owner’s extremely kind mother with a cold glass of water I was shown to my room. The rest of my stay was wonderful. The old city is only 7 minutes walk away and there is a stunning view of the water from the terrace.

Second Home Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

I felt like I was trapped in a Dave Matthews Band song while watching leagues of tiny ants go marching on and on near my bag in the mixed dormitory (no, I did not keep food in my bag, lulz). And as if the presence of ant militia was not enough, the ceiling of the shower was a shade of green. Lastly, the basement dormitory lacked any kind of deterrent to prevent someone from the street to walk in and steal the treasured ants. Despite this, the staff is great and the atmosphere was verysocial.

Sihome Backpackers Hostel

Vientiane, Laos

When I arrived at Sihome they had overbooked the private rooms so they gave me a room at the Sihome Hotel next door at no additional charge. Sihome Hotel was nicer than the hostel, so that was a serendipitous win in my book. Maybe I should be reviewing Sihome Hotel somewhere else then? Actually I should head to the gym now and wail on my lats, because, after all, it is beach season.

Laos Haven Hotel

Vang Vieng, Laos

Laos Haven stands out as a white monolith of cleanliness among the happy, funky backpacker joints in the ghost town that is Vang Vieng (it has quieted down a bit since the riverside bars were shut down). They serve a hearty breakfast for free and also do laundry by the kg. That said, I did have one bad experience in which the staff member took me across the street to arrange a tuk-tuk for a day.

Thank you for your positive review and comment and we will reconsider sending our guest to the Tuk Tuk service across our hotel

Sihome Backpackers Hostel

Vientiane, Laos

I stayed at Sihome for one night while in transit to Vang Vieng. Though the walls are poorly illustrated with pictures of aliens, I hardly felt like an alien non-citizen resident when I was in Vientiane at Sihome. My room was clean and the A/C was strong. Sihome's strengths lie in their additional amenities: free breakfast, a pool table (good condition) and a movie room, which I did not use, but looked like a good place to chillax in.

The Mad Monkey

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

“Just call me maybeeee!” were the words I could hear through my second floor private room with two beds (room #2), as I recovered from long day of deep historical immersion into the atrocities commited by the Khmer Rouge. After a somber day, listening to western pop songs really got me into the mood to don a bro-tank and drink cheap drafts amongst the backpackers at the Mad Monkey. Though the bathroom resembled the Tuol Sleng prison, my room was sufficiently clean. Staff is very helpful.

Siem Reap Rooms

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Fit for an Angkor king, Siem Reap Rooms is a quiet, spotlessly clean accomodation for any enterprising Tomb Raider or ordinary Joe with a safari hat and fanny pack full of hand sanitizer. Just a 10-minute walk from downtown Siem Reap (e.g. pub-street, NIght Market), SSR is located conveniently enough to all da action. The staff is always smilings my favorite and was incredibly helpful to me, arranging mini-bus transport to Phenom Penh. A great place to relax after a long day in the hot sun.

Tucked under the shadow of the Alhambra, the White Nest Granada's sumptuousness is a equally fit for a Nasrid king or a weary backpacker, whichever you may be. While sipping on free coffee or tea among the flowing water and billowing neon curtains in the lounge you'll feel like Alec Guiness in Lawrence of Arabia. Needless to say the rooms are resplendent, featuring walls adorned with fantastic geometric shapes, luxurious free towels, palatial beds and a decadent rainfall showerhead. Get some.