Location Australia, Gender Male, Age 39

Little Hanoi Hostel, Hanoi, Vietnam
20th Nov 2013

It's true the staff here are very happy, friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good I had a fresh bread bun 2 eggs and bacon, fresh fruit and coffee every morning. It's in a good location I walked every where no problem. The staff booked me my trips to Halong and Hoa Lu - Tam Coc. Both great! ESP Tam Coc better than Halong for me!

River City Inn, Singapore, Singapore
13th Nov 2013

+s: Clean and secure. Not far from the Clarke Quay MRT station (but the directions are confusing) Not so +: Yep, there are rules. Which can be a good thing for respect of other people but I think it goes too far here and damages the atmosphere here. I'm not looking to party all night long but there was hardly a chatter in the common areas. I did not find the staff particularly helpful. Breakfast is average but will get u started. I've stayed in many hostels a lot better not sure about 93% rating

Inka's Rest, Puno, Peru
7.7
6th Nov 2012

Not my favourite hostel in 9 months of travel south America but it sure does the trick. The owners are very flexible and helpful. I was on a tight schedule and they booked me a tour out to the lake and and on going bus before I even arrived. A nice touch with pancakes and fruits in the breakfast :) Friendly common area upstairs was good to meet others. Just a few strange pipe smells around the corridors but not in the dorms so it didn't dominate...

Flying Dog Hostel Iquitos, Iquitos, Peru
25th Oct 2012

I found the guys at Flying Dog very friendly and helpful. I had a 4 bed dorm which was clean and spacious. The breakfast is a bit light on (even compared to other Flying Dogs in Peru) and the wifi is slow but it is in the worlds biggest jungle and they are upfront about that so no qualms there. Overall had a great time in Iquitos and at the Flying Dog. Thanks guys. Ps if traveling through Peru ask for a Travelling Card to get discounts at the other Flying Dogs. It all helps!

The Pelican Larry Hostel, Cali, Colombia
7.1
17th Oct 2012

Well I only stayed one night. But it's one of the most average hostels I be stayed in for a long while. The best thing about it is the Aguila grandes for 2.5mil, free coffee 24/7 and the free towel use. But otherwise staff a little so so, building a little run down and wifi only in front. And you need to check their tally on your drinks. My was very wrong!

Black Sheep Hostel Medellin, Medellin, Colombia
20th Sep 2012

It felt like home. It's a big house down a lovely leafy street. Close to Exito & Poblado Metro station. Walking distance to Parque Lleras and a few good large shopping centres (malls) with cinema (in English) the house is incredibly clean. They don't seem to stop. The staff (esp Juliana & Mary) are super sweet and friendly never blinking an eye to the continuous (and same) questions. The sheets are super white & smooth! A huge TV with cable. Several hangout areas, cheap cold beers and a BBQ

El Viajero Cartagena Hostel, Cartagena, Colombia
30th Aug 2012

Oh the air-conditioning ohhhh the air-conditioning!!! Bliss! A pool would make this place near perfect, but you can't expect everything right!! Great location. Breakfast is fine. Friendly helpful staff and good wifi. That's most based covered well.

Aluna Casa y Cafe, Santa Marta, Colombia
28th Jul 2012

I stayed at Aluna for 10-12 so I got to test a few of the rooms and get to know the staff. Aluna is more of a guest house than hostel. It has as many private rooms if not more than dorms. Best dorm is upstairs with all the windows! It's clientele is often a little older (if you want late nights drinking La Brisa Loca is the place for you!) The only neg I would say is the kitchen could do with a refresh of pans etc

Republika Divanga, Taganga, Colombia
6.9
23rd Jul 2012

I didn't have a bad stay at Casa Divanga. But I think that was due to the good people it attracts. The hammocks in the courtyard are perfect. I slept out there one night. The room I had was pretty hot! My biggest concern was security any one can walk right in. But you do get a locker and a key so ultimately it's up to you to remember to lock it!!! Ps I heard multiple stories of muggings on the walk over to Playa Grande! (July2012)

La Pinta, Bogota, Colombia
11th Jul 2012

Staff here are great. Always happy to help, offer advice and beg you to take safe options or routes to the city attractions. The location is not central but for me was great! I felt very safe in Chapinero and actually is a good between the city centre and the shopping & bars further north. Breakfast is fine. The wifi is great! And the bathrooms very clean! What stood out about La Pubta is the honesty system for snacks soft drinks and beers! Just help yourself and noted down what you had! :)

• Australia,
Copacabana Wave, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
6.9
31st Mar 2012

Generally I found the place a little annoying. Guys toilets only down stairs. Breakfast in the middle of the foyer/reception area and confusion regarding my booking and having to be moved in the middle of the night! But at the end of the daytime was fine.

Recanto das Estrelas, Morro de Sao Paulo, Brazil
29th Feb 2012

I enjoyed my stay here. Sandro helps you feel very comfortable immediately! And sometimes drinks start to flow spontaneously to form a little street part. The real treat is if you get a visit from Pablo! A local singer who sat and sung to us for hours! Perfect! It's not a hostel but I met and made new friends here very easily. Thanks Sandro

HI Praia do Forte Hostel, Praia do Forte, Brazil
24th Feb 2012

I ended up staying here for a week with a blustered ankle post Carnaval 2012. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Continuing to offer material and ice to wrap my ankle and always checking how I was going. The hammocks were perfect for me too! The common areas are good and clean and the breakfast very good! And for a little extra touch staying gives you a free pass to Project Tomar, the local turtle sanctuary :)

Albergue do Pelo, Salvador, Brazil
6.6
19th Feb 2012

If you asked me the 1st night, I probably would have put Poor for nearly everything. I was there during Carnaval it was one of the few places that did not require a booking for 7 nights. I ended up staying longer afterwards and the price dropped to something more expected for the quality. It's a little run down but the guys (though do not speak much English) kept the place clean and were friendly and tried their best to help.