Hostel del Mar

Puerto Lopez, Ecuador

Hostel Piedra del Mar in Puerto Lopez, Ecuador, is surely the most attractive hostel in that beach town. With a lovely blue swimming pool and many trees and plants in the lobby, the atmosphere is very welcoming and relaxing. They also serve excellent meals in the lobby bistro and the location is very central. But, the best part is the friendly and helpful staff, ready to be of service at every moment. There are quite a few steps to climb but I always had willing hands to help with my luggage.

Mallki Hostel

Cuenca, Ecuador

This cozy new hostel is a good place to start your time in Cuenca because its within an easy walk to the Historic Old Center and the main square. Both the neighborhood and the hostel, itself, are very quiet, so sleep comes easily, both in the dorms and the private room. But the best part is host, Giovanni, with his welcoming smile and can-do attitude. He can accomplish anything!

Hotel Jeshua

Guayaquil, Ecuador

I enjoyed my two nightd in Hotel Jeshua. It's very clean and quiet and the owners are wonderful. The bed was comfortable and I slept well.

Santa Fe Hostel

Lima, Peru

I enjoyed my stay there.

Puriwasi

Lima, Peru

This is s small, quiet,intimate hostel, and therefore, it's easy to make friends there. The staff are always smiling and very helpful. The drawbacks are built-into the architecture and may not bother everybody. This hostel fills three floors with 36 steps to the reception area and another 36 to the rooftop kitchen breakfast area. There aren't enough bathrooms. But you do get to know your fellow hostelers as you trip on their feet passing between the sofa and the TV, which nobody seems to mind.

Hostel El Español

Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay

The staff is cheerful and hard-working, but no one speaks English, so some things fall between the cracks. This hostel has a capacity for many guests and accepts large family groups, as well as children; so the public areas can become extremely noisy with dug-in, socializing crowds. The lobby was directly off my dorm-room which made it frequently hard to sleep. Also, you will need an umbrella to access any of the shared-bathrooms, as the three toilet/shower rooms surround the open-air patio.

This is a new and attractive hostel, right on Sarandi Boulevard, the pedestrian street through the middle of Ciudad Vieja, the scenic Old Town. The staff is extremely helpful, beds and rooms are comfortable. Breakfast is plentiful.

Hostel Portones de Carrasco

Montevideo, Uruguay

It's like being a well-cared-for member of Mercedes' own family. A unique opportunity to experience an English Country House in a Spanish-speaking setting. Within walking distance of much modern shopping, as well as the Rambla and the beach.

El Galope Horse Farm

Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay

El Galope is a charming, small working horse ranch in the lush, fertile countryside between Montevideo and Colonia, Uruguay. Monica and Miguel will make you feel like one of the family and yet give you all the privacy and downtime you need in the separate guest quarters, complete with its own kitchen and living room. You can choose to sleep in or go early-morning horseback riding or you can walk to a nearby milking barn to watch or to feed the calves. Monica can really cook great meals!

Hi , Thank you for your comment and rating. It was really nice having you here too. Cheers Miguel and Monica

Punto Berro Hostel

Montevideo, Uruguay

I spent New Year's Eve here and enjoyed the cookout and the great hospitality.

Punto Berro Hostel

Montevideo, Uruguay

Punto Berro Hostel is a very homey, welcoming hostel in Pocitos, the best neighborhood in Montevideo. I stayed because the local Expat Christmas Eve Party was held in their beautiful outdoor patio and our hosts cooked an Uruguayan Steak Parradilla barbeque. The hostel is two blocks from the waterfront Rambla, a great place to watch the fireworks. Sleep in the 6 bunk, mixed dorm was very good and all was very quiet.

The brand-new, Hanging Gardens of Babylon Hostel, here in Montevideo, Uruguay, is the most wonderful hostel I have ever stayed in and that has been a whole lot of hostels all over the world. At $20 per night for a new and comfortable bunk bed, it's really hard to beat. I It's a restored mansion whose inner patios drip with plants, hanging from the ceiling, in pots everywhere. Walls sport Bolivian crafts and beauty. Soon, an artisan marketplace with crafts, food and music will be open , too.

This hostel offers a Great Sleeping Cubicle! It's one of the most-attractive, quietest, modern, easy-to-sleep-in hostels I've been in & I'm VERY experienced. The unique construction creates tiny, totally-dark bed cubicles, like a ship's inner cabins. Shared bath down the hall. Everything squeaky clean. Swedish Modern, near train/bus station. Huge breakfast. No partying, 24-hour staff. Claustrophobics might beware. My single room with 2 twins was 8x8. Underbed only luggage spot. No windows.

The Red Boat Mälaren

Stockholm, Sweden

Cute and authentic, The Red Boat is a great experience. The four-bunk staterooms are comfy with not a lot of spare room for piles of luggage but we all managed. This is a former tourist ship now tied to the waterside in line with two other boats, one of which is a restaurant, so things are lovely and convenient. Frederick is very welcoming and helpful. This is what hosteling is all about. I'm 76 and have been doing it for years. You can't beat this one!

Oslo Hostel Central

Oslo, Norway

This is a lovely, brand-new hostel with the amenities of a hotel but the casual friendliness of a hostel. It's within walking distance of many shops and restaurants, as well as the transport hub. Very quiet and comfortable. Good laundry facilities and a fine breakfast.

Las Musas Hostel

Madrid, Spain

This is an excellent hostel with the most wonderful atmosphere, thanks in large part to the genuine, caring hospitality of the staff. This was my second stay here within six weeks and upon my return, I was greeted like long-lost family and felt so at home again. The beds are comfortable and in my 4-bed dorm were all single twin beds not bunks. It is always quiet, inside and on the streets around. Socially easy because of the great lunches and paella dinners served in the common room. Top Notch!

Almedina Coimbra Hotel

Coimbra, Portugal

This is a regular hotel, so what's not to like? I needed to treat myself to a private room after hosteling for nearly a year and the Almedina Coimbra Hotel worked very well for me, with even a bathtub instead of a shower stall. The surrounding streets don't offer a large restaurant selection so I kept returning to an excellent Italian restaurant nearby, Giovanni & Joaquin' s recommended by the staff. The University is a bit of an uphill hike or a bus ride away.

Peniche Welcome Hostel

Peniche, Portugal

It's a family hostel (parents & two nice children) and I liked them. It's just that the building and its location is doomed to be perpetually noisy. It's like trying to sleep inside of a drum while the "inside noise" - creaky wooden hallway, an occasional basketball game in it; sturdy slamming doors with excellent, but noisy heavy-duty locks; a 2 a.m. singalong with drums.....competes with "outside" street noise pouring thru glass balcony doors on all sides. High volume day & night. Smoky too.

Guesthouse Argonauta

Obidos, Portugal

I really enjoyed staying at this intimate, quiet, tastefully-decorated hostel so near to the city gate. Concha is an excellent hostess and was always there for all our needs, serving an excellent home-cooked breakfast and providing advice and directions. Both the little town of Obidos and the Hostal Argonauta are wonderful experiences.

Almaa Sintra Hostel

Sintra, Portugal

Everything about Sintra is charming and different and that goes for this hostel too. I would have liked normal-height furniture instead of the low pallet and beanbag selection but that's because I'm an older traveller. Excellent breakfast. Very close to the most beautiful palace.

Sunset Destination Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

Lovely, quiet, welcoming hostel with a pool and garden area on the roof that gives a stunning view of the waterfront.

Home Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

Taghostel is brand new but is a historic hostel, nonetheless, since it used to house sea captains while they anchored in Lagos. It's situated in the best part of the Lagos waterfront, so guests can access many cafes and waterfront activities that take place right beneath The balconies. Taghostel is a quiet, homey lodging with all the amenities....including custom-made bunks, great mattresses and spanking-clean sheets and duvets. Plus, a wonderful family to make you feel at home. It has stairs.

The Garden Backpacker

Seville, Spain

I enjoyed my stay very much. It's quiet, so sleep was very sound. The garden area is large and well-supplied with umbrella tables and many shady spots for eating, working or socializing.

Samay Hostel Sevilla

Seville, Spain

The bunks seem made for children with only 2.5 feet of headroom for the lower ones, plus a very firm mattress....a recipe for persistent backache....my first in a year of RTW travel. The communal rooms: lobby and kitchen, are small and do not encourage conversation among strangers, as people try not to intrude on each other. The rooftop terrace is lovely but too hot in summer until sundown. Wi-Fi is good. Only two hostel computers available. Lots of stair-climbing. Not worth the effort.

Las Musas Hostel

Madrid, Spain

I stayed at Musas Residence for over a week for a replacement credit card to be sent from the States. I grew to know and love the wonderful and caring staff members, especially Pedro, the hostel manager. This is a large hostel within walking distance of downtown and parks and Madrid must-sees. The only caution is for people who can't handle stairs. Rooms are on four floors but the elevator only begins a floor above the lobby. You must always climb 21 steps to access a room.

Bahaus Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

I was happy there and it was adequate for my three day stay, but I don't remember much about it. A helpful and friendly staff and a quiet hostel. The bunk beds had nice light-blocking curtains and I've never seen that before. There are stairs to climb to get to the rooms.

Hostel 109

Adelaide, Australia

This is a cute, cozy little hostel which I would have liked to stay longer in, but I had booked reservations at the YHA in Adelaide and was just needing the one night before I could check in. Actually, I liked the neighborhood there much better than the glass skyscrapers of the main CBD where YHA is. The surroundings of Hostel 109 reminded me of the New Orleans French Quarter, with old-fashioned balconies, and nice shops and cafes. I'm a 75 year-old, very well seasoned world traveler.

Noah's Ark Backpackers

Greymouth, New Zealand

Noah's Ark Hostel goes the extra mile to make a visit really interesting. The animal theme is carried out with each room decorated in honor of a different animal. The zebra room is really classy, but the dog dorm with puppies and Golden Retrievers....to match the resident mascot....is also very cute. The hostel is near the train/bus station as well as the downtown area. Great host/owners, too.

Paradiso Backpackers

Nelson, New Zealand

The Paradiso is divided between a hostel section and a motel section. I moved over to the motel and naturally, found it much moore to my tastes. The hostel portion is much better suited to the young backpacker who wishes to do a bit of partying around the pool. The outdoor area with pool, volleyball court and an old-bus-tv-room caters to the barbeque and beer bunch. I loved the quiet motel separate portion, which also had access to the other ameneties.

Rotorua Planet Backpackers

Rotorua, New Zealand

I completely enjoyed my stay at this excellent, one-story hostel located right in downtown Rotorua, very close to the grocery, restaurants, shops, the spa and many activities. Many guests are foreign students who work in town and who stay for longer period, so there is a unified feeling among them; but they are very inclusive of travelers like myself. Rose, the manager, is so helpful and takes very good care of the whole family of guests. It's a quiet, clean place with good amenities.

Raj and Sima are very hands-on owners and are so very helpful. My request to move from a dorm bunk to a private room was exceeded by giving me a full bedroom in a shared house, rooming with a single mom and her son, who became close friends. The house was secure, being in their backyard behind a locked fence. Lantana Lodge is within walking distance of Parnell, one of the nicest neighborhoods in Auckland and about a 45 minute walk to downtown. Close to public transportation.

I keep extending my stay here (on my eighth night now) and I might just remain here through my month in Sydney. My ensuite room is very comfortable and cozy in this cold wintertime...though the halls, kitchen and eating area are pretty chilly, being under a roof, but open to the outside air. The hostel is about three blocks from major transportation but quite convenient to many beautiful parts of Sydney. The Staff is wonderful and has helped me feel at home. There are many stairs to be navigated

Hostal Rio Puntra

Chiloe, Chile

Being a guest at the Hostal Rio Puntra is more like becoming a member of the family, like a homestay, on the beautiful island of Chiloe. I happened to arrive the day before several festivals in different towns and was immediately included in the owner`s family group, spending all day traveling th island and attending the festivals. They also put themselves out to assure my visit to the penguin colony, translate for me, and get me to the bus on time. Everything is clean and comfortable.

Klein Hostel

Foz do Iguacu, Brazil

I stayed at Klein Hostal 7 days in the eight-bed mixed dorm. I´m a senior citizen, on my second, year-long, around-the-world trip, about which I write travel books. I do know a thing or two about the world´s hostels. This one is completely EXCELLENT! It used to be a family home with swimming pool, barbeque patio, lots of airy space. It´s still family-run, but is a true home to a changing array of backpackers. Squeaky clean! Quiet at night, friendly staff. Free airport & bus pickup.