Location: Australia, Gender: Female, Age: 22

Castillo Surfista Hostel

Santiago, Chile

Lovely, friendly little hostel in a really nice area of Santiago, quiet but close to everything. It really feels like a house not a hostel and I felt comfortable here straight away. It's clean and cosy and has everything you need. The only issue was that as a big breakfast eater, two pieces of toast isn't really enough for me and the whole breakfast setup didn't make it feel like you could help yourself to more. Other than that tiny quibble, I absolutely recommend this hostel!

Thanks for the compliments!! For breakfast we offer fruit, yogurt, coffee, hot chocolate along with either toasted waffles and jam or toasted bread and cheese. If you ask and the hostel is not absolutely full, we will give you extra bread or waffles no problem. Like most hostels, if we offered unlimited everything for breakfast we´d honestly have to raise prices or we´d go out of business :( Safe travels!!!

This place is great - clean, safe, good atmosphere, good location. And super helpful staff - I checked in very early before check-in and they stored my bags, gave me tips on what to see in Lima, and let me eat breakfast on arrival. Breakfast is good, the rest of the menu is cheap and yummy. The only drawback was some issues with a long term guest (who seemed to also be working for the hostel) leaving his wet towel and his clothes and underwear all over my bed and area as well as his own.

Dear Guest, Thanks for your feedback , we will consider your comment to improve our service. We are sorry about this situation involving the members of our staff. We will be more tuned of those who are volunteers and everyone in general. We take your feedback on the best way and execute actions to prevent future similar cases. Best Regards Head of Reception and Reservations

Vip House, The Garden

Cusco, Peru

This place is fine but it is the wrong place to get an early night. The ten-bed dorm opens right off the garden, and with the radio on full blast until late at night and apparently no noise curfew, a good night's sleep was not to be had. Otherwise, staff were helpful, it has everything you need, the area is out of the way and maybe a bit sketchy compared to other bits of Cusco but didn't feel unsafe. For a cheap stay, it was pretty much everything you'd hope.

Thank you very much for your review. We have a radio in the garden wicht is on until 10 pm, the bar and fire pit closes at 11pm after that the hostel is super quiet, it is nice to know that you liked your stay here, like you said for the price you paid, you have almost everything you need.

Jetpak Alternative

Berlin, Germany

This is the second time I've stayed at Jetpak Alternative, and two and a half years later, it's still just as great as I remember. Clean, comfortable, good location, great staff, good vibe - there is absolutely nothing here I can find fault with.

Flying Pig Beach Hostel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great hostel with a great vibe. Getting out of Amsterdam to stay somewhere much more chilled was the best idea. Here you'll get party nights and lazy days, good company, cheap drinks, yummy breakfast and (mostly) friendly, helpful staff. Only drawbacks were the slightly cramped rooms (it's not a big hostel) and the bathroom floors that always seemed to be an inch deep in water. Other than that, I would thoroughly recommend heading out to Noordwijk and passing a few nights at the flying pig.

The Nunnery

Melbourne, Australia

Lovely hostel, fantastic location, only issue was the bathroom-to-person ratio, bit short on toilets and showers.

• 28th Dec 2013

Hostel Blues

Bratislava, Slovakia

One of the better hostels I have ever stayed in, and definitely the cheapest! Lovely staff, numerous spacious common areas, clean comfortable rooms and Slovak cooking night was definitely a winner. Breakfast not included is always a bummer, but the excellent kitchen made up for it. Great hostel in a great city.

Best Holidays Venice

Venice, Italy

Strange, unwelcoming place where going to the kitchen to get a glass of water after the kitchen was 'shut' was treated as an act of subversion.

The Loft Hostel Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

My little home in Budapest. You know you've found something a bit special when, on the night you arrive, all the guests and staff go out for Hungarian food together, then head to a bar to watch the hostel owner play in a blues band. A tiny, cosy, perfect haven in an awesome city - thanks Gina, Duff and Ferci for the hospitality, the food, the expansion of my obscene Hungarian vocabulary and a generally excellent stay. Mellbimbo, my friends, mellbimbo. - Maddie

Ciak Hostel

Rome, Italy

Basic but satisfactory. Not much of a common area. Seemingly very thin walls, from the dorm you can hear everything including the plumbing. But pretty good breakfast, no major complaints, did the trick just fine.

Impeccably clean and neat, but the staff were apathetic and at times unfriendly, there were no social events or activities within the hostel, and there was very little to do, not even a deck of cards to be had. Plus, staying two floors down from the main part of the hostel meant I felt pretty isolated from everything, and there's no wifi in the rooms down there. Stay here if you want somewhere quiet and clean (and expensive!) but go elsewhere if you want to have fun.

Jetpak Alternative

Berlin, Germany

Absolutely the best hostel I could have imagined - excellent location, right in the best part of Berlin, cosy, comfortable, clean and, most of all, friendly. It's small, so it's easy to meet people (definitely better for solo travellers rather than big groups) and the excellent staff all know you and will go out of their way to tell you all the best places to go, how to get there and make sure you have everything you need, including excellent espresso coffee!