Gold Coast Backpackers

Surfers Paradise, Australia

Very nice hostel. Pretty quiet, but I think that had more to do with the time of year (it was winter) than anything else. Extremely close to the beach and the owners were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay there again if I was in Surfers Paradise. Wi Fi was fast, reliable and free :)

Easily one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in, and I have been to plenty across the world. The atmosphere is wonderfully relaxed, the people are friendly, the owner Paul is helpful, the building is interesting, the internet is free, the courtyard is lovely - I could go on and on. Simply the best hostel in Melbourne. John S

Jiyujin

Kyoto, Japan

I really liked this place; as other reviews mention probably the best aspect is the staff who are both exceptionally friendly and pleasant. They gave me many maps and lots of ideas for what to do in the city. It is very clean and there is a nice kitchen area. I met some great people in the kitchen / common room as well - it is not a huge hostel so don't expect a massive crowd or a strong party atmosphere, but I would still recommend it for the solo traveller looking to explore Kyoto.

I have to say I didn't quite 'get' this hostel - it was clean and pleasant and all, but I just found it a bit lacking in atmosphere. So a nice place to stay if you are using it as a base to explore the city, but perhaps not the best choice if you are a solo traveller also looking to make some friends while in Tokyo. Cannot fault the staff or the facilities at all.

Brilliant, brilliant hostel. Very social and a great way to meet people. By far and away my favourite hostel in Japan, and indeed one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in.

Caledonian Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

Hedonist Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

Excellent, extremely friendly and fun staff

• 29th Jul 2012
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Carpe Noctem Vitae

Budapest, Hungary

Without a doubt, the most brilliant hostel I have ever been to. The staff were unbelievably friendly, the nights were legendary, the advice given was fantastic (for example the recommendation to go caving, or tips about the best Hungarian baths to visit) and the guests were the best group of people you could ever hope to meet. I travelled to the hostel on my own, not knowing what to expect, and was made to feel completely welcome. I'm 100% certain that I'll be back. Miss you all, John x