Carpediem Hostel

Jeonju, South Korea

Ashley, the owner, is super cool. She took me around the Hanok village, and showed me some of the cool stuff tucked away. Super helpful. She also recommended which places offered the best bibimbap. This is important and should not be overlooked. Dorms are clean and spacious. Basic breakfast included and even featured melon. +1

BnB Busan Guesthouse Hostel

Busan, South Korea

This place was fantastic, and probably the nicest hostel I stayed in in Korea. Yoon, the owner, is super cool, and I enjoyed talking to him during my stay. He's well versed in Busan. The rooms are super clean. Slightly pricier than other hostels, but worth it. Breakfast changes from day to day. Yoon made me vegetable pancakes one day. They were tight. Located in Seomyeon, which is not near the beach, but is convenient for seeing the rest of Busan.

Gyeongju Guesthouse

Gyeong-ju, South Korea

Nice hostel located near the train station. The owner helped me figure out the Gyeongju buses to and from the sites. He also recommended an excellent beef soup restaurant just the street. Breakfast is self serve. Includes eggs, toast, coffee, tea. Would stay at again.

Seoulwise Guesthouse

Seoul, South Korea

Young, the hostel owner, was very helpful and knowledgable about Seoul. He let me use his T money card for the week, and helped me book bus tickets. The location is great as the hostel is just a few blocks away from the Hongik University station. When I returned to Seoul later in my trip, I chose to stay there again. Breakfast consists of cereal, toast, tea, and coffee (from freshly ground beans). Alas, no eggs. Otherwise, a great place to stay.

Red Inn Cabana

Penang, Malaysia

Nice interior. Pretty clean. Good breakfast, but get there early. Occasional hole in the wall leads to gnats and mosquitos biting you while in the bathroom or in your room, but beyond that, a good place to stay. Prices were slightly higher during chinese new year.

• 25th Jan 2012

Tree In Lodge

Singapore, Singapore

Very clean. Eco friendly. Breakfast includes toast, tea, and coffee. Staff was very helpful. Bugis is a pretty convenient location.

• 19th Jan 2012