Location: Australia, Gender: Male, Age: 31

Link Corner Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

It's a convenient location for getting to Suvarnabhumi airport, definitely. Other than that, though, I'm not sure. It's nice enough, but there is a huge amount of traffic noise -- more than in any other place I've stayed over the last couple of years travelling -- and there was nothing that really sold this to me as a particularly great hostel. Next time I want convenience for the airport, I'll probably stay in a hotel nearer the airport itself instead: cheaper price, better rooms, quieter.

• 3rd Dec 2013

Royal Guest House

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is a good guest house. We had a comfortable room, the wifi was reliable and fast, and the location fairly central and convenient for a variety of things to do around Phnom Penh. I'd stay here again. No complaints.

• 28th Nov 2013

Siem Reap Rooms

Siem Reap, Cambodia

This is the second time I've stayed here, and I'm just as happy to recommend it as I was the first time around. The room and bed were comfortable, and the staff were incredibly friendly, as last time. Breakfasts were cheap and delicious. I didn't bother looking at any other options in Siem Reap this time because I knew Siem Reap Rooms were plenty good enough for what I needed - especially for the price. If I'm ever back in Siem Reap, it will be exactly the same story, I'm sure. Thanks!

• 23rd Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hi, We are glad you enjoyed your second stay with us ; -), we look forward to seeing you the next time. Jia

Green Tulip House

Chiang Mai, Thailand

One of the best hostels I've stayed in, and certainly the best of the four or five I've tried now in Chiang Mai. Good, big, comfortable rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff. (By the way, believe them when they recommend the SIam Rice cooking class -- it was great.) We rented a scooter organised by the hostel for one day too, and it was a good one and reasonably priced. We would definitely stay here next time we're in Chiang Mai, no question.

• 17th Nov 2013

Som Guesthouse

Phuket, Thailand

Som's is a comfortable place to stay, far enough away from the action to have little noise at night, but close enough to be an easy walk away. We really just wanted a comfortable bed for the night and a chance to go see the highlights (lowlights?) of Patong before jumping on a plane the next morning, and this was a perfectly adequate place for it. Wifi was a little iffy, though -- sometimes our devices just couldn't connect.

• 16th Nov 2013

Chill Out House

Koh Lanta, Thailand

The location near the beach is great: we spent three days here doing pretty much nothing but lying on the beach. The price is fantastic, and as long as you don't expect much in the way of creature comforts, it's worth it. If you're looking for a comfortable bed, or a quiet room away from the noise of other backpackers, etc., then this is not the hostel for you. If you want a really cheap place to stay and meet people and just relax, and you don't mind the bugs and frogs, this is your spot.

• 13th Nov 2013

The Urban Age

Bangkok, Thailand

A pretty decent hostel I'd be happy to stay at again. The location is great for the Silom area of town (including Patpong as well as the business area). The room was reasonable, if dated, and the staff were friendly and gave helpful advice. Wifi was generally pretty reasonable, although on some occasions our devices couldn't get a connection.

• 7th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hello, Thank you for your advice ,we will check the Wifi for the better service. ^-^

Suk11 Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

A slightly quirky hostel, excellently located for a stay in the Sukhumvit area. In contrast to many of the other reviews, I thought the staff were fine. And honestly, is the size of the smile on the receptionist's face really the most important aspect of your stay in a city you travel to?! The rooms are comfortable, the shared bathrooms could be better (more of them, better appointed) but are reasonable. And the location is excellent.

• 14th Oct 2013

Mile Map Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

This is the second time I've stayed here, and it's still a great hostel. If you want to stay in the Silom Road area, stay here. The 10-bed dorm room is big and comfortable, and the only real downside is the noise from the Hindu Temple next door when they have a festival of some sort going on. Easily ignorable, though, and not a problem.

• 8th Oct 2013

Vietnam Inn Saigon

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

This was a surprisingly good hostel. Decent, comfortable beds, reliable wifi, a reasonable bar and restaurant, and very conveniently located. (The only -- minor -- annoyance is that they seem sometimes to wait until guests check in before making up their beds. Which means when people checkin in the middle of the night, you get woken up by the bed being made above you!) But overall, a great hostel. I'd definitely stay here again next time I'm in Saigon.

• 28th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

It's obviously expensive, but New York doesn't give you a tonne of budget options. It was comfortable enough, although the bunks are slightly annoyingly squeaky and move around a bit. The wifi was generally useable most of the time, but I was surprised how slow and intermittent it was for such a huge, otherwise professional hostel. If I were going back to New York, I'd definitely stay here again.

• 3rd Sep 2013

Hostel Buffalo Niagara

Buffalo, USA

A decent, comfortable hostel. Location depends on what you want to do: there's not a lot going on in downtown Buffalo, but we were just there to visit Niagara, so that wasn't an inconvenience other than trying to find a cafe in the morning for some coffee!

• 22nd Aug 2013

The Clarence Park

Toronto, Canada

Beds were comfortable and ensuite in the room was excellent. Internet access was unfortunately always pretty crappy unless you were down by reception -- and even down there it was unusably slow a lot of the time. Lockers are not in the room, but down by reception, which, depending which room you're in, is in a different building. The cafe downstairs is good, and we found out on our third and final visit that apparently they give a discount for those staying at the hostel.

• 19th Aug 2013

Bed & Breakfast Garden

Cancun, Mexico

This is exactly the hostel we wanted. We didn't want a party hostel for our time in Cancún. We wanted somewhere a bit quieter, but comfortable and relaxed and with good internet access. The staff were very helpful and lovely, and even if we didn't always agree with their recommendations, they were still very helpful. The dorm was comfortable. And the most indicative aspect: when we came back to Cancún after a couple of weeks in Cuba, we stayed here again without even considering elsewhere.

• 29th Jul 2013

Pause

Caye Caulker, Belize

We had a great five days staying here -- two of us in the three-bed dorm. You need to be aware that the facilities are fairly basic, that the place is quiet (not a party/meet-people location), and that there are lots of cats and dogs around. But if that's all fine for you, then you'll love it here. The backyard is great for sitting around in a sunbed on a lazy day. The jetty is nice for sunset. The area is quite private and not too noisy. It was all very relaxing. Thanks, Madi!

• 22nd Jul 2013

Villa Esthela

Antigua, Guatemala

We had a great stay here. The place is very laid-back and an easy spot to just hang around (especially up on the rootfop, in hammocks) and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. My main complaint is the anti-bedbug plastic mattress covers in the dorm -- some are unfortunately noisy. The lockers in the dorm are not ideal, either -- only four big ones and a heap of smaller, crappier ones. The wifi is generally reasonable but doesn't reach the rooftop terrace reliably.

• 13th Jul 2013

Hotel PetenChel

Flores, Guatemala

We only passed through Flores for one night, to see Tikal before jumping on the night bus for Antigua. This was a great place to stay for that night, though. The room was comfortable with decent beds, and the member of staff we dealt with was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Would happily stay here again.

• 11th Jul 2013

Yaxkin Hostel

Palenque, Mexico

I'd probably stay again because there don't seem to be other cheap options in Palenque, but this was only "OK". The wifi didn't work most of the time and the staff didn't seem interested in doing anything about it. Trying to leave at 6am (when most day trips there leave - so nothing unusual) it took us a good 10 minutes to wake a member of staff and explain that all the exits were locked and could he please unlock one. They let us check in at 7am, though, and the attached cafe is very good.

• 9th Jul 2013

La Casa del Tio Rafa

Merida, Mexico

A nice place to stay. The place is small, and Rafa is friendly and helpful and cooks you eggs for breakfast, which is a definite plus. Reasonably close to the bus station, and cheap. I'm not a huge fan of the extra 50 peso fee if you want to store your bags for the day after you check out -- but for that fee, you get full use of the showers, kitchen, etc for that day too, so it wasn't a terrible deal either.

• 7th Jul 2013

Villa Arqueologica Chichen Itza

Chichen Itza, Mexico

A great place from which to visit Chichén Itzá. The room was comfortable, the air conditioning very effective, the wifi was slow but worked, and the food package (from memory 280 pesos gets you both breakfast and dinner) was reasonable for some pretty good food. If you're bussing to the site, you'll need to grab a taxi from the front entrance of the site to the hotel when you first arrive, but when you visit Chichén Itzá, you can just walk from the hotel to the back entrance to the site.

• 6th Jul 2013

HotelHotel Hostel

Seattle, USA

A great hostel, with very friendly and helpful staff -- including one of the owners, who generously gave us a lift to the pier to meet our cruise ship when we were leaving. Thanks again for that! The hostel's only downside was a shortage of bathrooms -- there was often a bit of a wait in the morning. Otherwise, though, a really really great hostel, and I'd happily stay there again.

• 23rd May 2013

Hostel Suites Florida

Buenos Aires, Argentina

This was a good hostel in an excellent location. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, with questions, advice, organising football tickets for us, etc. The rooms were pretty good and the beds reasonably comfortable. No complaints. They were also extremely good about the fact that we accidentally got our dates wrong and turned up a day later than we'd booked. (Thanks, guys!)

• 24th Apr 2013

Discovery Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. The rooms are great: mattresses and pillows were extremely comfortable. I'm not the biggest fan of three-bed bunks, but these ones had a reasonable amount of space, and there are reading lights on each one and enough fan/airconditioning to keep the room comfortable. Good lockers, too. The common areas are good and the staff incredibly friendly and helpful. Wifi is fast and reliable. I'd happily came back here next time I'm in Rio.

• 11th Apr 2013

Barra Beach Club Oceanfront Hostel

Florianopolis, Brazil

An absolutely great hostel. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The (optional, paid) dinner each night was always delicious and very reasonably priced. The views from the hostel are great -- especially from the bar/deck area. Location might not suit those looking to head into Florianopolis proper regularly, but was great for us, given we just wanted a beach break somewhere relaxing.

• 6th Apr 2013

The Ritz by Hostel Inn

Buenos Aires, Argentina

We were only there for one night, but this seemed like a great hostel. The rooms are reasonable and the beds are comfortable enough. The common area is big and pleasant, and the staff are very helpful. Chances are pretty good we'll be back here shortly.

• 20th Mar 2013
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Hello Sam, thank you very mucho for your words! We are waiting for you! You are the welcome! See you soon!

Galapagos Best Home Stay

Galapagos Islands, Ecuador

The dorms are comfortable, good value, and have cooking facilities. Like other guests, we appreciated Kevin's tour of Puerto Ayora and general advice, as well as the free water in the rooms. Would stay here again without bothering to look for anywhere else.

• 10th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

The staff were helpful and friendly. The hostel was comfortable enough, and plenty secure, with heavy security doors that you had to ring to be let in through -- although there weren't lockers in all the rooms. We'd be perfectly happy to stay there again. We were grateful that they stored our bags (free) for four nights while we were out on a jungle trip. The bathrooms could do with a little more regular attention, but otherwise no real complaints.

• 26th Jan 2013

Link Hostels

Lima, Peru

Great hostel. We ended up staying for two weeks while we sorted out all the stuff we needed to while in Lima. Great location, comfortable hostel.

• 13th Jan 2013

INBOX Hostel by FWD

Chiang Mai, Thailand

A good hostel, with a big dorm room with not too many beds. Each bed is in its own little cubicle-like thing, so you get a reasonable amount of privacy, which is cool.

• 13th Nov 2012
  • Globetrotter

hank you for a great review. Look forward to our updates.

Siem Reap Rooms

Siem Reap, Cambodia

A fantastic guesthouse. Very comfortable, excellent food, and very helpful staff. I wouldn't bother considering anywhere else to stay in Siem Reap if I'm ever there again, and I've already recommended this guesthouse to others who are travelling there soon.

• 31st Oct 2012

• 27th Jul 2012

X Hostel Alicante

Alicante, Spain

• 26th Jan 2012

Makuto Backpackers Hostel

Granada, Spain

Fantastic hostel. The treehouse is brilliant. I had to keep delaying leaving because I was having such a good time.

• 19th Jan 2012

Babia Backpackers

Ronda, Spain

Great hostel with friendly staff. Fantastic view of the Puente Nuevo out the window, and awesome balconies. Would be even more fantastic in summer. Highly recommended!

• 16th Jan 2012