Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

The staff was helpful and friendly and the rooms were clean. In all my experience with hostels, it's the only place where guests need to pay for wifi to use it beyond 45mins. I find it odd that the reception is locked from guests before 7:30am, which would make things difficult for guests if they need to check-out early to catch a morning flight. Anyway, I managed to check-out early after making my way to the front entrance and convincing the staff that I really had to go.

• 16th Oct 2013

Astor Museum Inn

The hostel is in a great location within walking distance from the main sights in London. I was thankfully assigned to the much quieter annex, so I'm spared from most of the nightmares in the main building mentioned by some reviewers circa 2012. Things have probably improved since then. My stay was generally ok, except that the light in my room was not fixed even after my dorm-mates had complained about the problem. Those in my room spent at least two nights in darkness.

• 14th Oct 2013
  • Singapore

Hi Guanhan, Thanks for your message. We are always improving the hostel facilities and your comments helps a lot. We are glad you had a nice stay and enjoyed your time in London. We hope you choose us for your next visit in London. Safe travels, The Astor Museum Team.

MEININGER Brussels City Center

Brussels, Belgium

• 13th Oct 2013

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

Great all-round hostel. It's a shame that the hostel doesn't have a kitchen because of city-wide fire-safety regulations.

• 11th Oct 2013

MEININGER Salzburg City Center

Salzburg, Austria

• 9th Oct 2013

Hostel Ruthensteiner

Vienna, Austria

It was a large hostel but quite clean and well-maintained. The location is perfect - near the train station with cheap food and a shopping mall nearby. Minor point: the double-deck beds in my dorm didn't have a ladder so we had to get on top using the stools in the room.

• 7th Oct 2013

One World Hostel

Krakow, Poland

Great location near the train station. Friendly and helpful staff. The free breakfast was really value for money. The dorm room was a bit cramped though.

• 29th Sep 2013

Ahoy! Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

The dining area in the kitchen was a bit too small and guests had to eat in the common area if they decide to cook. The hostel could do with a better and larger refrigerator. The one in use when I was there is stuffed to the brim and seems more useful for storing drinks in the bar. It just doesn't seem cold enough.

• 26th Sep 2013

Riverside Lodge Berlin

Berlin, Germany

This small and cozy hostel is great for meeting other solo travelers. The dorm beds are really like small rooms with curtains - a very unique design which creates some personal space for guests. The owner is easy-going and welcoming and it's nice that he gives his personal attention to the running of the hostel.

• 23rd Sep 2013

Grand Hostel Berlin

Berlin, Germany

My main gripe about this hostel is that it lacks a kitchen and refrigerator, and I'm not sure if it's due to a fire safety regulation or just a way to encourage guests to spend at the restaurant. Other than that, the rooms and bathrooms were very clean. The reception was really helpful in pointing out the main sights in the city. This mega hostel feels more like a hotel.

• 21st Sep 2013

Poco Loco Hostel

Poznan, Poland

This hostel's got all the basics, so I was quite comfortable there. It would be even better if the staff was more proactive in providing information on things to do in the city.

• 19th Sep 2013

Home Made House

Vilnius, Lithuania

This has got to be the hostel with the best vibes in my entire trip through Europe. The owner takes heart in making sure everyone feels comfortable and welcomed in this small, lovely and homely hostel. There was great diversity in the guests when I was there, which made my stay that much more enriching and interesting. Thanks Lina!

• 12th Sep 2013
  • Singapore

This small hostel is probably one of the best I've been to in Europe. It's in a quiet neighborhood in the old town and felt really cozy. Everything a long term backpacker needs is provided for - well-equipped kitchen, free laundry, spotlessly clean shower rooms,... Great place to take a breather after a tiring journey.

• 11th Sep 2013
  • Singapore

The rooms and bathrooms were very clean and the staff was really helpful and friendly. Amenities-wise this is probably one of the best amongst the hostels I've been to in Europe. The front-door, however, leads directly to the living room common area, so it can be a bit strange when you enter the hostel and walk into an ongoing conversation you're not part of. Same when you need to go to the bathroom.

• 9th Sep 2013

Looming Hostel

Tartu, Estonia

This small hostel was very tastefully decorated, almost like a museum of retro collectibles! The kitchen was small and the nearest dining area was out in the open-air terrace, which can get quite cold sometimes. Due to the design of the beds (no double-deck beds here!) it was difficult to hang clothes or towels in the room.

• 7th Sep 2013

GIDIC Backpackers

Tallinn, Estonia

I was there when the tourist season was just dying down, so it was nice that not many guests were there. The folks at the reception were easy-going and helpful to provide ideas for exploring the city. The kitchen was well-equiped and had everything I need.

• 3rd Sep 2013

CheapSleep Helsinki

Helsinki, Finland

This is one mega hostel with a kitchen always crowded during meal times. In the end I decided to get microwavable food for my dinner instead.The common area is huge but there's not much of a social atmosphere there. I was on an upper bed and the frame creaked whenever I made the smallest movement. The rooms and bathrooms were cleaned regularly and it was a decent hostel with the basics provided for.

• 31st Aug 2013

Z-Hostel

Moscow, Russia

The hostel was generally well-maintained and clean. The housekeeping lady was kind enough to make my bed and give me new sheets even though I had a few more nights to go in Moscow. I found it hard to meet English-speakers here though. The amount of help received at the reception depended on who was there. One receptionist girl very gladly helped me search for the locations of ATMs and train station. Another one either kept disappearing or was chatting on her phone.

• 23rd Aug 2013

Almaty Backpackers

Almaty, Kazakhstan

It can take a while to realize you've found the place when you get there. There is no 24-hour reception and the adjacent building looks like it's still under construction. The manager is around only at certain times and the housekeeping lady does not speak English. However, the place is generally well-kept and clean, almost like a hotel. The manager was easy-going, friendly and helpful. He gladly agreed to change my room when it was invaded by loutish, beer-drinking youngsters on a car-rally

• 12th Aug 2013

Han Tang Inn Hostel

Xi'an, China

The price for the dorms was a bit more expensive than its sister hostel down the road. However, everything was clean, tidy and orderly. I only stayed here one night because the other hostel didn't have beds for my final night in the city. When he was around, the boss was very helpful and enthusiastic in offering travel advices and directions.

• 18th Jul 2013

Han Tang House

Xi'an, China

One of the best all-round hostel I stayed in when I was in China. There was key-card access to the rooms. The beds were comfortable and the toilets/shower rooms were like that of a hotel. The common area on the first two floors was large enough to accommodate everyone and great for meeting fellow travelers. I think there's live music every night too.

• 16th Jul 2013

The Loft Design Hostel

Chengdu, China

My room was generally clean. The common area was a good for chilling out or just to meet other travelers. My only small complaint was that the area on the rooftop for hanging laundry was near an exhaust air outlet probably for the kitchen.

• 8th Jul 2013

Mama Naxi`s Guesthouse

Lijiang, China

Like many other places in the old city, this hostel was very difficult to find given the not-very-systematic layout of the roads. I didn't find the directions very helpful. The hostel was charming though. The reception was friendly and enthusiastic about offering travel advices and the facilities were clean.

• 30th Jun 2013

The Lily Pad

Dali, China

An all-round decent hostel. It's in a good location for exploring the old city and well-priced too.

• 28th Jun 2013
  • Singapore

It's one of the better hostels in China. The beds and the rooms were clean and there were enough shower rooms on the different floors. There is a bar/restaurant and an outdoor area downstairs for chilling out or meeting people. The hostel was very difficult to find though. I arrived from one of the long distance bus stations and couldn't find the bus I needed to get the hostel. In the end I had to walk quite far just to get to the hostel.

• 24th Jun 2013
  • Singapore

The bathroom in my 6-bed dorm looked filthy. There was forever a pool of water on the floor. The number of power sockets in my room was quite limited. The little garden on the ground floor doesn't offer much space for guests to mingle.

• 21st Jun 2013

Sihome Backpackers Hostel

Vientiane, Laos

The mosquitos in the room bothered me, but then they are everywhere in Laos.

• 18th Jun 2013

Huttonlodge

Penang, Malaysia

• 14th Jun 2013
  • Singapore

The hostel might be a little hard to find if not for the detailed directions provided on the booking site. The facilities were basic and adequate. The lady boss was really friendly!

• 25th Mar 2013
  • Singapore

Thank you for your comment! We recently installed a big Triple Tiger sign on the street, hopefully it will help our guests to find us.

Check Inn HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

This being Hong Kong, the hostel is definitely pricier than in other major Asian cities. The shower rooms were clean and adequate, though a bit small. Rooms were clean and well furnished. I felt safe in the hostel's neighbourhood.

• 23rd Mar 2013

Sunshine Home

Guangzhou, China

A bit hard to find since it's inside a residential block, but it's clean, spacious, quiet, homely and quite unlike the typical hostel.

• 22nd Mar 2013

Yangshuo 11 Hostel

Yangshuo, China

I liked the laid-back and picturesque country-side of Yangshuo enough to extend my stay to 5 nights. For its lack of a pub, the hostel offers peace and quiet for the tired traveler. Club music could be heard from nearby bars at night, but all noises stop not long after midnight. The bathroom was clean and the laundry area was spacious.

• 16th Mar 2013

Green Forest Hostel

Guilin, China

I found the bathroom in the 6-person dorm quite tiny (just to give an idea...it has about enough room for three toilet bowls), with scarcely enough room to shower. Fortunately I was the only person in the room at that time.

• 14th Mar 2013
  • Singapore

Clean, quiet, well-furnished and reasonably priced with all the necessities. The shower rooms were under repair when I stayed there, so there was only one available when I was there. Hope they have opened up more showers by now.

• 12th Mar 2013
  • Singapore

Hi there, We really appreciate your booking here and we feel so sorry for the inconvenience during your stay here,we have opened more showers now and everything goes fine.hope to see you again. Best wishes ANNIE

Bodega Hostel Hanoi

Hanoi, Vietnam

I found the dorm quite small with not a lot of room to leave our luggage. The bathroom deserves a bit of refurnishing. I would love to have power sockets nearer the beds, especially on the upper deck, and perhaps personal reading lamps. Otherwise, the hostel has all the basic necessities for the backpacker.

• 9th Mar 2013

Valentine Hotel

Hue, Vietnam

Being used to backpacker style dorms, I was pleasantly delighted at the single room I got at Valentine. For about 12 USD, I got a rather large room with my own bathroom and everything I need - fridge with bottled water, TV, queen-sized bed, dresser, wardrobe, ... it was quite a luxury for me. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially the guy who received me on the first day (didn't get his name). They were nice to take the trouble of asking our choice of breakfast everyday.

• 5th Mar 2013

@Hua Lamphong

Bangkok, Thailand

I appreciated that the janitors cleaned out the rooms every day. Even though I was staying for a couple of nights and didn't need to have my sheets changed, they offered to get new ones for me. Being less than a minute away from the nearest subway exit, the hostel was extremely easy to find.

• 28th Feb 2013