Home Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

Fantastic hostel. Very social, Mama's 10 euro dinners were wonderful - 3 courses plus nice wine and a little shot of port or something else. Sip it, don't down it in one go! Great for meeting people. The staff were wonderful, as were the walking tour guides from Wild Walkers - Sofia and Hugo ( I may have spelt that incorrectly). The only thing I wasn't super into was the pub crawl, but I think I might be a bit over them in general. Hang around Barrio Alto instead - the first pub was there.

• 11th Apr 2014

The New York Loft Hostel

New York, USA

I had a fairly good time at this hostel. It's a bit away from Manhattan (30ish mins by metro), but if you're into Brooklyn (I am) it's a great location with some really cool places nearby. Overall it was ok. I found the front desk staff a bit cold and not hugely helpful. The breakfast is 6-9am, when it would be better to be more like 7-10am. The atmosphere was a bit dead, maybe due to a lack of fun activities on (movies + fondue = dull). My bed was very squeeky and uncomfortable. Fine overall.

• 2nd May 2013

HI - Washington DC Hostel

Washington DC, USA

Great hostel, only problem I had when I was there was that there were a bunch of school groups staying, one night there was a group of teenagers running around screaming at each other for a couple of hours, until after midnight, who I had to yell at to be quiet. So it would be good to have staff doing some rounds of the corridors late at night to enforce the no noise after 11pm policy. Apart from that, I had a good stay! Breakfast was entertaining due to a certain member of staff!

• 29th Apr 2013

Martin, Thanks so much for your review! It seems like you enjoyed your stay! We are sorry that you had such trouble with the students. Our staff does make rounds throughout the night, they may have not been on that floor. Our mission as apart of HI hostels is to encourage hostelling to youth, so we do have school groups here from time to time. We try our best to keep them on one floor. We try and make sure they that everyone has an enjoyable experience. We hope you'll come back again!

Green Tortoise Backpackers

San Francisco, USA

Best hostel I've stayed in. Really comfortable rooms, sturdy comfortable beds, great tours, really nice free vego dinners on Mon, Wed and Fridays, good events organised. I encourage everyone to go on a Green Tortoise bus tour - the back half of the bus is a giant mattress - really fun and social. The area around the hostel looks to be the red light district (loads of strip joints) but I never had any problems there. Lots of stairs, which may not suit some folks.

• 25th Apr 2013

Thanks for staying at one of the most unique hostels and Adventure travel companies. We hope more people will get to experience us and Ride the Legend, our hostel on wheels converted Sleeper coaches. Yes, we have stairs in the hostel, but are happy to help people with their bags. If bags could fly that would be better! :) best, GT hostel staff

Banana Bungalow Hollywood

Los Angeles, USA

Pretty good hostel, lots of activities etc, the room had a small kitchen in it, breakfast was good. My only complaint is that the bunk bed I had was super shaky and whenever the person in the bed below moved the whole thing swung like crazy. They should consider securing the beds or replacing them with sturdier framed beds. The location was good (LA is a big sprawl though obviously), but there are a lot of strange people in the area!

• 23rd Apr 2013

Hostel Cathedral

Mexico City, Mexico

I stayed in mid April. Well located, fairly social hostel. Overall I had a great time there. The rooftop bar was a great place to meet people and they had some activities over the week. Minor complaints: Breakfast was fairly average, but you could get by on it. The laundry wasn't working while I stayed, it may be working now. The bunk beds were a little loose and so they shook a bit if the person below or above you was turning in their sleep. Pretty minor complaints overall.

• 7th Apr 2013