Hostal Mar del Plata

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Pretty quiet and mellow in this hostel. The owner is very outgoing and more than willing to help, plus she makes the stellar breakfast pastries herself! Better hope she doesn't quit her day job and go into the baking business... The atmosphere was lacking, but the same can be said for every other place to stay in El Arenal. I didn't really like that the common room was closed and locked when nobody was at the desk, but I'd rather go to the beach anyway than play board games inside...

Sol de Mallorca

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Although I wasn't blown away by this place I think a bunch of the negative reviews were a bit overly critical. Honestly, you're getting what you pay for, and you aren't paying for much. The place wasn't super clean but it wasn't filthy. The directions they give on Hostel World could be better. Try this: When you take the bus from the airport and get off at the beach, walk back the way the bus came (north up the beach) and then you'll find Calle Almicar. Walk two blocks and it's on the left.

It's the only game in town so it doesn't really matter, does it? Whatever the case, the place is fine. The staff are a bit rude but for all I know that's just a Moroccan trait. That said they did answer questions we had about transportation and the city. The place is a little hard to find but keep an eye on the street signs and you'll be okay. If people try to lead you there just tell them you just got in and don't have any money and they'll go away. Decent beds and a kitchen make it okay!

Traveler's Inn Seville

Seville, Spain

Rad old house in a pleasant neighborhood near to all sorts of things you want to do while you're here. I was a little bummed that there wasn't a secured bag storage facility but it's great that they still let people keep their things there during the day. One of the staff people was a bit aloof but still answered our questions and helped us out. The place was noisy but it's a hostel so you really can't expect much else, wear earplugs and you'll be fine. Ultimately I was happy we stayed here!

Itinere Hostel

Granada, Spain

Good location, friendly and helpful staff... If we hadn't been staying with friends for the rest of our time in Granada we would have loved to extend our stay at Itinere. It's the only hostel in Granada we've ever been to but we'd still encourage anybody to stay here over any other place, it's just that pleasant. The only negative thing was that the kitchen closes at night. I've never understood why some places do that, but otherwise Itinere is fantastic!

Mount Eccles Court

Dublin, Ireland

We stayed in the deluxe double bed private room and it was literally an apartment in the building next door! It was MASSIVE!! Staff were helpful and provided us with vouchers for a free breakfast - nom nom nom... The place was clean, the bed was comfy and the location is perfect. Three cheers for Mount Eccles Court!

Derry City Independent Hostel

Derry, Northern Ireland

Wow, this place was great! Steve welcomed me with open arms and helpful hints at DCI, a lovely place with LOADS of character. You can tell right away that he really cares about the place and his love of travel shines through every room in the house. I really appreciate what he's doing with the pay-what-you-think-it's-worth deal, it encourages us to think about what we value in where we lay our heads. Clean and comfy beds and lovely staff, I wish I had been able to give more. I will be back!

Arnies Backpackers

Belfast, Northern Ireland

When I arrived at Arnie's the lovely staff invited me in out of the rain, sat me down in front of the fire, and made me a hot cup of coffee - the perfect welcome! The place is quite cozy and I was made to feel right at home. If you're looking for a relaxed place with loads of atmosphere I can't recommend Arnie's enough. If you're looking for a party hostel, for god's sake stay away! You won't find what you're looking for and you'll ruin it for everybody else. Thanks to everyone at Arnie's!