All of my travel companions agreed that this was one of the best hostels we've ever stayed at anywhere, and we've done quite alot of world traveling. While everything was exemplary, my favorite features were the location (just a few blocks from the opera house and center of town), the social atmosphere (lounge, bar, and breakfast/TV room) and the staff that was tremendously helpful even before we showed up

San Geremia Rooms

Venice, Italy

Best thing was the location, just a few minutes walk from the ferrovia, which is great if you're arriving by train. It's also very close to the vaporetto station, giving you easy access to all the areas in Venice proper and outlying islands. But if you want the social, vibrant hostel experience, this would not be it -- the property consists entirely of rooms, there is no public kitchen/dining or common areas. But besides that, we thought this place was wonderful to stay at!

• 26th Jun 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

AAE Universal Maingate

Orlando, USA

This was actually a Days Inn hotel, and it was an EXCELLENT value. Yes, the bathroom ceiling had peeling paint and there were chips in the bathtub and some "ghost ants" in the room (they were so small, I don't think any hotel room would be able to keep them out), but the important things were there -- mattresses were nice and firm and large (queen size). There was ample hot water and excellent service (from check-in to daily maid service). And it was a 15 minute walk from Universal Studios.

Travellers Oasis

Cairns, Australia

Phenomenal hostel, truly lived up to its name of "Travellers' Oasis" -- my room was simple and small yet contained the essentials and was beautifully decorated (as was the entire hostel). The reception desk stayed open extra long to allow me to check in (normally closed from 12-4). The swimming pool, hammocks, outdoor covered tables with chargers, grill, kitchen, all came in handy to make my stay a very pleasant one.

Global Port Douglas

Port Douglas, Australia

Great central location on the main drag with all the shops, restaurants, and bars; very helpful and friendly staff who live in the hostel so they are very accessible and you get to know them. Feedback -- security is somewhat relaxed especially during the day (i.e. the door is open and the front desk is not always staffed) but I never felt unsecure, as the doors to the bedrooms are locked. Having said that, some in-room lockers might be nice. Internet was down the whole time I was there.

West Side YMCA

New York, USA

Strengths -- Location, location, location! Right near Lincoln Center, Central Park, eateries, subway stops. Can't beat the price for the location. Security was excellent. Pool and workout facilities were great. Weaknesses -- My main complaint is that the ambience was not very social, certainly not like many hostels I've stayed at where there is a common room where people hang out, play board games, or just meet each other. There really is no common lounge area.