Stone Hotel & Hostel

Utrecht, Netherlands

This was the best hostel stay on my 16-day stint around the Netherlands. It's so easy to get to - from the Central Station, just take the 8 bus a few stops to Wittevrouwenburg, and you're there. The woman at the desk gave me a great map of the city, told me where good grocery shops were, and I liked that there were just entry codes rather than a key that you could easily lose. Desk closes at 11:30 S-T - this is not a party hostel, but I still had a lot of fun here, as it's very close to bars.

Abhostel

Antwerp, Belgium

I think I would have liked Antwerp more if we'd stayed in a hostel NOT located in the groady, run-down area of town. We had a hard time finding the place, since the outside signage was so small, and standing out in the cold for a few minutes buzzing the doorbell wasn't fun. I had to call the number provided even though we were arriving during the appropriate check-in time. The interior is very factory-like with little character,& disturbingly quiet. Wish the owners would have been around more

Thanks for your review! We completly understand why YOU did not like our hostel and area!

Flying Pig Uptown

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I loved staying here. I was in two other hostels while I was in Amsterdam, and when I come back next year, I will be staying again at the Flying Pig. The cost per night was comparable to other hostels, but certain accommodations were cheaper, such as laptop rental, towel deposit, drinks, etc. The employees were very kind and helpful, the music in the bar was consistently excellent, and overall the feel of the place was welcoming and non-pretentious. Loved that they provided me w/a city map!