Pension De Laurier

Amsterdam, Netherlands

The owners were very nice and responsive to email inquiries. The internet and computer worked (though a little slow). Its close to the center of town and the neighborhood is beautiful The room is as described except there was no HOT WATER for our entire stay. If it were not for the lack of hot water, this would have been a great bargain.

B&B Wladimir Studios

Amsterdam, Netherlands

This is a great place to stay. Lot's of privacy. Very nice bathroom I really liked the outside patio and the small kitchenette. Breakfast is provided at an additional cost but I just went to the great patisserie around the corner. Almost everything you want to see is within 10-25 minutes walking.

Keystone House Kings Cross

After staying at the YHA hostel down the street, this one was a little disappointing. The place was clean and the security was good but it was a bit grungy. The staff were ok. I wouldn't describe them as friendly but they do their job. Breakfast was horrible!!!!! The bread was nasty, the jam was nasty, the 'orange juice" lacked oranges. I wasn't going near the beans. and even if I ate pork bacon, I wouldn't have tried. They should drop that "service" Street Noise Level beg. at 7 am VERY Loud.

Hotel Andre Gill

Paris, France

The hotel staff were very friendly. The facilities were clean. It is open 24hours and there is a security camera at the front desk. Breakfast basic (but ok) a croissant and a baguette with juice or coffee. In all are stay there was ok. The main issue I had was the construction. It was so bad that our room felt like it was crumbling. In fact, it was. The noise began around 8:30 am. Because we were out late everyday, we were wakened by the noise. Otherwise, it was a good stay.

YHA London St Pancras

I stayed at 4 hostels between paris and london, and YHA was the best. Clean rooms, warm blankets, laundry service, nice staff, restaurant with decent food on first floor, nice modern lounge area, nice bag hold area. The neighborhood is nice but doesn't offer much but its close to Eurostar and the Tube. We stayed in a private room with a bathroom. no complaints with exception of street noise in the morning but it was bearable. t would definitely stay here again.

We stayed in 5 hostels during our trip and I think this was the least preferred. Check in is a the bar. The guy was nice but you really don't see staff after unless you go to the bar. close to train station, neighborhood a bit hmmm grimy but ok...just don't venture far. Our private room was freezing in June but there was a very very loud portable space heater. I didn't care cause it was cold. Bathroom was ok. Room was very old but blanket was warm. Mattress was suspect.

Urban Hideaway Guesthouse

Vancouver, Canada

The guesthouse looks kind of questionable on the outside. However, once you enter the foyer, its wonderful. It feels like a hip, urban yet country inn. The owners are really nice and helpful. We stayed in the loft and I absolutely loved it. The bed was comfortable and the loft was very roomy and nicely decorated. It comes with an extra bed (futon) and a space heater for cold evenings. The doorknob kept falling off but otherwise I loved it. The breakfast options could be enhanced a little.

• 17th Apr 2012