River City Inn

Singapore, Singapore

Small hostel in the very center of the business district- within a 10 minute walk of Chinatown, Marina Bay, colonial district, and metro station. Clean rooms (though the dorm was big at 26 beds), nice common area, friendly staff. Would stay here again.

Pak-Up Hostel

Krabi, Thailand

Clean hostel in the center of Krabi, within easy walking distance of restaurants and the boat pier. Laid-back atmosphere with movies playing in the lobby, and good places to socialize on the balconies and in the bar. Big lockers under the beds (can fit a backpack). Great place!

Three of a Kind

Bangkok, Thailand

Nice hostel in the middle of the financial district, 5 minutes walk from the Sky Train station. Clean, but the dorm room was poorly lit and felt like a cave. No big lockers for bags or locks on dorm doors. Only small lockers outside the rooms (bring your own lock). Staff was friendly but a little unprofessional and inexperienced. That said, I think their goal is to feel like you're staying at someone's house, so it's good if that's what you're looking for.

Khammany Inn Hostel

Luang Prabang, Laos

I have stayed in dozens of hostels worldwide and this was by far the worst. Dark dorm room barely lit by fluorescent bulbs, filthy bathrooms with broken lights, sheets had not been cleaned, moldy pillow. And BEDBUGS. The staff messed up my booking and were very unconcerned when I asked for a clean sheet- they gave me one, but it was also dirty. I checked out first thing in the morning and switched to a guesthouse. There are dozens of them in town and it is money very well spent.

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! Big lockers under beds, clean, great atmosphere. Staff goes out of their way to help and answer questions. It's an easy place to meet people, but also has good areas to hang out on your own if you need a break. Don't miss the pool!

Camory Backpackers Hostel

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Perfect location along the river, spotless rooms and bathrooms, big lockers to store backpacks (although no locks on dorm doors). Only complaint is that I booked the 5-bed dorm, but was put in the 12-bed room. The second night, the staff told me I had to switch to the 5-bed dorm because there was a leak in the 12-bed room. When I went to move my stuff, I found that a big group had checked in to the 12-bed- no leak. I don't mind moving rooms, but the dishonesty was unprofessional.

The Town House 50

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Central location, very clean, friendly staff. It's worth the extra money to stay here!

Hanoi Rendezvous Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

Great hostel: clean, very helpful staff, and centrally located with easy access to trains and metro. It's in an interesting neighborhood packed with restaurants and shops. Only drawback is that you have to pay for a luggage locker in the room (or bring your own lock). The wifi didn't work when I was there, but the staff was working hard to fix it. Recommended!

Great hostel within easy walking distance of the train station and city center. Very clean with a good common area/ kitchen. They provide a lot of sightseeing info and are eager to offer suggestions. The staff called to sign me up for a last-minute tour of the Mazda Museum- very helpful! Would definitely come back.

Khaosan Kyoto Theater

Kyoto, Japan

Great hostel in a busy neighborhood in the center, with easy access to buses and trains. Very clean with a good kitchen and common area. Big lockers (with locks) are provided under each bed. If you're in Kyoto, stay here!

Thank you for your feedback! We are in the heart of the city center with restaurants and shopping malls all around the hostel, hope you enjoyed it :) and the cleanness is our big thing, we will try to keep it up until your next visit if you have a chance to come to Japan again :) Hope you had a great time in Kyoto, and all over Japan !!

Great hostel right in Gion with easy access to public transportation. Beds are completely surrounded by curtains, which is nice. There's a café downstairs with discounts for guests. The only downside is that the showers and sinks are all in one (coed) room off the lobby- only WCs are on each floor. Also, no free lockers to store your stuff (although you could pay for one), and the luggage room didn't seem to be locked.

J-Hoppers Hida Takayama Guesthouse

Hida Takayama, Japan

J-Hoppers is perfectly located in Takayama. The staff are excellent and are very eager to recommend restaurants and point out sights. Rooms are nice and spacious and beds have curtains all the way around. The only downside is that there is only one small shower room with a few stalls in the main lobby area. Also no free lockers to store your stuff during the day.

Thank you very much for staying with us and your honest review. We are very sorry that we have only one shower room on the 1st floor. However, we will have a lift next July, then we hope that it will be easier to use it. And we apologize that we didn't mention you that we have free lockers on each floors. We borrow pad locks to guests at the receptions. We are very sorry for that inconvenience you had. We will keep working very hard to help our guests enjoy their stay. Thank you very much!

Nice, clean hostel and friendly staff. In a good location: lots of great restaurants nearby, and only a few minutes' walk from Senso-ji. Easy access to the subway line. Highly recommended!

Hostel Erottajanpuisto

Helsinki, Finland

Great hostel- very centrally located, friendly staff, clean rooms. Only complaint is that there are no locks on the in-room lockers (although you can pay 2 euros for a locked one in the hall). Bathrooms are small but adequate. In a great neighborhood!

Euro Youth Hostel

Munich, Germany

Great hostel in the very center with friendly staff. Not much of a common area, but a great base to explore the city!

Ostello San Frediano

Lucca, Italy

Great hostel- right in the center of Lucca, clean, with pretty big rooms. Not the best place to meet people, but a good base for exploring the city. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful- they spent a lot of time pointing out highlights on the map and giving tips on day trips.

Dear Greta, thank you for your good review and nice words. With the hope of welcoming you in Lucca again, we wish you all the best, The Staff

Casa di Antonella

Siena, Italy

I had a fantastic stay here. It's right in the center of Siena (5 minutes' walk to Piazza del Campo). Fabrizio was very welcoming and took a lot of time to suggest day trips, sights, restaurants, and help with bus schedules. Very clean and pleasant. Also a great breakfast. I would definitely stay here again!

My Friends

Florence, Italy

This is a fantastic hostel. It is right in the center (10 minutes' walk from the Duomo). It's very clean and has a more home-like atmosphere. It's a smaller hostel (only a few rooms), so it's ideal for solo travellers or small groups. Nadina is so friendly and takes a lot of time to point out the best restaurants, gelato, and sights in the city. One of my best experiences at a hostel, I would definitely stay here again!

Generator Hostel Copenhagen

Copenhagen, Denmark

This is a great hostel- very clean, just a few minutes' walk from Nyhavn and the rest of the city center, and the staff is very eager to provide tips for seeing the city. Only downside is that you have to bring your own lock or buy one there (but the lockers are great once you have the lock). Also, the luggage room is left unlocked. Great place!

CVJM/YMCA Muenchen

Munich, Germany

Clean, nice common area, good (and free!) breakfast, great location. I would stay here again.

Wombats City Hostel Berlin

Berlin, Germany

Wombats runs the best hostels I've ever stayed in. This hostel is very centrally located in a great neighborhood- lots of restaurants, shops, and within a short walk of the center. It's extremely clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. Stay at Wombats!

Freedom Traveller

Rome, Italy

This is a pretty standard hostel, but the location is good and it is pretty clean. It's fine if you only plan on sleeping there and seeing the city for the whole day. Helpful staff.

Luxembourg City Hostel

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

The hostel was very clean and had a great location, right underneath the city casements and a ten minute walk from the center. It is bigger and has a more dorm-like, decentralized feel, but the staff were very helpful and the rooms were clean and well-kept. I would definitely stay here again.

Wombats was extremely clean and comfortable. The decor was very modern and tasteful, and the staff was extremely helpful. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it!