Reviews: jfdemarini

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 23

Formosa 101

Taipei, Taiwan

The location of this hostel is perfect: convenient transit access and close too all the fun nightlife. The lounge is a great place to hang out, and the staff is so helpful and knowledgeable. The only downside is that the bathrooms are outside, and that's a real drag in the Taipei summer. Otherwise, no complaints!

While it is close to the train station, Shinagawa is kind of a quiet neighborhood. Shinjuku and Shinbuya are only a few metro stops away, but if you're spending a night on the town, that's a hefty taxi home (unless you stay out until the first metros). It is a great place to relax, though, and my single room provided a nice retreat. The cozy little lounge at the entrance is pleasant enough and good for meeting people, but I wish it was open later!

Kyoto Hana Hostel

Kyoto, Japan

I only spent one night, so the location relative to the train station made this hostel great for me. The staff was very helpful and polite, and the lounge was cozy. I'll probably stay here a second time (and for longer) if I ever visit Tokyo again.

The stay here was wonderful! Staff was very helpful, and when I walked in the door I was offered an unagi bowl for dinner. The rooftop patio has a lovely view and was a great place to hang out on a summer night. The proximity to the train station makes it a great place for passing through, but if you're staying longer, a more happening area may be better.

Danim Backpackers

Daegu, South Korea

Only spent one night, but I'm sure I'll be back! Friendly, helpful staff and a nice little meeting room. All the cool bars/clubs/restaurants are within 20 minutes walk, too :)

Kimchee Gangnam Guesthouse

Seoul, South Korea

Great place to stay in Gangnam--just a few metro stops from the best places to party! The basement common room is a lovely place to hang out, too.

Pobi Hostel

Busan, South Korea

This place is in a great location with staff that knows the area very well. Having a hostel-cat helps, too! I just wish breakfast ran one hour longer! Looking forward to spending a couple of summer weekends here.

Bodega Bangkok

Bangkok, Thailand

Best hostel I've stayed in while travelling Asia. The brothers make up a fantastic staff and try to make sure you have a great time, and the food is delicious and about the same price as the restaurants in the area! Make sure you get the Margarita Queen to make you a margarita to enjoy on the chill deck, too.

Five Stones Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

The staff here was excellent, and the hangout area was pretty cool, though when I was there, guests didn't seem all that sociable--a little disappointing. Breakfast was nice, too! Haven't had cheese on toast provided by a hostel in a long time. The most important part though is the location: no more than ten minutes walk from both Chinatown and Clarke Quay.

Traveller@SG

Singapore, Singapore

Only spent one night here, but wish I'd had a bit more time--the deck area seemed lovely! Beds were fine, showers were nice, and the staff was chill about me doing an after-hours check in.

Reggae Mansion Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Those buckets on the roof top, man...got me every time. Luckily the beds were comfy, and I liked the curtained-off idea--dark and quiet. Straighten out that pool table, and everything'll be perfect. Wish I'd caught a BBQ!

Seoul I Guesthouse

Seoul, South Korea

I only spent a night here, but I know that any time I need to stay in the Hongdae area, this is the place: good location, pleasant common area and nice staff. Only complaint is that the hot water/heat broke on our floor, so there was a long wait for the two remaining showers, but that's not really their fault.

Pocitos Hostel

Montevideo, Uruguay

This place was the bomb. The friendly staff, the awesome hangout room and lovely yard made this a great location. It's a little ways away from the Old City, but the bars in the Pocitos area are great, as are the restaurants, and this hostel's location is prime. They even have a BBQ grill in the back yard, if you feel up for it.

Eco Pampa Hostel

Buenos Aires, Argentina

What a nice place to stay! The Palermo area is very nice with all its restaurants and caf├ęs. The staff are fantastic and know a lot about the city and are very welcoming. The kitchen is kind of small though, so if you plan on cooking a lot you may be disappointed.

Hi! Thank you for the review! we hope to see you again! :)

Hostel One Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

This is a nice place to stay in Prague. It's a little bit far from Old Town, but a twenty-five minute stroll will get you to the central square. The staff is friendly and helpful and the beer cheap. The only real problem I had was when the hot water was broken for one of the days I was there, but it was fixed next day.

Hostel Blues

Bratislava, Slovakia

A great hostel to stay in while visiting Bratislava. The staff is super cool and helpful (shoutout to Kristi and Ann) and the beer is cheap. The room's are nice and clean, everything works, and the tunes are solid.

Carpe Noctem

Budapest, Hungary

Easily the best hostel I've stayed in during my travels through Europe. The people that work there are all awesome and the events they plan are super fun, plus they know a ton about Budapest and are very helpful. The place is clean, the common room is a great place to relax and the kitchen is great. If I ever make it back to Budapest, this is where I'll be staying. - Joe D.

Hostel Ruthensteiner

Vienna, Austria

It's a pretty nice hostel; the courtyard is lovely. It is a bit of a ways from downtown Vienna, but it's right between downtown and the summer palace, so it depends what you want to see when you're visiting the city.

Passenger Ship Maria Alberta

Amsterdam, Netherlands

This "boatell" is awesome. Lucas is such a cool guy and really made us feel welcome, plus breakfast was lovely. The rooms were small, but it was perfect for what my friends and I wanted: a cozy night in Amsterdam. If I'm ever looking for a B&B in Amsterdam, I'd definitely stay here again.

• 6th May 2012
  • Globetrotter

The rooms are nice and clean, but there's no real "common area" because it's part of the Belushi's bar/restaurant--they share a lobby. It's not a place designed for you to hang out and meet people because it's set up like a restaurant. The hostel's also pretty far from downtown Paris (and as my walking tour guide said, located in "stabbyville"), so you are completely dependent on the metros to get anywhere.

Wombats City Hostel Berlin

Berlin, Germany

One of the best hostels I've stayed in since coming to Europe. The WomBar has a terrace with a great view of the city and really cheap drinks--especially at happy hour.

Ciak Hostel

Rome, Italy

I happened to contract food poisoning while staying at Ciak, and the staff was very kind and helpful with me. However, the hostel itself isn't that great. The common area is tiny, the bathrooms smelled and were not very clean, and my top bunk bed broke while I was in it so I had to sleep on my mattress on the floor! Only stay here if you really have no other options, I suppose.

Vertigo Centre

Marseille, France

The indoor and outdoor common areas are both fantastic! It's just too bad they close at 11...

Vertigo Vieux-Port

Marseille, France

It's a cool place, but they close down the common area at about midnight. It's also a bit far from the city center, but the proximity to the sea and more laid back nature of the area is nice.

Budget Hotel Tourist Inn

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Sleep in Heaven

Copenhagen, Denmark

I think towels should be included with the room, instead of an extra 20 DKK.