• England, Mixed Group, 18-24
Hootananny Hostel, London, England
5.1
8th Nov 2014

Good safe location, right opposite Sainsbury's and fairly close to O2 Academy Brixton. The hostel itself isn't great. The rooms are messy and dirty, the floor wasn't clean and there were packets of half eaten food under my bed, and half empty bottles of alcohol along the windowsill which looked like they could've been there a while. The hostel is above a bar/club which is noisy at night and they don't even let you in for free, as a hostel guest you shouldn't have to pay entry to the bar below!

• England, Couple, 18-24
Naz Wooden House Inn, Istanbul, Turkey
31st Mar 2014

Good location, lots of restaurants, shops and cafés nearby and less than 5 minutes walk from the blue mosque. Having a buffet breakfast every morning on the balcony overlooking the Bosphorus was definitely the highlight of our stay. We stayed in the economy room which turned out to be very small. Overall a nice quiet hotel with friendly staff and a beautiful sea view.

Hostel Belle Meuniere, Nice, France
5.4
23rd Jul 2012

Hostel is close to the train station, not too far from the beach or city centre. Rooms are cosy and homely..Only two showers in the whole hostel which means it's rarely free. Staff are not very friendly, I was rudely chased out of the kitchen when I walked through thinking it was a guest kitchen as there wasn't a single "private" sign. One key per room is inconvenient. It's nice to have my bed made, however the sheets weren't changed when a new guest arrived so I don't know how clean they are...

Mona Lisa Hostel, Rome, Italy
17th Jul 2012

This is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. Yusef (manager) is friendly, caring enough to give you ice cold water when you're tired and hot. To quote him, "if you're happy I'm happy", that says it all. He cooks dinner for everyone which means you actually get to know people staying in the hostel, we went out for the evening in Rome with people from the hostel which didn't happen anywhere else during our trip. Bathrooms aren't the nicest but I didn't see any bedbugs and there's aircon!

A&O Wien Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria
5.4
13th Jul 2012

Atmosphere was impersonal. Helpfulness of staff is very hit and miss. I asked for help with the cooker, the guy said he'd come and help but never did. However when we had problems using the laundry the girl we asked was helpful, and our travel documents were returned to us after leaving it in the common area. Kitchen is stuffy and hot as there's no windows or ventilation and the door won't stay open. Charging so much for wi-fi is crazy considering most hostels don't. Wouldn't stay here again.

Hostelle - Female Only Hostel, Amsterdam, Netherlands
4th Jul 2012

I love this place!! Not in the city centre, you have to get the metro then it's a 10 minute walk through a shopping street which is shady at night time. But once you get to the hostel (hard to find at first) it is so worth it. The sign-in sheet makes you feel secure, Lidl is 3 mins away and the kitchen and lounge/dining area is the best and most homely I've ever encountered (I've stayed in 10 hostels so far). Love the interior design of the place, made me proud to be female! I'd stay here again!

• England, All Female Group, 18-24
Smart Sea View Brighton, Brighton, England
6.0
4th Apr 2012

This was our first time in a hostel so we weren't sure what to expect. For £10 a night it wasn't bad; fairly clean, nice reception area, none of our belongings got stolen or anything, everyone was pretty relaxed. It takes at least half an hour to walk to the centre of Brighton, it's an easy walk though, just keep going straight down along the seafront. You have to pay a £10 deposit for a key card to get into the room and parking isn't free, you have to pay £5 a day at the nearest pay & display.