Location: England, Gender: Female, Age: 37

Smart Camden Hostel

The only good thing about this hostel is the location. It is cramped and in desperate need of refurbishment. The toilet on our floor was the size and condition of a portaloo, but without a seat or soap. Our room's window did not shut, hence it was freezing in there. The staff charged my friend to leave a carrier bag in their shed for 2 hours (£1.50 per bag). The whole place needs a bloody good clean. Look elsewhere if you can.

Hello, thank you very much for your feedback and we are really sorry If we didn't meet your expectations. We take all the comments very seriously and we will try to improve our service. All the maintenance/cleaning issues are resolved promptly, though we need to be aware of them. SCI Staff

EastSeven Berlin Hostel

Berlin, Germany

It is hard to fault this hostel - they have the backpacker nailed. Enjoyed our stay here, found the staff very helpful and flexible. The area can seem a little bit quiet at night but is is so easy to get the underground from the hostel and it is only a short walk away to bars and nightlife. My only complaint would be the duvets...much too small and I needed two to keep warm! It is spotlessly clean too. Would definitely stay here again if I go back to Berlin.

Arsenal Tavern Hostel

Stayed here for a gig in Finsbury Park. It is remarkable value for money if you just want somewhere to put your head down after a night out. The communal area is great and I met lots of people. The dorms are cramped and bathrooms grubby, but it is so cheap, who cares? The bed was clean and there is free breakfast to soak up the hangover. It was 10 minutes walk from Finsbury Station and near to loads of take-aways, restaurants and pubs. I thought it was an absolute bargain for a short stay.

Aline Hotel

Florence, Italy

The hotel staff were lovely. We had a room at the front, which was literally two beds and a sink. The street noise was unbearable from traffic so we asked to switch to a vacant room at the back, which had a balcony, shower, and lovely views. I would insist when booking on a room at the back, otherwise you may struggle to see any charm in the place. The hotel was clean though and beds were changed. The locations was good for transport links and a mere 10 mins walk to the Duomo.

Rossco Backpackers Hostel

San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico

Brilliant hostel. Ended up staying a week. No complaints really except a little short on bathrooms. Love the kitchen, free breakfast, fire pit and film lounge. A really nice place to stay. Would recommend x

Tower Bridge Backpackers

Puerto Escondido, Mexico

The bar is cheap, the people are fun. BUT the female dorm is a mess, with people sleeping on mattresses on the floor and one toilet / shower for 15 women. The door was always open, people can easily access it from the street. There were lockers but no padlocks available and there was nowhere to leave my belongings. I have been to better squats. The staff were not helpful, they just want your money people. Also, the location is isolated. Get more for your money in Zicatela or La Punta!

Hostel Don Nino

Oaxaca, Mexico

The location is 10 minutes walk to town but this was a pleasant and safe walk and the park opposite was lovely. It was very cold at night and I didn't sleep well. Make sure you ask them for an extra blanket. There are good facilties, although it is a bit annoying the showers are downstairs. The staff are lovely and helpful. They have several flat screen TVs with Cable if you get really bored at night. It was quiet there though and not much opportunity to socialise. The breakfast was OK.

Hostal La Buena Vida

Mexico City, Mexico

This is a lovely, clean hostel with amazingly comfy beds, secure lockers and free breakfast. The location was perfect in La Condesa as I am travelling alone and I felt very safe during the day and at night. The Metro is 10 minutes walk, the Bosque 30 min and there are cash machines, restaurants, bars and a supermarket within 5 minutes. The staff could be a little unhelpful at times. My only complaint is that it was very quiet and difficult to meet people.

Equity Point London

Lovely stay. Thought the room was a little pricey but the location was great and we were able to leave our luggage there for free after we checked out. Breakfast was good but they took it at 10am on the dot so we missed most of it.

Alice Lodge Backpackers

Alice Springs, Australia

Lovely little hostel with very friendly and helpful staff and lots of facilities. It was a pleasant place to to stay and i loved the free tea! It was also spotlessly clean.

Scummy hostel with miserable staff who didn't want to give me any information about the facilities, or lack of them. Loads of drunk backpackers and noise...people asleep in the corridoors. It wasn't even cheap or clean. It does have a really central location and the building has a certain charm, although it needs a serious facelift. I was only there for one night in transit and it served it;s purpose but i wouldn't stay there longer.

Great staff and information available. Very sociable and friendly place in a good central location.

Hostel Lum 'n Abner

Amsterdam, Netherlands

A very unusual experience!! A bit off the beaten track but really good fun and great people.

Hostal Santillan

Madrid, Spain

The room was very hot and stuffy. NO communal area so met no-one.

Itaca Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

They charge 2 euros for their breakfasts and close the kitchen so you cannot make your own. I thought this was tight.