Canadiana Backpackers Inn

Toronto, Canada

We stayed in this hostel twice, in early July and late July. Our first time was good: our assigned room had good A/C, and the showers were great. But our second time was terrible. The A/C in the new room did nothing. We were given a fan, but the plugs were too far from our beds to feel it, so we barely slept. Bugs on the floor. My top bunk had no proper ladder, so I half-fell each time. When I told the staff, they acted indifferent and said they were fully booked. I will not return.

USA Hostels San Francisco

San Francisco, USA

Good things about this hostel: the electric outlets and light in every bed, and the wifi. The bad: Sewage smells throughout hostel and NO QUIET SPACES: noisy at night, loud music in lobby all day, no spaces to read quietly (the "library", had people in it being loud all three times I tried it). The lobby often smells like smoke because people smoke right outside the door. I did not enjoy my stay. I was there for a conference and meetings and had nowhere to sit quietly and prepare for them.

• 14th Nov 2012
  • Israel

Pros: hot showers, nice common area, nice location only a 20 minute walk from Regent's Park, cool design of three-level bunks in the bigger rooms (at some point I had a third level bunk with two people below me, and a nice big ladder, cool experience!). Cons: beds are narrow and uncomfortable (think army cots); kitchen closed part of the day and after 11pm so no late-night tea; no wifi in rooms; the blankets/sheets always smelled like fried food in each of the three rooms I stayed in.

• 26th Apr 2012

Globetrotters/The Townhouse

Dublin, Ireland

Yes the Irish breakfast is excellent. But it's not enough. The atmosphere and facilities suffered: not enough social space or quiet space, hardly any outlets in the whole hostel. I had a top bunk and there were no supports to hoist yourself up or down safely. Another girl and I fell from our ladders a couple times as a result, and staff acted huffy at my mention of it. 1 toilet and 1 shower are not enough for 8 strangers to share in a room. We'd often have to give up on showering.

• 21st Apr 2012

Caledonian Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

This was the best hostel I've stayed in in Europe, and in fact it'll be one of the things I miss most about Edinburgh. Many beautifully painted rooms to hang out in, lots of games and socializing space but also good quiet space that I desperately needed to study, friendly staff (a rare thing in the hostel world!), big lockers, a well-equipped kitchen with utensils, hot showers, great beds. Breakfast was basic cereal, tea/coffee and toast but they also threw in fresh fruit which was nice

• 19th Apr 2012

St Christopher's Oasis

Pros: nice clean beds; very hot showers; affordable. Cons: not enough common space; no quiet spaces at all; internet usually doesn't work in Oasis, you have to walk to the Village for that; the staff are mostly unfriendly (my questions about things going wrong like the door not working and not being given a towel for Oasis were met with hostility or impatience and no rush to help until several requests were made).

• 10th Apr 2012