• USA, Female, 25-30
Canadiana Backpackers Inn, Toronto, Canada
6.3
5th Jul 2014

We stayed in this hostel twice, in early July and late July. Our first time was good: our assigned room had good A/C, and the showers were great. But our second time was terrible. The A/C in the new room did nothing. We were given a fan, but the plugs were too far from our beds to feel it, so we barely slept. Bugs on the floor. My top bunk had no proper ladder, so I half-fell each time. When I told the staff, they acted indifferent and said they were fully booked. I will not return.

Sorry to hear your second stay with us was not as good as the first. The summers in Toronto can be incredibly hot but we do our best with AC and fans to still give guests a good nights sleep. We usually are able to change a guest's room if they are unhappy but we are often fully booked in the summer so this cannot always be done; we have since ensured there are adequate ladders to access all of our top bunk beds.

USA Hostels San Francisco, San Francisco, USA
5.1
14th Nov 2012

Good things about this hostel: the electric outlets and light in every bed, and the wifi. The bad: Sewage smells throughout hostel and NO QUIET SPACES: noisy at night, loud music in lobby all day, no spaces to read quietly (the "library", had people in it being loud all three times I tried it). The lobby often smells like smoke because people smoke right outside the door. I did not enjoy my stay. I was there for a conference and meetings and had nowhere to sit quietly and prepare for them.

7.4
26th Apr 2012

Pros: hot showers, nice common area, nice location only a 20 minute walk from Regent's Park, cool design of three-level bunks in the bigger rooms (at some point I had a third level bunk with two people below me, and a nice big ladder, cool experience!). Cons: beds are narrow and uncomfortable (think army cots); kitchen closed part of the day and after 11pm so no late-night tea; no wifi in rooms; the blankets/sheets always smelled like fried food in each of the three rooms I stayed in.

Globetrotters/The Townhouse, Dublin, Ireland
6.6
21st Apr 2012

Yes the Irish breakfast is excellent. But it's not enough. The atmosphere and facilities suffered: not enough social space or quiet space, hardly any outlets in the whole hostel. I had a top bunk and there were no supports to hoist yourself up or down safely. Another girl and I fell from our ladders a couple times as a result, and staff acted huffy at my mention of it. 1 toilet and 1 shower are not enough for 8 strangers to share in a room. We'd often have to give up on showering.

Caledonian Backpackers, Edinburgh, Scotland
19th Apr 2012

This was the best hostel I've stayed in in Europe, and in fact it'll be one of the things I miss most about Edinburgh. Many beautifully painted rooms to hang out in, lots of games and socializing space but also good quiet space that I desperately needed to study, friendly staff (a rare thing in the hostel world!), big lockers, a well-equipped kitchen with utensils, hot showers, great beds. Breakfast was basic cereal, tea/coffee and toast but they also threw in fresh fruit which was nice