HI-Vancouver Downtown

Vancouver, Canada

Security is an issue. Maybe the staff sometimes steal because most guests are well off but staff probably are not. I left a top to dry in the laundry room and it disappeared. Since food was stolen from my bag in the fridge last year, I kept a washcloth to cover stuff in a bag in the fridge this time, &someone untied the bag & took it. Tired and in a hurry checking out, I left a batter with charger on a bed, which a housekeeper surely would have seen but it did not get turned in.

40 Berkeley Hostel

Boston, USA

I tried different rooms and found that one bed was more comfortable than another. The location would be better without the heavy vehicle traffic, which starts at around 5 a.m. and can wake up guests. Overall, though, I'd recommend it because it seems to serve the community as well as tourists and is therefore worth supporting. Also, there is ample and varied space for hanging out. I think it has more private rooms than some other hostels and is a bit more affordable in that regard.

HI-Vancouver Downtown

Vancouver, Canada

The 3rd floor smelled like dirty socks. Drainage problem in 3rd floor ladies washroom. My food (wrapped, labeled, sealed) in fridge was stolen. An item was stolen from my room (hairbrush). The dorm was very stuffy and cramped. Generally, though the staff and facilities are quite good, and it would be hard to beat the location.