Reviews: GlennCampbell

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 54

Hollywood Beach Hostel

Fort Lauderdale, USA

A great place if you want to get away from the hustle of Miami Beach. Just yards from a quiet, safe beach where you can swim year-round. Former motel. Each room has a kitchenette. Easy bus ride to the Tri Rail station for MIA airport. FLL takes two buses and about 45 minutes. (FLL usually has cheaper airfares than MIA.) Good wifi. No common areas apart from the open lounge space between buildings. FREE bike and board rental. FYI: They will take a $50 hold on your credit card. I'll be back!

Hostel HOMEr

Prague, Czech Republic

Great place! I reserved for two nights and stay for four. Excellent location - a 20 minute walk from the train station (You'll need a map.) but right in the center of the tourist district. Good wifi. Big supermarket nearby (but you'll need directions to find it). Spacious kitchen, but only one hotplate was working when I was there. Fun fact: "HOMEr" refers to the Simpson patriarch.

Generator Hostel Hamburg

Hamburg, Germany

A giant McHostel directly across from the main station. It's great for what it does: providing affordable, efficient, super-safe, super-clean lodging in a prime location. The one thing you won't find here is a guest kitchen and the relaxed opportunity to socialize that comes with it. The rules say no food in the rooms, but with no kitchen it's unavoidable. I'd stay here again as convenient lodging but not make friends.

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

Great place in an excellent location! ~1 km from central station. This is a big 7-floor hostel but doesn't feel that way. Super clean. Well-equipped kitchen. I'd stay here again. Notes: Wifi free in the lobby, but bogs down in evening. Better wifi, including in rooms, costs 70 DKK for your stay. Bike rental 70 DKK/day. Credit card can be used for everything, so I spent 2 days here with no DKK cash at all.

Anker Hostel

Oslo, Norway

An excellent value in hyper-expensive Oslo, but not the best place to meet people. Only about a kilometer walk from the bus/train station. (You don't need a tram but you do need a map.) No central guest kitchen, only a kitchenette in each room (with no cooking supplies). Hostel occupies a big, modern, ultra-clean hotel building. No real hostel breakfast; they just send you to a restaurant a block away.

City Backpackers Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

A good deal in hyper-expensive Stockholm. A big, well-run hostel, but doesn't feel big. Easy walk from bus/train station. Supermarket about a 5 minute walk (where you can at least afford potatoes). Hostel bike rental at SEK 50 for 4 hours. (Also municipal bikes available nearby in summer.) Big common kitchen with free pasta. Expect a one-time linen charge. My photos: glenn-campbell.com/detail/stockholm

The Warsaw Hostel

Warsaw, Poland

Good value. Excellent location. Solid Wifi. Well-stocked supermarket next door. Hostel consists of six bunk rooms along a central corridor on the 1st floor (USA=2nd) of a large multi-use building. The wide corridor and high ceilings make it feel spacious. Basic kitchen with hotplate, microwave and fridge. Hostel can be hard to find the first time, so print a map. Not well marked on outside. Look for ornate entry with statue above the door.

Good, clean, utilitarian lodging close to Laguardia airport. This is my sixth stay. Not a great location for tourist stuff and nothing of interest near the hostel (not even groceries), but great if you happen to be flying in or out of LGA. Also a good choice on weekends and holidays when other hostels' rates are through the roof. The only barrier to using this as a tourist base is the 15-minute bus ride to the subway, which doesn't add to the subway cost if you use a transit card.

Q4 Hotel

New York, USA

An excellent choice! Adjacent to the Queens Plaze subway, so virtually the same as staying in Manhattan. Clean, spacious and well-run. Only negatives: Nothing much to do within walking distance. Good kitchen but grocery store is a 15 minute walk. You'll use this hostel mainly as a staging area for subway trips to Manhattan.

My third stay. Safe, clean and relatively spacious lodging when other hostels are full or too expensive (especially weekends and holidays). Convenient to LaGuardia airport but nothing else. Spacious common room (in a separate building) but it is closed 2am-7am, which could be a problem for visitors coming from Europe. Bus to Manhattan from outside the hostel runs 24 hours.

Bodrum Backpackers

Bodrum, Turkey

Gets the job done. Good location. A bit crowded and rough around the edges. Management seems disorganized. Hostel is pushing it's own services and vendors, so don't expect unbiased advice regarding food, airport transportation, etc. I wish there was some competition in town, but this one works.

The New York Loft Hostel

New York, USA

I've stayed at several hostels in NYC, and this is by far my favorite. (My 2nd stay.) The most spacious hostel I have stayed in -- not just in NY but anywhere! Neighborhood is bland and semi-industrial, but the hostel's facilities are superior. An easy subway ride to Manhattan (not much different than staying there). Just be sure to reserve in advance, cuz they fill up fast.

Not an optimal location, but workable once you understand the constraints. Hotel on the edge of a dense middle class residential area. Not even a convenience store nearby. The facilities of the hostel itself are pretty good however: spacious rooms, fast wifi, large common area, kitchen. Good access to LGA. Allow 45 minutes to get to mid-town Manhattan via M60 bus and subway. Not my first choice in NY, but I felt safe and comfortable here for 2 nights. Check out Jackson Heights, a world bazaar!

Imagine your a character in a Dashielle Hammett novel. "He was living in a two-bit hotel in the Tenderloin." This converted 6-story hotel has plenty of character and couldn't be more centrally located. Probably a lot safer and cleaner than in the 30s. I was comfortable here and will probably return. No many power plugs in the rooms, however, so bring a branching cube.

Great place! On the 2nd and 3rd floors above a cafe. 1 block to subway and North Station. Walkable to North End and Quincy Market. My 2nd stay, and I'll be back!

Thanks for the awesome comments! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, and we can't wait to see you again soon!

Apple Hostels of Philadelphia

Philadelphia, USA

I was forced to cancel but am leaving a mediocre review for their HW listing. Listing fails to clearly state that it is NOT OPEN TO U.S. CITIZENS UNLESS YOU ARE A STUDENT. I do not question their right to make this restriction, only that it is buried deep in their entry. You have to read every word of the description to figure it out. This should be at the TOP of the entry. I wasted my time and money be reserving based on a casual reading. Only just before travelling did I read the details.

Montreal Central

Montreal, Canada

A hostel that looks and feels more like an upscale hotel. Couldn't be more central, right around the corner from the bus station! Good wifi. Microwave/fridge in rooms. Free breakfast. Would come back!

Inconvenient location but excellent facilities. It feel like you're staying in the country, far from the city. You have to figure in the long walk from the bus stop or the cab fare from the city ($20-ish from 30th Street Station). Cab drivers may not know the place so be prepared to direct them.

Chillout Cengo

Istanbul, Turkey

Great place! Occupies the equivalent of three large apartments on three upper floors in the heart of Istanbul's main shopping district. (Much better to stay here in the Taksim area rather than the Old City, which is more sterile and touristic.) Good wifi. Small supermarket around the corner and plenty of food options within steps of the hostel. Showers are a little primitive but workable. Reach main tourist sites by public transit or a long walk.

NY Moore Hostel

New York, USA

A remarkably spacious hostel in a warehouse district of Brooklyn. Would stay here again. Only drawback is the lack of a kitchen (just a microwave/toaster oven/hotplate). The neighborhood has nothing much to offer, but Manhattan is a 15-minute subway ride away.

Downtown Washington Hostel

Washington DC, USA

I have used this hostel a couple of times as practical lodging when traveling in and out of Union Station (about 15 min walk). Hostel occupies roughly the space of two apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors above a storefront in an upscale DC neighborhood (which I consider safe). Groceries nearby. Expect stairs.

Best hostel of my two-week trip! Occupies the 3rd floor of a multi-use building above a McDonalds. Best possible location in the city, directly across the street from the main station, but may be hard to find the first time. You have to walk THROUGH McDonalds to get to it (between the restaurant and the McCafe). 24-hour currency exchange across street. Nearby supermarket open til midnight. Convenient access to Old Town (but better location than Old Town hostels). Nice staff. Good wifi.

Hostel Stadion

Helsinki, Finland

One should be grateful for affordable lodging in this expensive city. Hostel is clean, safe and well-run but wouldn't rate highly anywhere else. Too far from the city center, and too big and institutional. Wifi is sluggish and only works in the lobby area. Hostel is actually in the Olympic Stadium, under the bleachers. Well equipped kitchen and a 24 supermarket nearby ($$$ like all of Helsinki). Neighborhood feels sterile but safe. I'd stay here again for its value, but not excited about it.

The Palace Hostel

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Hostel occupies a spacious townhouse. The rooms are air conditioned and the common areas are in the ambient air. Enjoyed my stay and even returned for a second night. Negative: Only one working shower when I was there. Kitchen has hotplate and microwave only. (Note on San Juan: transit system is adequate but confusing. Buses don't seem to stop where signs say they do and there's little info online. Had an easy time getting to hostel from airport but hell of a time getting back to the airport.)

Stayokay Amsterdam Stadsdoelen

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Stayed here for one night during an overnight layover and it fit the bill. Main complaint is the lack of a guest kitchen. I found it a pleasant walk from the train station.

Backpackers Fairytale

Split, Croatia

This is a penthouse apartment turned into a hostel. I'd stay again. It's on a high floor (5th?) so expect a lot of stairs. It's quite close to the old city but can be incredibly difficult to find, even with a map and directions. When trying to find the hostel, here are some hints: The street it is on is right side of a long parking plaza, which has several street names, with the hostel near the end. Look for an apartment building with a medical symbol above the door, just BEYOND Istarska Street.

The New York Loft Hostel

New York, USA

So spacious you'd never think you were in NY! Occupies an entire 4-story warehouse in a safe Bohemian/industrial section of Brooklyn. Via subway, as easy to get to as any Manhattan hostel. 10-bed dorms are a huge spaces with lots of elbow room. Ample breakfast. I've stayed at many NY hostels & this is now my first choice. Warning: always reserve via Hostelworld, as walk-in rate could be much higher. See my hostel photos in this album: http://Glenn-Campbell.com/album?Brooklyn

Khaosan Tokyo Ninja

Tokyo, Japan

Great place to stay! Good wifi. Clean. Excellent showers. The 20 bed dorms are "cabin beds", the homemade equivalent of a capsule hotel. You get your own little box with a closing door for a privacy. (The next best thing to a private room.) Spacious kitchen/common room in the basement, insulated from the dorms. 24-hour supermarket nearby. Very safe. Near Toei subway and JR rail, but not Tokyo Metro. I stayed at three hostels in Tokyo, and this would be my first choice to return to.

Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your rating and feedback. We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us. We will keep doing our best to make our hostel more comfortable and pleasant. We look forward to seeing you next time. Thank you very much again.

Downtown Washington Hostel

Washington DC, USA

Hostel occupies two floors above a storefront in a safe, upscale DC neighborhood. Almost a mile walk from Union Station (through a safe neighborhood). You'll need a map the first time. Small but adequate kitchen. Small supermarket nearby. Good wifi. 8-bed dorm is more comfortable than the smaller rooms. New beds. Leave your shoes at the door. I was NOT HAPPY to be charged the full cost of my stay on my credit card before I arrived (a legally dubious practice). Might stay here again.

This is the biggest hostel I have ever stayed at, occupying a grand hotel 1 block from the subway. For its size, it is clean, safe and well run, and I will stay here again. Free, reliable wifi. (Hostel computers, though, are $6/hr.) Good security. (Bring your own lock for in-room locker.) Many lounges and common rooms, big courtyard patio. No free breakfast, but $2 will feed you the equivalent at the snack bar. Spacious kitchen. $5/day storage lockers. My hostel photos: http://j.mp/nssrWi

Clean, safe, simple lodging at a reasonable rate for the area. Occupies two floors above a storefront in a commercial area near TD Garden. Short walk to North Station subway and North End. Good wifi. Kitchen has only a fridge, microwave and toaster. Custom-made wooden bunks with lockers under the bed (bring own lock). Breakfast: cereal, toast, juice coffee. Common area closes midday and late at night, which might be a pain if you are jetlagged.

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

An excellent choice for the money. Occupies the upper floors above a neighborhood pub (where most of the clients seem to be hostelers). 15 minute walk from Victoria station. Good, free wifi in pub, but dodgy upstairs (where they want you to pay for wifi). Hostel's directions from Pimlico tube station led me astray. (Go LEFT at St. Georges Square at the church, not right. Found myself heading back to Victoria.) Tight dorm rooms. No kitchen. Free soft drinks, snacks and earplugs.

The Monkeys in the Trees

Really enjoyed my stay--so much that I extended it and came back again a second time! I'll be back here again. The only negative is its somewhat distant location: 10-minute walk to Shepherds Bush Market tube station then a 20 minute ride to Central London. (£4 one-way or get a transit day pass for £6.60.) Good, free wifi. Good showers. You need no less than 4 security codes to get in after hours. Lots of shopping nearby. My photos of hostel and area: http://Glenn-Campbell.com/album?shepherdsbush

Best Holidays Venice

Venice, Italy

Clean, spacious, central Venice location, solid free wifi. Not too fond of the staff, but I'd stay here again for the excellent value. Hostels directions are accurate but inadequate. From the Rialto Bridge, go straight for several blocks before you find the little bridge. Look for a big sign "Sestier de S. Polo". Just to the right is a 1-meter wide alley leading to the hostel. Correct address is 1615, not 1612, which is an expensive-looking guesthouse. Expect to climb stairs.

Pella-Inn

Athens, Greece

My 2nd stay at the Pella Inn, and I'd stay here again! This is a multi-story former hotel with a stunning view of the Acropolis from the rooftop terrace and many of the rooms. Nice staff. Solid wifi in the lobby and in at least the rooms. Close to Metro. Walk to Acropolis. No kitchen. Primitive showers that are difficult to use. My main complaint from last time is resolved: Each dorm guest now gets his own key (for a 5 euro deposit). Come for the rooftop terrace alone! Photo: http://j.mp/nySKZU

Wake UP! Cairo Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

Reserved for one night and stayed for four, so very happy. 5-room hostel on a high floor of a multi-use building. Stunning views from common area and some rooms. Nice staff. Ideally located, close to Egyptian Museum, but hard to find on first visit. (To find it, walk along a straight line between the museum and the Nasser subway station.) Solid wifi at nominal cost. Bottled water & drinks for sale. Small kitchen. My video of hostel: http://youtu.be/U-bcrxMlm3w

Pella-Inn

Athens, Greece

Came for one night and stayed for 3, so pretty happy overall. Million dollar view of the Acropolis from roof and most rooms! Location couldn't be better. Negatives: no kitchen, primitive showers. The system of one key per dorm room can be awkward. Comfortable common room. Solid wifi in lobby and many rooms.

A brand new hostel, only about a month old. Well worth any premium you pay over other hostels! The Chef also offers breakfast and occasional dinner at very low prices. Solid wifi. About a 20 minute walk from the Central Bus Station.

Corinne Hostel

Eilat, Israel

I'd stay here again! Excellent location near the bus station. Funky decor reminds you a little of Russia. Good Wifi. Dorm rooms segregated by gender (a quaint concept). 24 hour reception. Short walk to the beach and boardwalk. Groceries and all manner of services nearby.

New Palm Hostel

Jerusalem, Israel

I've stayed here twice. Not my first choice in Jerusalem, but it works and I'd stay here again. Kitchen is primitive (no microwave). Hostel is well-marked in neon and is across the street from the Damascus Gate, but it still took me a while to find the first time. (It's above a fruit market.)

Arch-Ist Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

Came for one night and stayed for five, so it worked for me. Occupies several floors of a thin apartment building, so lots of steep stairs. Spacious kitchen and common area. Good wifi in lobby. Location might not be good for everyone. Close to Taksim square (and airport buses), but hard to find on first visit, so study your maps carefully. Public transit to the Blue Mosque area can be confusing and involves a lot of hilly walking. My VIDEO of the hostel: http://youtu.be/mRKJT2GHofw

My third stay. Clean, simple, in the center of everything. Not a party hostel—which is good! Solid Wifi (except in the 10-bed dorm). See my Miami Beach photos, including several of the hostel: http://j.mp/cjJrcY

USA Hostels San Francisco

San Francisco, USA

Worked for me! Stayed only one night and left early, but seems well-run.

Abraham Hostel Jerusalem

Jerusalem, Israel

Thoroughly enjoyed my 4-night stay! Hostel is in a commercial building halfway between central bus station and Old City. Still has some rough edges due to construction, but super staff makes up for it! Solid wifi in lobby. Tours and advice galore! My photos on Xmas: http://j.mp/ffpfVw

The Beez Kneez Bakpakers Hostel

Whitehorse, Canada

Found this a warm and friendly place in the dead of winter. Hostel occupies a Brady Bunch-style split-level ranch house. The proprietor, Nancy, lives on site. Good wifi, but the hostel is sensitive about heavy use due to high overage charges in the Yukon. I'd stay here again! My photos of Whitehorse (including several of the hostel): http://j.mp/hxvUtJ

This place is sweet! I've stayed here twice and will stay here again. Essentially a small hotel occupying the 2nd floor above storefronts on Ocean Drive, directly across the street from the beach and in the middle of South Beach nightlife. Spacious 2-story lobby makes it seem bigger than it is. Squeaky clean and efficiently run. Not a party hostel. (You can get a good night's slieep!) Solid, fast wifi and FREE public computers.

This hostel occupies an old two-story hotel about a block from the beach. The free meals are remarkable for the price. I liked the place but had to move out after one night for only one reason: dodgy wifi. It is available only in the lobby and it doesn't seem intended for the traffic it carries. (Worked well for me only before dawn.)

HI - Winnipeg Downtown

Winnipeg, Canada

A bit institutional, but it perfectly served my needs. Good free wifi. Not much to do in the area, but that reflects the city, not the hostel. I'd stay there again!

Las Musas Hostel

Madrid, Spain

I've stayed in several hostels in Madrid, but this is the one I am most likely to return to. It's a big hostel, occupying three floors of a former apartment house, but since the original floorplans are retained, it doesn't feel big. Many bathrooms, two kitchens, two common areas. Wifi was a little flaky, especially in the evening, but was adequate. Key card access to rooms. Excellent location near Metro. A simple, clean, cheap place that works!

Loved it! Came for 1 night and stayed for three! 5 min. walk to the beach, old town and ferry. 15 min walk from bus. Good WiFi (that staff depends on too, so they'll fix it if it goes out). Big, well-equipped kitchen. Nice staff! My Tarifa album has some hostel photos: http://j.mp/aOYglK

Nuevo Suizo

Seville, Spain

Was comfortable here and would stay again. Getting here the first time can be confusing so plot your own course from the bus or train station. No kitchen, only a fridge and microwave. Good wifi.

Nathan's Villa Sighisoara

Sighisoara, Romania

Nice place in the best location possible! Within a block of the train station, grocery stores and a farmers market. About 10 minutes walk from the old city center and Dracula's birthplace. Would stay here again!

Chillton 2

Belgrade, Serbia

Old Town Zagreb

Zagreb, Croatia

This is an apartment hostel with only two bedrooms: a 10-bunk dorm and a 2 bed private. However, the pre-Communist architecture and high ceilings make it feel very spacious. BIG kitchen and common area. The day attendant Maja makes everyone feel at home. Solid wifi and a free common computer. Free lockers with key. Supermarket nearby. About 15 minute walk from train station. Easy walk to museums & tourist district. I booked for one night, stayed for two.

Hostel Print

Ljubljana, Slovenia

A lovely place! Clean and new. Some distance from the city center (took me 1/2 hour to walk from the train station), but they offer a free shuttle. No wifi; instead, much faster plug-in ethernet. (I was skeptical, but it worked better than wifi.) Consider the private room for only a little more. Not a party hostel (or a party city for that matter). Bike rental for €5/day. Free substantial breakfast you order the night before. Low-cost vending machine. Full guest kitchen. Supermarket nearby.

PLUS Alba D'Oro Camping

Venice, Italy

I was comfortable here. About 30 min. from Venice by city bus (€1.10) or their own hourly shuttle (€2). A big campground, consisting mainly of portable bungalows. My 3-person dorm was a tiny room with attached toilet/shower and A/C. Security seems good, including a locking door and night patrols. Young crowd, w a party every night. Free WiFi, only near office. Near airport but not walkable (4 min bus). See my photos http://bit.ly/96b4w1 and FOAM PARTY video http://youtu.be/MoBtaQ6h-AQ

Zorbas Hotel

Athens, Greece

Did just what I wanted it to: gave me a comfortable place to stay before my flight the next day. I saw only my room. Just a few steps from the Metro (but pay attention to directions). Fast, reliable wifi (at least in my room near reception). Free blanket and linen, but no top sheet. I'd stay here again for cheap, reliable lodging (but not to meet other travelers).

Santorini Hostel Kykladonisia

Santorini, Greece

The most stunningly beautiful place I have ever stayed - both the island and the hostel! I felt like No. 6 in The Prisoner (in a good way). The tiny pool is a trip! Many terraces and passageways to explore. My only beef: The directions were WRONG, sending me south from the bus station instead of north. (Also: be sure to bear RIGHT at a fork. When you pass Hertz, you're on track.) Once you find it, though, this hostel is a surreal dream in an excellent location. My photos: http://bit.ly/cmY9LB

Athens Backpackers

Athens, Greece

I felt I got the bait-and-switch. The place I stayed was comfortable, but it wasn't the place I reserved. Upon check in, I was told I was staying at the hostel's sister property several blocks away, Athens Studios. The dorm room was superior, but there were no common areas to speak of. I missed the community I expected at Athens Backpackers. I don't think the good ratings of one hostel should be used to fill another. When I pay more to stay at a certain hostel, that's where I expect to stay.

Two Ducks Hostel

Rome, Italy

This is a couple of separate top-floor apartments converted into a "hostel". Cramped, with little character, but if you just need a place to stay, it works. Excellent location about 3 blocks from the Termini station. Good wifi (free) but limited power sockets, so bring a branching device.

PLUS Florence

Florence, Italy

One of the must luxurious hostels I've ever stayed at, with amenities you wouldn't believe, like a pool and sauna in the basement and a stunning rooftop bar. (Spectacular view!) The €5 breakfast is awesome. There are negatives, however, including slow wifi and an early 10am checkout time (after which your key stops working). WARNING: This is a BIG hostel (7+ floors) with a huge potential crush at check in and check out (if you happen to hit the desk when everyone else does).

Hostel Amigo

Mexico City, Mexico

I felt very comfortable here. Clean, safe and good location. Free breakfast and dinner. Good tours. Minuses: No guest kitchen. Wifi was flaky but usable. Ceiling fans but no A/C. Most rooms have no windows or worse: big windows that don't open. Temp was fine in early May but I would avoid here in summer.

I have never spent a night in prison, but the men's dorm here gave me a feeling for it. Not a hostel but a flophouse for semi-literate, semi-sober local men. No stalls around toilets (i.e. no privacy anywhere except showers). Wifi exists, but staff didn't know security code. Reserved an 8-bed dorm but got a basement 12-bed dorm (the only one they had). Positives: central location, clean. Can't speak for the privates, but the dorm is inappropriate for tourists.

Living Cat's Hostel

Madrid, Spain

It does the job. No kitchen. The one-temperature showers take a lot of creativity (but warm enough). Hard-to-use door locks. Good Wifi. Top bedding not changed. Would come back again based only on price.

Lagan Backpackers

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! A warm haven in rainy Belfast. The proprietor works hard to make everything right. Fast, free wifi! Super location! Only neg: probably not enough toilets when fully booked.

One of the nicest hostels I've ever stayed at -- and in America no less! Bright, clean, airy! In the heart of the South Beach tourist district, across the street from the beach. Only one negative: Wifi didn't work in my room. An incredible bargain overall!

New York Hostel 99

New York, USA

There are things you can quibble with (crowded dorms, inadequate showers) but this is a safe clean place to stay at a remarkable price. http://bit.ly/CqsM3

Home Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

A well-run hostel owned by a former backpacker. My full review: http://bit.ly/L00hX

Has its quirks, but I was very comfortable here. Came for 2 days, stayed for 4. Neighborhood is seedy JUST LIKE THE REST OF ATHENS. Great WiFi!

Backpackers on Dundas

Toronto, Canada

A tiny little shoebox hostel in a converted 2nd office suite downtown, but it performs the function. I enjoyed working on my laptop in my bunk with the free WiFi.

Good for the price. Hard to find, so pay attention to the directions.

La Posada de Huertas

Madrid, Spain

A good, convenient choice in a central location. For the price, I would stay there again. One annoyance: Wifi is limited to the lobby and was very temperamental when I was there. Probably not be the best hostel to meet people, but the essential lodging purpose was fulfilled. Expect to pay a 15 euro sheet/key deposit at check-in.

Equity Point Gothic

Barcelona, Spain

An excellent value for the neighborhood, but a few problems: (1) Although only steps from the metro, it's virtually impossible to find without address in hand, as about 10 roads converge here and the hostel is hidden. (2) The tiny kitchen is inadequate for the number of guests. (3) Free internet only at 3 terminals (no wifi), which you may have to wait for. Otherwise, it's an interesting place in the heart of the tourist district. Big common area and an even bigger rooftop terrace.

Alberguinn Youth Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Far from the tourist district, but a good choice if you are coming and going from the Sants station. Free wifi in lobby and free soap in the showers. Only pet peeve: No power outlet in my room.