Reviews: barefoot_sandwell

Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 38

The Philadelphia House

Philadelphia, USA

Very easy location to find, friendly and welcoming staff, clean and bright hostel, definitely a pleasure in a world of motels and overly-fake customer service. Interesting walking tour provided (sorry we had to dip out halfway through), and good social scene. Oh, *and* we fixed the squeaky door :)

The Only Backpacker's Inn

Toronto, Canada

You can see a metro stop from the balcony, and it's above a cafe that also sells real ale/microbeers. What else do you need?! Huge kitchen space, nice social areas, comfortable dorms ... it's quite a way out from the city centre but it's quick and easy to get to by subway, plus the area it's in is good for food, drink, and local amenities.

ACBB Hostel Niagara

Niagara Falls, Canada

Two blocks from Clifton Hill but feels like two realities away, down a quiet street with uber-buzzy, excellent, and possibly quite mad staff, who are happy to advise what to see (and what not to see in this cheesy pseudo-seaside resort). Dorm pretty spacious, bathrooms clean and functional, very good atmosphere. Don't do a day trip to the falls from Toronto, stay here and see the area properly!

Barefoot Hostel

Ottawa, Canada

Very lovely, quirky, interesting hostel on the edge of the city centre, very comfortable & spacious, walkable to the main attractions, and nice touches like individual lights and shelves (so useful when you wear glasses!) in the dorm beds. Staff at Swiss Hotel were fabulous and friendly. My only gripe is when I went, lots of other guests were at a convention in the city so the hostel itself had virtually no people in it in the evenings so not much atmosphere (not the hostel's fault, obviously!).

La Maison du Patriote

Montreal, Canada

I only briefly stopped here, arriving late and leaving early the next day, but brief impressions were of a quirky, lively hostel in a really good location for the old part of town. Felt comfortable and friendly, would stay here longer next time I'm in Montreal. Only minor gripe: kitchen felt a little small, but that's no real big issue.

Hayarkon 48 Hostel

Tel Aviv, Israel

It's bright yellow, so very hard to miss! It's a very short barefoot stroll to the beachfront, and convenient for buses to the central bus station. No real social area (the back room and the roof terrace are quite small), but the dorms are comfortable and clean. One minor bad point - no bedside powerpoints that I noticed. Functional without being spectacular (but I get the impression that's quite good for Tel Aviv!) - would stay here again if I came back to Israel.

Bethlehem Youth Hostel

Bethlehem, Israel

The hostel itself is really good; just that when I was there it was very quiet (had a 6-bed dorm to myself), so hard to judge atmosphere etc. Very friendly and helpful staff, and the hostel itself does good deeds for the local community. Didn't see a lock anywhere, but didn't feel security was an issue because it was so quiet. No bedside powerpoints either, but again, not a problem for me in my visit. Short walk from Manger Square, down a quiet street, so pretty central too :)

Abraham Hostel Jerusalem

Jerusalem, Israel

I'm only recently started with hostelling, and this place is the largest hostel I've ever stayed in! The social area on the 1st floor is huuuuuge, and easy to meet people - plus there's always something going on. It's located a fair walk from the old city and the bus station but is right next to a tram stop. Definitely the place to go if you're feeling sociable :)

Saba'a Hotel

Petra, Jordan

Centrally located in Wadi Musa (a town consisting mainly of cafes, hairdressers, and hotels). Very friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable beds. Only downside is no real social area apart from the roof (and sort-of reception), but a) it's more a hotel than a hostel anyway, and b) you're so knackered after walking Petra that who needs socialising! :p

Cliff Hotel

Amman, Jordan

Down a souk in central Amman, on the top floor of a building (the floor below seemed to be some kind of men's canteen), so centrally located if hard to find. Nice reception/lounge area. It was £7 for a single private room; I wasn't expecting a great deal, and my expectations were well met - as a stopover it served my needs perfectly.

Fauzi Azar Inn

Nazareth, Israel

Takes a bit of trekking through the Old City to find (this is no bad thing) but definitely worth the effort to seek out. Large decent kitchen (acts as a social area), friendly staff, picturesque inside (up and down), close to the restaurant with the best hummus I found all trip (!), spacious dorms (not bunks) ... just go there! :)

Gordon Inn

Tel Aviv, Israel

Only used it as a stopover (late flight arrival, early departure next morning). Great lady on reception who joked and smiled, dorm room nice enough, bathroom ok but needed a little renovation, dorm door kept sticking (kept waking up the poor lass on the other side!), good enough location, had issues with wi-fi, decent enough breakfast!

Dear Guest, We appreciate the time you took to review our hostel. Since you were last here we have hired a new maintenance crew to make the necessary needed changes to our building. We also have fixed the wifi so it is now available on every floor, including the roof. Thanks again for writing a review and for staying with us! Sincerely, Gordon Inn

Hostel Magaza

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

I can't really comment on atmosphere as I stayed 2 nights in a 4-bed doorm ... on my own! (out-of-season, obviously!). The staff were more than excellent (I forget his name, alas, but he was kind enough to taxi me to the airport at 5.30am for less than the taxis would have, and very friendly to boot). Tricky to find because Sarajevo doesn't *do* street name signs, but very very close to the Old Town - surroundings very noisy at night, but excellent location for food and drink! Small but cool!

Sax Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Quirky! Small (so not a place for party animals!) and comfortable, quiet neighbourhood, excellent bar with a nice mix of backpackers and locals. Nice Jazz theme (even down to the vinyl records on the toilet wall!). Friendly staff, excellent bathroom. At the opposite end of the city to the bus/train stations but it's a very safe and pretty walk, even at night.

Clink78

Needed somewhere cheap and close to St Pancras for an early morning train - this fitted the bill perfectly! Lively, atmospheric, interesting - the only downside (partly because it was so full and partly because it was summertime I guess) was that the dorm was too warm (no aircon or fresh air flowing), so felt a bit stuffy.