Guesthouse Caminoro

Osaka, Japan

My friend and I stayed in the Modern Japanese room for 3 nights while we visited USJ. The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff was very nice and informative- they kept us up-to-date on news about the typhoon and closures that occurred while we were there. We never had to wait for the showers. Great stay!

• 12th Oct 2014

Bouken Kazoku

Hokkaido Niseko, Japan

I did not have a good experience here. They wouldn't pick me up, the lady owner didn't say hello or even look at me, the temp who checked me in wasn't trained, gave me no info on activities, I was put in a single that felt like a foreigners' quarantine, enhanced when I was ushered into a rarely-used kitchen (judging from the dust, mold, spiders, lack of materials) to eat. I felt so awful that I cancelled my second night (but was charged for it). The male owner was nice later, but I wanted to go.

As mentioned by others, it's quite a walk here. But this place is cool- a combination of manga-lovers paradise and hoarder's dwelling. It's clean, just full of books and memorabilia. It would be easy to spend a rainy day just chilling out here. The cat and dog are well-behaved. The owner is very friendly, the kitchen well-stocked with implements, the bathrooms clean, and beds comfortable. Free watermelon at breakfast. Good stay!

Time Peace Apartment

Sapporo, Japan

I had a really good stay here. I ended up calling twice to book extra days, and it was no problem. I think the male dorms are busier, maybe. The owner is nice and makes very good coffee in the morning. There are only two showers, but I only had to wait once, so it works. I'd try to avoid the upper bunks in the dorm- all the beds are comfortable, but there's no way to block out the light up there when other people come in. Overall, great place!

Sounkyo Youth Hostel

Hokkaido Sounkyo, Japan

This place had big, comfortable dorms with curtains and your own cubby hole to store things or hang things in. The staff was very helpful and the bathrooms clean. It's a heck of an uphill trek to get there, but that's the mountains for you. For being a youth hostel, aside from a few other foreigners, the guests seem to be mostly elderly people there for the onsen, though. Good stay, overall.

This place is pretty amazing for a hostel. Gorgeous building, lots of common space, lovely onsen. Just don't leave the window open at night like my roommate did- lots of mosquitos on the water. Not too difficult to find or far from the shopping streets.

Thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to receive wonderful review. We are glad to read you enjoyed your stay in our hostel and our hospitality. We are sorry that you found lots of mosquitoes coming from the river - as we are located next to the stream we find difficulties to avoid them coming into rooms... Hope to see you back soon at K's House ! Masao

Kamakura Guesthouse

Kamakura, Japan

The staff here is awesome! The ladies cooked every night and were happy to share anything I expressed curiosity about- yum! The location is out of the way and a bit hard to find; when you get off the bus from Kamakura station, cross the main road and go up the street next to the car dealership, turn left just after the canal, and it's past the park on the right. Overall, it was a great place to stay! Thank you!

I stayed in the 4 bed female dorm. The mattress was comfortable, the common room large, the shower was available whenever I wanted to use it, everything was clean. The bar downstairs was convenient. The only downside is that it's a bit of a walk from Kyoto station.

Marks Inn Sapporo

Sapporo, Japan

I stayed here for the Yuki Matsuri and was pleasantly surprised to find the Susukino site only a couple blocks away. Careful when booking about the smoking options, if you have a choice. The hotel room was warm, clean, and comfortable, the breakfast generous for the price. The towels are rough, though, so bring your own.

I have to say, I was only here to sleep and I chose the hostel because it's so close to Teramachi, the huge shopping area. But the bed was comfortable and there are plenty of showers and sinks around. My first night was great, the second I had rude neighbors who left thier reading lights on all night. Not the hostel's fault. Bit of advice: if you leave your stuff in the luggage room the morning you leave, don't put it at the back, or you'll have to unbury it when you leave later. o_O

I had a good stay here. I was rather surprised when most of the guests were up as early as I was- 6:30. Real travelers! The beds were comfortable and my bed had a storage area above it, which was useful. The staff are friendly, the garden is pretty. My only real complaint about the place is that it's really dark. So if you need good light to apply make-up or whatever, it's not easy to do. Heh.

K's House Mt.Fuji

Mount Fuji, Japan

I liked this hostel- big kitchen, lots of common space to talk to people in, quiet rooms. I needed to stay an extra night and it was no problem. The staff was very nice and helpful. The wi-fi only works sporadically, no matter where you are in the building, but that's not unusual. It's great that you can call for a pick-up at the station and get a ride back, too.

Retrometro Backpackers

Tokyo, Japan

I stayed for 6 nights and it was a pretty good time. The hostel is a bit of a walk from the station, but it's right on Kappabashi-dori, which is fun. The lay out is a little weird- the common room is the reception and you come out of the shower into the kitchen, which is a little awkward. I never had to wait for the shower, though, so it's nice that it's that small. The staff was very nice and helpful, the internet reliable, everything clean. Good place.

OKI's Inn

Kyoto, Japan

Great place! Taka and Yuka are _so_ nice! Very convenient to the subway, or a nice walk from downtown. I stayed in the dorm and it was clean and quiet, despite the paper walls. There are a lot of Japanese guests, so I got to try out my fledgeling Japanese skills ^_^' . The kitties are pretty but very shy. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone staying in Kyoto and I hope to stay there again!

Guest House ODORI

Osaka, Japan

This place is great if you want to stay at a quiet, traditional place. Gorgeous house and very friendly staff. If I'm only staying one night again, though, I think I'll stay somewhere a little more centrally located- I felt like I spent a lot of my limited time waiting for trains to and from the guest house, and added to the limited hours for check-in, I felt rushed. Still, if you're staying more than one night, this is an excellent guest house.

HI-Toronto

Toronto, Canada

The staff is very helpful, the dorm I stayed in (6-bed all F dorm) was peaceful, which is what I wanted. The bathrooms could use a bleaching- the showers are a bit moldy.