Kyoto Hana Hostel

Kyoto, Japan

This place was great- very easy to get to and convenient to the station. It was great that there was space in the upper bunk for an open suitcase. The staff was very friendly. There were a couple of elderly guests wandering around, muttering to themselves, which I found quite odd, but I guess this isn't a youth hostel. Still, nice place!

Thank you very much fo0r staying with us this time:) Spacious dorm beds are our favorite as well:) Okini!

Drop Inn Osaka

Osaka, Japan

I've never found a hostel so easily from a station and the place is quite spacious. However, the ventilation needs work- with so many people staying in one room, it got hot and humid even with the window open. The shower room had piles of hair all over the floor both mornings, too. Still, it's a good place to stay and get around conveniently.

Guest House Roku

Hiroshima, Japan

Everyone else has given this place its due praise, so I'll be helpful instead. When you get off the train at Shin-Hakushima coming from Hiroshima, there's one exit and it's not the north one. You need to go down the stairs and under the tracks to the other side of the station. Turn right at the _first_ corner, at the sports equipment shop. The hostel is a block before the next major road, quite a ways down.

Kamp

Okayama, Japan

This hostel is new, I think, and a bit stark still, but it's clean and comfortable. A bit difficult to find. It's the left past the _second_ Kimuraya bakery quite a ways down the covered shopping arcade.

Yume Nomad

Kobe, Japan

I woke up after about an hour the first night thinking `oh my god, an earthquake' and then woke up completely to realize the girl in the bed below me had just rolled over in her sleep. Heh. Aside from slightly rickety bunks, this place was great- clean and comfortable with friendly people. The lady in the udon shop on the corner is always happy to point out the right direction for uncertain backpackers, too :-). Also, the sushi restaurant in the arcade has amazingly generous sashimi slices.

Hotel Mikado

Osaka, Japan

I thought the place was fine. As others have said, it's a bit of an uncomfortable experience to have a man start using urinal next to the sink you're brushing your teeth at, but I get the feeling the building was originally men only. The hallway reeked, but the bedroom was fine and clean. Close to the station- go into the covered arcade next to that brick coffee shop outside Exit 2 and take the first right. It's on that street on the right side.

I didn't really hang out much here, but it was a good stay. The dining room is large, the kitchen convenient, everything seemed clean. I'm not sure why there weren't curtains for the beds, as the rods were in place. The staff was nice. Keep in mind that there are several Asakusa stations; the subway is a bit of a walk, though there's a tourist information center near the exit (across from the Kaminarimon gate) if you get lost.

This place was great- comfortable beds with lots of shelf space and a very nice common area. It's definitely easy to find, with the way it's painted! The staff was helpful and the building modern. The second floor does seem to be suffering from a bug problem, though- tiny ants in the bathroom and bedroom. Not enough to worry me, though. Overall, it was a really good stay.

Dear friend, thanks for the comment! And we are glad that you had a good stay here. For the ant problem, because there is a garden behind our house, to avoid pest we note our guests not to bring the food to the room, or leave food waste in the bathroom bin. We made the ant killer and periodic spraying in the bathroom, and the probelm has been improve now. We appreciate your feedback on Hostelworld, hope can see you again! :)

Bike Tainan Hostel

Tainan, Taiwan

This place is a distance from the main sights, but it's worth it. Kate is awesome and full of advice for your trip. She likes to feed people, too ^_^. The common room is a place to chat with other travelers. Everything is quite clean and the building is full of character, even if it's a bit old. I didn't have a lot to do for my whole trip, and no one had a problem with my lazing in bed reading half the day; it was nice! Thanks for a good stay in Tainan!

This place was clean and comfortable. I was glad to be able to clean my clothes after a week of travel. The staff is helpful and the common room is nice, with a good view. The place is a bit hard to find- walk on the inside sidewalk to see the purple sign. This is a good place if you're arriving late- we had roommates checking in at 12am and 2am, though it's not so great if you're already asleep. Ninxia Night Market is close, too, with delicious food.

It's a walk here from the station, and a much longer walk downtown, but if you're just going to Taroko, it's fine. The dorm was spacious and clean, there's a good kitchen, and the staff is great about giving advice on the transportation system in the national park. The second floor sink could have used a towel to soak up water- my jeans got soaked everytime I accidently leaned forward enough to touch my legs to the counter. Overall, this was a nice place!

Sweet Home Hostel Taipei

Taipei, Taiwan

This place was very nice, in a busy part of town but reasonably quiet. The staff was very nice- their sons are quite amusing. It was easy to find and I like the privacy of the curtained-off beds. It was a bit chilly in December, though, so I was glad I had my trench coat to put over the blanket. The nearby sandwich restaurant was good and convenient, too.

Guesthouse Caminoro

Osaka, Japan

My friend and I stayed in the Modern Japanese room for 3 nights while we visited USJ. The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff was very nice and informative- they kept us up-to-date on news about the typhoon and closures that occurred while we were there. We never had to wait for the showers. Great stay!

• 12th Oct 2014
  • Globetrotter

Bouken Kazoku

Hokkaido Niseko, Japan

I did not have a good experience here. They wouldn't pick me up, the lady owner didn't say hello or even look at me, the temp who checked me in wasn't trained, gave me no info on activities, I was put in a single that felt like a foreigners' quarantine, enhanced when I was ushered into a rarely-used kitchen (judging from the dust, mold, spiders, lack of materials) to eat. I felt so awful that I cancelled my second night (but was charged for it). The male owner was nice later, but I wanted to go.

As mentioned by others, it's quite a walk here. But this place is cool- a combination of manga-lovers paradise and hoarder's dwelling. It's clean, just full of books and memorabilia. It would be easy to spend a rainy day just chilling out here. The cat and dog are well-behaved. The owner is very friendly, the kitchen well-stocked with implements, the bathrooms clean, and beds comfortable. Free watermelon at breakfast. Good stay!

Time Peace Apartment

Sapporo, Japan

I had a really good stay here. I ended up calling twice to book extra days, and it was no problem. I think the male dorms are busier, maybe. The owner is nice and makes very good coffee in the morning. There are only two showers, but I only had to wait once, so it works. I'd try to avoid the upper bunks in the dorm- all the beds are comfortable, but there's no way to block out the light up there when other people come in. Overall, great place!

Sounkyo Youth Hostel

Hokkaido Sounkyo, Japan

This place had big, comfortable dorms with curtains and your own cubby hole to store things or hang things in. The staff was very helpful and the bathrooms clean. It's a heck of an uphill trek to get there, but that's the mountains for you. For being a youth hostel, aside from a few other foreigners, the guests seem to be mostly elderly people there for the onsen, though. Good stay, overall.

This place is pretty amazing for a hostel. Gorgeous building, lots of common space, lovely onsen. Just don't leave the window open at night like my roommate did- lots of mosquitos on the water. Not too difficult to find or far from the shopping streets.

Thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to receive wonderful review. We are glad to read you enjoyed your stay in our hostel and our hospitality. We are sorry that you found lots of mosquitoes coming from the river - as we are located next to the stream we find difficulties to avoid them coming into rooms... Hope to see you back soon at K's House ! Masao

Kamakura Guesthouse

Kamakura, Japan

The staff here is awesome! The ladies cooked every night and were happy to share anything I expressed curiosity about- yum! The location is out of the way and a bit hard to find; when you get off the bus from Kamakura station, cross the main road and go up the street next to the car dealership, turn left just after the canal, and it's past the park on the right. Overall, it was a great place to stay! Thank you!

Thank you for your stay at Kamakura guesthouse. We are very happy that you are satisfied with our guesthouse and hope to see you again on your next visit to Japan. Please come again! We appreciate your posting.

I stayed in the 4 bed female dorm. The mattress was comfortable, the common room large, the shower was available whenever I wanted to use it, everything was clean. The bar downstairs was convenient. The only downside is that it's a bit of a walk from Kyoto station.

Marks Inn Sapporo

Sapporo, Japan

I stayed here for the Yuki Matsuri and was pleasantly surprised to find the Susukino site only a couple blocks away. Careful when booking about the smoking options, if you have a choice. The hotel room was warm, clean, and comfortable, the breakfast generous for the price. The towels are rough, though, so bring your own.

I have to say, I was only here to sleep and I chose the hostel because it's so close to Teramachi, the huge shopping area. But the bed was comfortable and there are plenty of showers and sinks around. My first night was great, the second I had rude neighbors who left thier reading lights on all night. Not the hostel's fault. Bit of advice: if you leave your stuff in the luggage room the morning you leave, don't put it at the back, or you'll have to unbury it when you leave later. o_O

I had a good stay here. I was rather surprised when most of the guests were up as early as I was- 6:30. Real travelers! The beds were comfortable and my bed had a storage area above it, which was useful. The staff are friendly, the garden is pretty. My only real complaint about the place is that it's really dark. So if you need good light to apply make-up or whatever, it's not easy to do. Heh.

K's House Mt.Fuji

Mount Fuji, Japan

I liked this hostel- big kitchen, lots of common space to talk to people in, quiet rooms. I needed to stay an extra night and it was no problem. The staff was very nice and helpful. The wi-fi only works sporadically, no matter where you are in the building, but that's not unusual. It's great that you can call for a pick-up at the station and get a ride back, too.

Retrometro Backpackers

Tokyo, Japan

I stayed for 6 nights and it was a pretty good time. The hostel is a bit of a walk from the station, but it's right on Kappabashi-dori, which is fun. The lay out is a little weird- the common room is the reception and you come out of the shower into the kitchen, which is a little awkward. I never had to wait for the shower, though, so it's nice that it's that small. The staff was very nice and helpful, the internet reliable, everything clean. Good place.

OKI's Inn

Kyoto, Japan

Great place! Taka and Yuka are _so_ nice! Very convenient to the subway, or a nice walk from downtown. I stayed in the dorm and it was clean and quiet, despite the paper walls. There are a lot of Japanese guests, so I got to try out my fledgeling Japanese skills ^_^' . The kitties are pretty but very shy. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone staying in Kyoto and I hope to stay there again!

Guest House ODORI

Osaka, Japan

This place is great if you want to stay at a quiet, traditional place. Gorgeous house and very friendly staff. If I'm only staying one night again, though, I think I'll stay somewhere a little more centrally located- I felt like I spent a lot of my limited time waiting for trains to and from the guest house, and added to the limited hours for check-in, I felt rushed. Still, if you're staying more than one night, this is an excellent guest house.

HI-Toronto

Toronto, Canada

The staff is very helpful, the dorm I stayed in (6-bed all F dorm) was peaceful, which is what I wanted. The bathrooms could use a bleaching- the showers are a bit moldy.