Downtown Backpackers

Wellington, New Zealand

The hostel is in what used to be Hotel Waterloo so it does have quite a bit of character having retained the style. It was a perfect location for me because it is right across from the railway station but also close to the parlement building. I loved the big kitchen, which could be better organized in terms of cooking utensils; but lots of room to work and a great walki-in fridge. Great dining room where you can opt to order meals from the cafe. I do recommend this hostel.

Great location! Good security measures! Bright rooms. The internet was free on the hostel computers; 2 of the five did not seem to be working but I had no problem being able to use one of the 3 when I needed one. There was a little problem with small ants in the kitchen and they should probably buy new sheets.

YHA Whangarei

Whangarei, New Zealand

It is a nice small hostel with very pleasant staff. Very quiet and good for my stay. But it is a very steep walk from the other side of the river from the center of town. It's not so bad to go down with luggage but the climb up is very difficult.

Crash Palace

Rotorua, New Zealand

The staff is efficient but not overly friendly. There are two kitchens, one on the ground floor and one on the second floor so there is room to put the food in a fridge. The inside tables in the ground floor kitchen are very wobbly so you almost have to eat at the outside which is great if it's not too cold. The 8-bed dorm was fine but it is too bad that the bedroom doors click when closed from the outside. The hostel is close to a grocery store and is a very nice walk to the waterfront.

thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. we have tightened up the tables down stairs and they are proving to be sound we didn't realize they were so bad cheers for highlighting this for us. i am not sure about the doors i will investigate this further? thanks we appreciate the feedback it is how we become better at what we do. safe travels

Rainbow Lodge Backpackers

Taupo, New Zealand

The hostel is a few minutes walk from the bus station and the lake. I was in a 4-bed dorm with ensuite and it was just right except if it rains because you need to walk outside in the rain to get to the kitchen and lounge area and to the tv and computer area. They offered to come and get me at the bus station when I emailed them. It was good for one night.

we're glad you enjoyed your stay Matt

YHA Wellington City

Wellington, New Zealand

Great location. Our twin bedroom was small but good. Very helpful staff. It is unfortunate that the door lock makes a noise every time you close the door no matter how quiet you try to be.

The Villa Backpackers Lodge

Picton, New Zealand

It is a very charming hostel in the city centre. We had a twin room which was great. Highly recommend this hostel.

Around The World Backpackers

Christchurch, New Zealand

This was my second stay there and as always I was very satisfied.

Thanks again Sylvie. Your rating and review of our hostel is appreciated. All the best with your travels...Geri & Lee

Duke Hostel

Greymouth, New Zealand

I was pleasantly surprised with this hostel. It is a great location and Dory is very nice. He really cares about making your stay there as comfortable as possible.

Montrose Backpackers

Franz Josef, New Zealand

Very good value! It is a 2-3 minute walk to everything! Great view for the glacier! Staff very helpful and pleasant! I would definitely stay there again!

Adventure Queenstown Hostel

Queenstown, New Zealand

It is a great hostel and I highly recommend it. There are so many extras that you don't get in any other hostel: lockers with plugs inside to lock up electronics while charging, plugs for each bunk for charging as well as reading lights, unlimited wifi, a/c in each room, and I could go on. The location is phenomenal! Bret is very passionate about making sure that we are very well served!

YHA Te Anau

Te Anau, New Zealand

Great location being one block from the lake front. It was a good choice and would stay there again. It is unfortunate that YHA hostels use Global Gossip which expires 24 hours after you log in; so if you you don't use the internet while you sleep, eat or if you leave the hostel, you end up paying for a lot less then 24 hours which makes the internet expensive. A bit disappointing.

Manor House Backpackers

Dunedin, New Zealand

I didn't experience what others did and it wasn't a "Stay in style as the description states. The kitchen was very dirty and never seemed to be clean, morning or night, which is when I used it. Most people didn't clean anything up. I stayed for 2 nights and the "free" wifi didn't work so the free part was at the library until later on my 2nd day; was told it had worked only twice in 5 days. The furniture is old and very tired. My bed was comfy and Domingo is very helpful and friendly.

Around The World Backpackers

Christchurch, New Zealand

Very welcoming staff! Close to the city centre and to the Intercity bus station. Good clean facilities. Security measures are in place but depends on fellow travellers to enforce. Very clean except when mess left in kitchen by other travellers. I would stay there again and am going back at the beginning of March.

Hello Sylvie We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hostel. Yes, the kitchen! It is the bane of our lives. Without trying to police everyone, we are hoping that people take notice of the signage in the kitchen and helping out with keeping the kitchen tidy for everyone. Unfortunately, there are some people who don't really care - which is a shame as they only add to the discomfort of others. We look forward to seeing you again soon. All the best Geri & Lee

Jailhouse Accommodation

Christchurch, New Zealand

Very welcoming reception. Very efficiently managed and well organized. Lots of room in my 10 bed dorm which has an ensuite toilet (although with no hot water). The hostel succeeds at making it a quiet atmosphere after 9 pm. It is a bit of a walk to the city centre and to the train station but there is a city bus stop almost at the door. Any mess, especially in the kitchen, is caused by the travellers. I would definitely go back and have tried but it fills up,very quickly.

The Lazy Shag

Kaikoura, New Zealand

The woman at the reception desk who seems to coordinate things is very friendly and very helpful. The hostel is only a few minutes walk to the centre of town and to the train station. No problem at all with the cleanliness part for which the staff is responsible. The security depends on the people using the facilities, whether they lock the doors to the bedrooms or not. I felt very safe and had no problems. Having an ensuite is great and I liked that the toilet and shower are separated.