La Maison du Patriote

Montreal, Canada

This is honestly one of the worst hostels I've ever stayed in; I ended up booking somewhere else for the final 3 nights of my stay. There are only 2 showers and 2 toilets, which were apparently cleaned daily but I saw no evidence. There were constantly dead wasps in the showers so I guess they had a nest which they'd not tackled. The worst aspect was that there are definitely mice in the eaves & girls' dorm; a paper cup I left at the side of my bed one night had a hole nibbled in it by morning!

• 9th Sep 2013

The Clarence Park

Toronto, Canada

The location is excellent, I didn't need to use public transport at all while I was in Toronto. The kitchen is fairly well equipped although it could do with a couple more pans. The beds all have curtains round them, sockets and reading lamps which is a nice touch but there are no lockers in the rooms. The en suite bathroom in my room didn't seem to have a good enough fan so it was quite damp at all times meaning it and the bedroom smelt horribly musty; better ventilation would easily sort this.

• 30th Aug 2013

Castle Rock Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

Nice hostel, lots of character & very good location. Near Grassmarket so fairly noisy during the night but I think that's to be expected of any city centre location. Stayed in private room so unsure of security in dorms. Luggage room wasn't locked but you need a pass to get beyond the reception. Also didn't use facilities beyond bathrooms, which were reasonably clean. Kitchen looked quite small from what I saw of it, but we didn't try to use it so not sure if it was well equipped or not.

• 20th Apr 2013