Reviews: cianmoloney054460

Location: Ireland, Gender: Male, Age: 26

Silverfern Backpackers

Auckland, New Zealand

We arrived in the rain and my only pair of shoes were soaked through, only to find that the hostel had given our beds away.. a solid 0/5 recommendation there. The receptionist was also pretty unhelpful and her english wasn't great.

• 14th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

In future you should book further in advance when a major rugby game is playing in Auckland, sorry you couldn't stay with us. Next time arrive on time.

This place is outside the city by a 20 minute walk but the hostel offers a free hourly shuttle. It’s got a good vibe and is relatively cheap ($17) and also offers decent meal deals and free breakfast (well.. toast). It’s quite a social place, having some event or competition on every night which earns it a 3/5! They also feature the biggest cat I’ve seen in my life, a solid half meter long and the width to boot!

• 12th Jun 2013

Sayang Maha Mertha Hotel

Kuta, Indonesia

This gets a 2.5/5. It’s got pretty standard fan rooms but a pool which is a big plus. It’s a 10 minute walk to the center of town which was a tad annoying, and included a basic breakfast.

• 17th May 2013

Footprints Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

This gets a 4/5. A well run hostel with free breakfast and good beds and basics. It’s in a nice location in Little India an offers a whole bunch of discounts on stuff! Spent a few nights getting drunk with the guests and staff all who would happily share out their booze! Good place to get recommendations on stuff to do in the city.

• 8th May 2013

Threehouse Bed and Breakfast

Kuching, Malaysia

This place gets a solid 4/5. It’s run by a Swede named Bindi who makes you feel absolutely at home from the second you arrive. The small hostel makes excellent use of space; it’s packs in a kitchen (this is a massive bonus, being a rare occurrence in S.E Asia), common room and open air terrace. It’s also got wall to wall character, quirkiness, and usefulness (for example, theres a box of left over shoes which you can grab for free, in case you had planned on a hike). Bindi and Steven also employ

• 5th May 2013

Borneo Gaya Lodge

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

This is a nice small hostel with good character. It was pretty quiet when I was there, but the staff are incredibly good humoured. It’s also a tad dry on facilities, but it’s cheap, has a free breakfast, and is as central as you can get for the city. 3/5!

• 2nd May 2013

Reggae Mansion Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

What can I say about this place.. out of the hundred (+) hostels I’ve stayed in, this is absolutely head over heels the best and gets 5/5. Free (good) breakfast, big lockers, double beds in the dorms with a curtain for privacy. Rooftop bar with a great view. Free bed for the bathroom, a lot of security… really, I could go on. The one black mark that I have against it is the bar; the spirits that they have are greatly watered down to an embarrassing level.

• 17th Apr 2013

Pak-Up Hostel

Krabi, Thailand

This gets 4.5/5. Great rooms, lockers, free stuff in the bathrooms, good prices on local transport.. AND a bar on the top floor. Great location too, right in the city centre! Be careful of you use Google maps, as the address comes up in the wrong place. A local had corrected me and offered me a taxi, saying “Nono wrong way.. I know, I live here!”. But I had brushed him off, saying that I had a map and didn’t need help. You can imagine the look on his face when I

• 16th Apr 2013

Kool Backpacker Hostel

Phuket, Thailand

I'm staying in Kool Backpacker Hostel. This is a solid hostel, run by some really nice folk who give excellent advice on the local area. We spent a LOT of time in this hostel just watching movies. They've got a big ass screen with surround sound, and you can buy literally any movie around the corner for about $3 USD. I think in the whole time I had seen maybe 15 movies (probably more, realistically)? Great dorms and facilities! Excellent atmosphere!

• 6th Apr 2013

Moonstone Hostel

Koh Phangan, Thailand

I'm staying in the Moonstone Hostel, an it gets a 1.5/5. It's location is great, a few minutes from Haad Rin beach and I loved that the hostel supplied shampoo and soap. Everything else was pretty bad; air-con was out of commission so the place was permanently sweltering (they gave us a free bucket each to say sorry). It was too expensive also, the place smelled and the decor was, in a word, interesting...

• 25th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for your opinion. This makes 2 years since we opened and this is the first time we had a power conditioning. We have done our utmost to repair the broken part but unfortunately that was available the next day. I'm really sorry for the night without air conditioning. We ordered a second air for a dorm no longer have the same problem. At smells, I agree with you when it's hot and the air conditioning is broken we want to open the windows. It's been 2 years we are in the best hostels in Haad Rin on hostelworld.com and we are always strict with our customers.

CheQinn

Bangkok, Thailand

It gets a 1.5/5. It's location is great, a few minutes from Haad Rin beach and I loved that the hostel supplied shampoo and soap. Everything else was pretty bad; air-con was out of commission so the place was permanently sweltering (they gave us a free bucket each to say sorry). It was too expensive also, the place smelled and the decor was, in a word, interesting... On the bright side, Marius is here for the party too and he brought a new friend; a german called Simon. The hostel also had some

• 20th Mar 2013

Khammany Inn Hostel

Luang Prabang, Laos

This place was good but gets a 3/5. The staff there were nice, but just got everything wrong. We had booked two nights and wanted to extend it to three, but they messed it up. When I had gone to sort it out, it seemed that roughly 7 other people had the exact same problem. But good dorms and rooms, mediocre breakfast of bread and butter, decent facilities and sketchy wifi.

• 9th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

It was a decent place, 4/5. Good location, lockers and facilities. Horrible breakfast of bread, a banana, and butter jam. An AWESOME feature was free beer (sometimes buckets) every day between 7-8. We booked their boat trip to Halong Bay, which didn't have the boat that they showed us pictures of (and promised we'd have). This sucked, but we had a good time all the same.

• 1st Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hi Cian, we have no idea what are you expected for a great & cheap hostel for only 5 buck/night with everything included! and for the boat trip its was really busy on that day so we run by a bigger boat and nicer as well and everyone else was really enjoyed as well! BTW, Thanks so much!

Sunflower Hotel Hoi An

Hoi An, Vietnam

This place is great, 4/5. It has great dorms, but lockers, free buffet (with good food). The only downside is that it’s a bit of a walk to the center (15 min). Staff are amazing and friendly; not minding us drinking our own alcohol at their bar and then in the lobby.

• 22nd Feb 2013

Backpackers House

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Lots of good things like massive storage space for your stuff under the beds, decent bathrooms, a free drink on arrival and it’s location is good too. Lots of bars around. LOTS of backpackers stay here and it’s real easy to meet new friends. I’m giving it 4/5, docking it one for something that is really poor. That is the staff. Some of them are ok, but many have a terrible attitude. They’re short with you and are just generally grumpy. They refused a refund when some of the guys in our dorm were

• 18th Feb 2013

Velkommen Backpackers

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

It’s within walking distance to nearly all attractions, it’s by the waterfront, and it’s close to several bars and restaurants also. Close to bus/train terminals also. Only downside are the stuffy rooms and lack of electrical outlets in the rooms.

• 8th Feb 2013

Home Sweet Home

Siem Reap, Cambodia

It’s a nice place, cheap beer and okay-ish rooms. The bathroom was pretty awful and the AC didn’t work, but they beds were good. Just please take my advice and be aware about the exchange rates. I checked the rate online for Thai Baht (THB) to Cambodian Riel (KHR) and it was at the time roughly THB 1,000 to KHR 133,000. How much did the hostel offer me? THB 1,000 for KHR 30,000. They organised a tuk-tuk to see the temples and bus out of town, which was nice. Free taxi to/from bus station!

• 31st Jan 2013

CheQinn

Bangkok, Thailand

This place rocks. It's in a party part of town and close to the BTS, which is excellent. Staff are friendly and cheeky, and the booze is cheap. Rooms have everything you need at your bunk; light, power, and mini stowaway table. Big storage but you'll need a lock. I think the laundry facilities could be a tad cheaper, but I can't complain about anything else!

• 24th Jan 2013

Mazz Homestay

Negombo, Sri Lanka

It’s my first time in a homestay, but I'd a plane to catch at1am the next morning, so didn't actually stay for long. He introduces me to the wifi password via the rules chart, some of which are pretty odd. Nazz is a damn polite guy all the same, bending over backward to try and make you feel actually at home. Everything else is average - shared toilet and not high security for your valuables.

• 21st Jan 2013
  • Globetrotter

This place iust a stones throw from the beach. When we first arrived, I was so sick I could barely speak, and one of the guys there gave me a pillow to rest on while they sorted the room and Nishan (the owner) even fixed me a teacup of salt water and lime to help settle my stomach. He was also able to rearrange my previous booking to fit my girlfriend in, seeing as she hadn’t planned on staying. Great rooms, great place, great wifi!

• 19th Jan 2013

Hotel Kumbha Palace

Udaipur, India

I cannot recommend this place enough. It's location is excellent, it’s about 7 mins on an autorickshaw from the train station and is close to the main attraction of Udaipur – the city Palace. So close in fact, that it’s got a big green back garden against the wall of said Palace. The rooms and bathrooms are in an okay state. nothing special, but the rest of the place more than makes up for this. Restaurant on the roof that overlooks the city. Really friendly and helpful host. Stay here!

• 7th Jan 2013

CheapSleep Helsinki

Helsinki, Finland

This place is slightly out of the way. The guy who was working on the front desk was very helpful; couldn't have asked for more from him. Nice big kitchen/communal areas. Rooms are massive and slightly impersonal. My only criticism is exactly that; the areas are quite large and it makes it slightly difficult to make friends or talk to others. If you're in a group you may fear you're upsetting other guests because the same area is shared.

• 9th Jun 2012

Skanstulls Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

Hit hostel checked all the boxes for our group. The rooms are great size and the whole place is friendly looking. Staff are very willing to help. We ended up having a massive game of charades in the common room which involved drinking, and the staff didn't seem to mind. Made a good few friends there. Very secure and easy to get in/out of the place at all hours and location is good for walking to the old town and bars. Would have stayed for longer if possible!

• 7th Jun 2012

Best Hostel City

Stockholm, Sweden

This hostel is generally good, location is decent; it's close to a few bars/clubs. A few disappointing experiences: One night we had been playing music in the room and heard a few loud thuds on the door. Once open we found an employee who screamed in our face 'NO MUSIC', and stormed off. Some staff were lovely. The woman cleaning the kitchen seemed strict and impatient. The general age group didn't seem to match us either (we saw a few older couples and a class of students around the age of 16).

• 5th Jun 2012