Location: Scotland, Gender: Male, Age: 44

Location is awful if you don't have a car - expect to be walking for at least 20+ mins for a bus, and more than that if you want somewhere nearby for dinner. Wifi is not free as advertised ($5+tax). For some reason they add about 25% taxes to the cost. Rooms are paper thin - my whole room was shaken with construction work going on next door, and you will probably hear the road noise from the dual-carriageways on either side.

Ottawa Backpackers Inn

Ottawa, Canada

Very disorganised place. The room Id booked apparently didnt even exist! As a result I was made to spend an extremely unpleasant night in a tiny overly hot 10-person dorm. Not a good nights sleep. To make up for this they put me up in one of the apartments next door for the other 2 nights. These are very pleasant, but sound like normally way overpriced.

This is more like an unfurnished self-catering flat/apartment bed-sit. Although there is a basic kitchen area with a sink, fridge/freezer (that's very noisy) & microwave, there are no utensils (eg, plates, cutlery or mugs/glasses). The bed is very basic but functional, and the rest of the furniture amounts to a couple of chairs, a table and some bare wood shelves on one wall. The main front door is shared with others and there appears to be a shared kitchen/laundry area.

HI-Edmonton

Edmonton, Canada

Due to an overbooking, I was forced to check out after my first night and store my luggage, then check in later that day to a new room. This hostel is a bus & train away from downtown or a long walk to the train station (which is the mis-advice I was given the first day!). Appears to be a quiet area, and there are some shops a few minutes walk away also.

Thanks for your comments. I'm sorry you had to move rooms during your stay. We only move guests when it is absolutely necessary, As we are extremely busy, this may happen from time to time. We are located in the most popular neighbourhood in town - historic Old Strathcona, the entertainment district. We are only a 10 minute bus ride to downtown. The VIA Rail station, however, is located in the north-west end of the city, which is, unfortunately, out of the way of most things. Greg, Manager

HI-Calgary City Centre

Calgary, Canada

Budget Inn Patricia Hotel

Vancouver, Canada

The only thing letting this place down is the location - unfortunately although its not far from town, its in a very poor area, and that means you shouldnt venture too far out at night. But the bus service is frequent with plenty stopping nearby. The food served in the attached bar is not great, but it did feel safe and had a ggood atmosphere.

Couldn't fault the room or the place in general but it's a bit annoying you are forced to use the elevator to go up to your room.

Lavender Towers

Christchurch, New Zealand

Couldn't fault this place - highly recommended. The owners couldn't be more firendly & helpful - even drove me to the airport.