Sobaka Hostel

Yalta, Ukraine

Once you find this place, you are in for a treat. The guys who run this place are keen to show you the beauty of outdoor Crimea - take advantage of it! I wish I could have stayed longer.

The Babushka Grand Hostel

Odessa, Ukraine

The initial approach isn't so promising, as you navigate through construction and a well worn stair well - but once inside the hostel you are in an expansive old Odessa flat full of character. The hostel is also really nicely located, especially if you are arriving and/or leaving by train. The only odd thing was feeling like you were crashing in the staff's private apartment at times; they just sort of slept wherever there was an empty bed. But a good base for exploring Odessa.

Umbrella Hostel

Bucharest, Romania

After having a rough start to my day, what a wonderful turn of events to arrive at Umbrella Hostel! Not only was the space it self spacious and cheery, but the staff bent over backwards to make me feel at home and to help me with a slight injury (that rough start). The beds were comfy and the lockers large and secure. The only slight issue is that the shower and bathroom facilities are a little limited - not an issue when the hostel isn't full, but might be when it is. Definitely will return!

The English Guesthouse

Ruse, Bulgaria

I was made to feel immediately at home at the English Guesthouse. This is a lovely retreat right in the heart of Ruse, so everything is easy to walk to. I would stay here again were I to make a return trip.

Thanks. Will be happy to see you again.

Nomads Hostel

Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria

Overall, Nomads was a fine place to stay for a couple days. It was in a good location, and the breakfasts were lovely. But the 6-bed dorm room was a bit cramped and there are no security lockers.

Hostel Old Plovdiv

Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Despite arriving on a cold, rainy day, I was instantly warmed by the personal greeting I got when I set foot in the Old Plovdiv Guesthouse - both from the owner and from a handchalked sign at the desk. The place itself was a fantastic, atmospheric 19th century home that made a perfect base to explore the the Old Town. One of the nicest places I have stayed in the Balkans, and hope to return someday!

Dear James, I am waiting to read your book about your journey! Your blog is fantastic, you definitely have a talent of a writer ! Best regards Hristo

Dragon King Hostel

Beijing, China

This was a comfortable hostel set in a hutong, which gives you a flavor of the fast disappearing old Beijing. The only thing I would have liked to see was a communal space other than the cafe. Hard to meet others outside of your dorm room.

Dozy House

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Lovely place to stay while in Chiang Mai. Quiet yet convient.

Sila Resort

Sukhothai, Thailand

The staff at Sila bent over backwards to make my short stay in Sukhothai memorable. The place is a bit out of center and my room - the cheapest available - was extremely basic - but all these things I knew in advance. But the people and the grounds more than made up for that!

U-Baan Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

I liked this hostel was not in the thick of the backpacker district. But just know it is basic hostel - not so much character.

Funky Fes

Fez, Morocco

Funky Fes was a great choice for a place to stay while visiting Fez. It provides the character that comes with being in a converted dar/riad, yet at the price of a hostel. It was in the medina, meaning you could to most sights easily, yet in a quiet area, removed from the crowds and noise. Definitely would stay here again.

Dar Jameel

Tangier, Morocco

Dar Jameel was a wonderful oasis right in the heart of fascinating Tangier. I especially liked the roof terrace that allowed for a view of the whole medina and the harbor. Being off season, I felt like I had the place pretty much all to myself.

Riad Baraka

Chefchaouen, Morocco

This was a lovely, quirky little hideout in blue-blue Chefchaouen. It was a great base to explore the city, and the proprietors were quite fun. Really nice breakfast - once everyone is up and going!

Academy Hostel

Florence, Italy

Hostel 5 Terre

Cinque Terre, Italy

Perhaps it was simply the contrast with it gorgeous surroundings, but I found the 5 Terre Hostel remarkably cold and institutional. It felt like it was once a school or hospital - and then little changed to make it a more inviting place. The room I stayed in had bare white walls and beds on creaky metal frames. The walls were thin and the hallways echo-y; as it was low season (so few guests), this was not so that much of a problem - but during peak times? The staff, though, were quite nice.

Academy Hostel

Florence, Italy

The Academy is a great spot at a great value in a great city! I like that it's a more 'grown up' hostel, geared less to the party crowd and more to those who simply want to enjoy the many pleasures that Florence has to offer. Moreover, they make the place as comfy as hostel can be (I loved that there were no bunk beds in my room, for one).

Hobo Bear Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

Overall, Hobo Bear was fine, but I'm afraid it suffers a bit in comparison to other hostel experiences I've had in the region - even Croatia. It was one of the more expensive hostels I've stayed in, yet the bed was not the most comfortable and certain services unavailable that are pretty much standard elsewhere (like laundry). Still, the staff were helpful and the common area is a nice place to hang out.

City Hostel Prizren

Prizren, Kosovo

I wish I could have stayed two nights at City Hostel. It was a great base from which to explore beautiful Prizren, and I was made to feel welcome right from the start. And for value for money, I don't think it can be beat in Kosovo!

Hostel Han

Pristina, Kosovo

While a very basic hostel, the staff and the location are excellent. I was made to feel right at home. Because of that, I added an extra day to my stay!

Shanti-Hostel

Skopje, Macedonia

A bright, welcoming spot in Skopje. Easy to get to the sights; even easier to get to the bus and train stations. Will definitely stay here again if in town!

Shanti Hostel Bitola

Bitola, Macedonia

I wasn't originally supposed to stay in Bitola, but when I ended up having to spend a night - thankfully! - I was lucky to find Shanti. The owners were incredibly warm and welcoming, and they even gave me a ride up to Skopje since I was going to stay at their hostel there. I am glad I had a chance to see lovely Bitola and to stay at Shanti.

AnastasiaHomestay

Ohrid, Macedonia

This was an excellent, and affordable, way to be right in the center of Ohrid, within walking distance to all the major sights. I would recommend it!

Lorenc made me feel welcome and at home right from the start. His garden is a lovely area to relax in after huffing and puffing up Berat's hills! Watch out for his rakiya, though - it's powerful stuff!

Florian Shkodra Guesthouse

Shkoder, Albania

This was a very relaxing place to stay. And with the aid of the bikes that they provide, it is easy to get into the center. The biggest plus, though, was the food!

Old Town Hostel East Wing

Kotor, Montenegro

Very helpful, engaging staff! But expect a party atmosphere...

Tchaikovsky Hostel

Split, Croatia

This might just have been the best hostel I've ever stayed in - cheerful, impeccably clean, well designed, etc.. And when I had one of my darkest travel moments (getting my daypack stolen), the staff bent over backwards to make me feel better. Highly, highly recommend!