Chillout Cengo

Istanbul, Turkey

I booked for 2 nights and stayed just over 2 weeks. A firm favourite for me. Awesome staff (who play great music), always filled with interesting people, good common areas to chill out, amazing location in a side street nr Taksim (3 blocks from Istiklal-avoids a bit of the noise). If you absolutely can't sleep with noise and light I wouldn't recommend it but it's not bad at all. Always supplying more towels and blankets if you need them. And free tea and backgammon sets! I'll be back v soon :)

Hush Hostel Moda

Istanbul, Turkey

I definitely recommend staying in Kadikoy. One of my favourite places after 3 weeks in Istanbul and this hostel is in an amazing location, close to Moda and all the good bars, cafes and shops. Only 5 mins or so from the ferry port so if you want to head over to Beyoglu and Sultanahmet it's no problem. I only had 2 nights and I was a bit rushed so I didn't spend much time there, but the beds are perfectly fine, place is clean, staff are nice, breakfast is traditional Turkish with free tea.

Ale-Hop Albufeira Hostel

Albufeira, Portugal

Porto Spot Hostel

Porto, Portugal

Really nice hostel. Very clean. The interior of the building is so nice, it looks like it could be a 5* hotel. Would 100% recommend this. One thing I would say: Porto is a very hilly city so prepare yourself for the fact that the hostel is at the top of a very big hill. Very near the historical center but the hill does make it seem a little further away :P Very comfortable beds. Super friendly, helpful staff. Porto tip: go for a wine tour at Croft Winery. 3 euros!

Very good location, clean, very good breakfast etc. but the place had next to no atmosphere and the staff were not very organised. When I got there I had to wait half an hour to check in, where I was given the wrong bed and then had to go down and wait another half an hour to ask which bed was actually mine. Also you have to pay 10 euros deposit for a crappy lock that you attach to a cupboard below the bed, it's easy to break so you have to be careful to keep your deposit.

Old Town Lagos Hostel

Lagos, Portugal

In an excellent location, 5 mins from the beach and right off the main street. Never had the breakfast but I'm sure it was good. Most of the staff were really nice people, but the night manager was kind of a massive knob. Very high opinion of himself and low opinions of others. Atmosphere is good if all you want to do is party, which is what the town is for. Beds were comfortable and clean as were the bathrooms. Big lockers. Maybe with giving guests a front door key so you don't have to buzz in

The Garden Backpacker

Seville, Spain

Great hostel in a really good location. Very central, easy to walk to all the main sites from here. The staff are really good, as are the free walking tours that they organise (Mehdi was great on the evening tour around the Jewish quarter). Free sangria every night between 8-9 and a good free breakfast. It's a clean place where it's easy to socialise with people and if you're looking to go out, there is a pub crawl every night and nice outdoor bar at the hostel. The 7 euro paella is delicious!

Silver Gate Hostel

Split, Croatia

I had to arrive late to the hostel as I missed the original bus I wanted to take out of Dubrovnik. The staff gave me the key code to the door via email and I found the hostel pretty easily. They said they'd leave me a note to find my bed but I couldn't see it anywhere, but luckily I guess correctly. The hostel is very clean, in a good location, staff are helpful but a little standoffish. Very comfortable beds, big pillows. Only 1 shower for girls though!!!

Villa Banana

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Cheapest place we could find to stay in Dubrovnik for the night! 15 euro per person in a twin private, pretty good for such an expensive city. Good enough location, a 20-30 minutes walk from the old town (longer going back as it's all uphill). Maps provided. Clean bathrooms. Comfortable beds. Friendly staff. No hostel atmosphere, but I didn't expect much - it's more of a guesthouse.

Old Town Hostel Kotor

Kotor, Montenegro

Awesome hostel! One of the best I've ever stayed at. Brilliant, hilarious staff! They put something on for people to do every night, as well as the cool Montenegro tour every other day which is much cheaper than any other tour available in Kotor. And the free rakija pours on... The common room has such a great atmosphere and is always full of social people to hang out with. It's in a great location in the centre of the old town, right near to where you can get a taxi to awesome beaches.

CroParadise Blue Hostel

Split, Croatia

I only stayed here for a night in transit, and it was the cheapest place to book last minute. The hostels directions are kind of crappy and so I found the place very hard to find, getting stuck in a massive hail storm for an hour and a half. Every time I phoned for directions, the hostel hung up. I only managed to find it by finding the croparadise green hostel who showed by the way to blue, where the staff laughed at me. No atmosphere in the hostel. They ended up putting me in the pink hostel.

Hobo Bear Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

Was only here for a short overnight stop on my way to the coast with some friends. Really nice hostel with amazingly friendly staff. One of the receptionists recommended us a restaurant in Split which was one of the best places we ate together (Fife, it's on the riva). Good location too, 5 mins away from the main square in Zagreb. Zagreb tip: definitely go to the Museum of Broken Relationships up in the old town.

Home Made Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

Excellent hostel! Right next to a metro station, and in good walking distance of all the sights, main areas and bars. Great staff with a really cool homey set up. Get the 8 bed dorm - it's really more 2 4 beds dorms, one above the other. There aren't any bunk beds in the room, and each bed has a curtain so you have your own space. There are 4 beds on the bottom floor and then a staircase leading up to a sort of indoor treehouse with the other 4 beds above it. Thoroughly recommended.

Explorers Hostel

Bucharest, Romania

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

Just getting round to reviewing this from 2012. Excellent location, right in the center, great staff, clean as Wombat's always are with great facilities. HOWEVER - wish my booking for Berlin was stored on this account. Wombat's Berlin had an amazing atmosphere which Budapest totally lacked. No one was socialising AT ALL. Lobby is too hotel like to encourage socialising. However, they have an excellent, cheap bar, friendly informative staff, comfortable beds and good air con.