Criterion Art Deco Backpackers, Napier, New Zealand
24th May 2016

Very relaxed atmosphere and the manager is very easy-going and helpful. Free breakfast was included which I did not expect so that was a bonus. Everything super clean. As other people have said the decor etc is a bit dated and in some cases a little shabby, but I was very happy staying there.

7.4
31st Dec 2013

Not a good start to stay - arrived and was booked into a cramped female 6 bed dorm whereas I had requested a 4 bed one. But I think because it was New Year's Eve there were problems. Also needed a locker for my professional video camera, but was told I must be staying in the room that doesn't have one (!). Was allowed to move next day to much better 4bed room with lockers. Only issue was the traffic noise after that. Had a great stay, getting to know people, and not far from buses and subway,

Pickwick Hall, London, England
14th Dec 2013

Bedrooms and common areas very quiet and clean. Showers ok (small, old, dirty towel on the floor). Staff mixed - one girl Sadia completely lovely :) The other a bit abrupt at times. No bunk beds which was nice. So close to the British Museum, a posh area so very safe and pleasant. A restrained atmosphere, and hard to get to know people which I found I didn't like so much compared to other hostels I had been, but very "British" I guess! Other than that, the atmosphere was quite charming.

Parthenon Hostel, Chicago, USA
6.9
18th Oct 2012

I didn't really like staying here. It was a bit depressing. Its ok if you are out all the time but on a wet cold day staying inside I felt shut in. The kitchen is tiny and has no sink and only a small microwave and fridge, if you want to cook you have to take a key and go two doors down. The tv room is also quite small and though the breakfast is good, there is this older guy who hovers trying to fix everything. The dorm room was new, cosy with lots of space and v. clean.

Chicago Getaway Hostel, Chicago, USA
14th Oct 2012

Amazing facilities, everything you could think of. Only down side for me was because it is so popular it seemed quite busy in the kitchen and dining areas.

Helen: Thank you for reviewing the Getaway. We are glad that you enjoyed all of our common areas. Hopefully next time you'll be able to cook a full feast in our kitchen. See you in the future! Jason Schultz Assistant Manager

Urban Holiday Lofts, Chicago, USA
9th Oct 2012

Lovely hostel, great character and design. Spacious dorm room, very cool location. Kitchen was a bit small for the number of people, and disappointed they had disposable cups for coffee (keep thinking a modern hostel should be thinking green) but as they said, they are still new and working things out.

Canadiana Backpackers Inn, Toronto, Canada
30th Aug 2012

Liked the big patio, which was very social, and the fact you could drink there. It compares well with the other hostels I've stayed at, though I was only there for one night. On a par with HI though a little more well-worn. Staff were really nice, even when I lost my key within the first hour!

We�re glad that you enjoyed staying with us and the social atmosphere from our hostel. And don�t worry about the key; this is why we�re here for � to help! We look forward to having you in the future!

Clarence Castle, Toronto, Canada
27th Aug 2012

Loved it. Have extended my stay and will be disappointed to leave. This is my fourth hostel in Toronto but this one is different. I have felt so relaxed and rested and met some really interesting people. My thanks to Damny and Fawzia, they work so hard.

6.3
25th Aug 2012

Arrived at midday to find place locked (office hrs only 2-6 pm). Had booked for 4 bed dorm , only to find I was in a 2 bed with one guy (I am a girl, so wasnt wanting this). Really noisy air con and one tiny overhead light that looked about 5 watts. Other bed had a reading lamp but mine did not. Every time you came in the door banged against a table. In the lounge there were 3 security cameras and the light was on auto timer so switched off when u least expected it. The list goes on..

HI-Toronto, Toronto, Canada
19th Aug 2012

Really enjoyed my stay. Only downer was not being able to get wifi in the rooms, but it made you go and hang out with other people in the very cosy and groovy lounge.

HI Boston, Boston, USA
12th Jul 2012

More like a designer hotel than a hostel. An awesome stay here. Only flaw is you can't get Wifi in the rooms, but it's everywhere else, and also the key cards kept not working. But I heard someone say they were going to get new locks, so maybe this will solve it.

Twelve Towns YMCA, New York, USA
6.9
23rd Jun 2012

I think Twelve Towns YMCA isnt ideal for a traveller ,eg. you have to haul your baggage up two flights of stairs because there is no lift; you are sharing the residence with people that are unemployed and waiting for housing, so its kinda rough and some of them are suspicious of white European outsiders, there are very basic facilities (because the tenants cant be trusted to look after them). But its a cultural experience, and it was available and reasonable priced, and clean. Staff were helpful