Backpackers by the Bay

Airlie Beach, Australia

This hostel is GREAT. Socialising is easy, staff is friendly and there is something to do every night. It is one street out of the main street, which means you have a quiet place to sleep. There's a swimming pool, great hammocks, clean kitchen, breakfast for cheap rates. Also good mattresses, clean rooms, lockers provided, benches to put all your stuff on. Slept really well. Wifi works average but all the rest totally makes up for that!

• 26th Aug 2014

Airlie Waterfront Backpackers

Airlie Beach, Australia

Great location, right on the ocean front. Good mattresses and beds, yet too many people in one room that prevent you from sleeping well. I felt itchy and when I shined some light on my legs in the bed there were ants in the bed, with little wings on them, biting me. There were so many that it freaked me out and couldn't sleep anymore. Was itchy for the next couple of days. Changed beds but they are attracted to light from your phone of laptop so that didn't help. Nice and friendly staff!

• 25th Aug 2014

Base Magnetic Island

Magnetic Island, Australia

Dirty and filthy kitchen that closes too early. Very high prices of food for low quality. Kitchen closes WAY too early so if you are hungry you have to walk for 30 min. Friendly staff at reception. Other staff (mainly kitchen) don't smile, look bored and are VERY rude (ruined the atmosphere). A lot to do at night for younger people, mainly involving drinking. Not much entertainment if you are a bit more older/mature or don't drink. Beds are very noisy and hard to climb out of. Location AMAZING.

• 21st Aug 2014

Sleeping Inn Backpackers

Surfers Paradise, Australia

Wifi is slow and has a bad connection. Rooms are like apartments with own kitchen and good atmosphere and facilities.

• 8th Jul 2014

Base Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

TERRIBLE mattresses, pillows are so thin you can not even call them pillows. Have to pay EXTRA for internet, for towels, for breakfast. Basically for everything!! Location is good, but there are so many other hostels in the center for a better price, better atmosphere and way better facilities. Also 20 dollar key deposit for a pass that you have to carry around all the time. It is all really annoying and I don't recommend this hostel!

• 1st May 2014

In Da Lodge

Ubud, Indonesia

wifi doesn't work well, electricity stops all the time, bathrooms are smelling bad (plumbing) but for a dorm it is a good price. The atmosphere is really nice and the hostel is okay to be in. Despite small inconveniences I did have a good time.

• 1st Apr 2014

Yogyakarta Backpacker

Yogyakarta, Indonesia

BED BUGS!!! Hot showers don't work, only 1 egg and dry bread for breakfast, room is dirty and disgusting.. so are the sheets. Clean in the common area, but RATS walking in the house. Have dvd's but dvd player doesn't work, internet isn't great either. Staff almost never around.. Not that much of atmosphere. They do have a laundry machine that you can use for free, which is nice. And hostel closes at 23.00.

• 21st Mar 2014

EDU Hostel Jogja

Yogyakarta, Indonesia

BED BUGS! DO NOT SLEEP HERE!! Towels are really small, wifi doesn't work often, blankets too cold for the air conditioned room, breakfast has NO choice options, you just get rice with something and is only served till 09.30. They accommodate school trips as well and there were children SCREAMING in the hall ways till 0.30 and starting again at 06.00. Bathrooms have bugs all over them, different kinds of them crawling over the sink and in the shower. Common area is nice but too hot to be in!

• 19th Mar 2014

Six Degrees

Jakarta, Indonesia

Excellent hostel! Has everything you need and want! Clean, friendly English speaking staff, television, dvd's, computers, good working wifi, delicious food, clean toilets, toilet paper, clean beds, light at your bed and adapters (plug and also USB ones). You also have a curtain at your bed which gives you some privacy. Air conditioning worked well. Had an amazing time and will come back here!

• 17th Mar 2014

Little Hanoi Diamond

Hanoi, Vietnam

When we arrived the staff was extremely nice and friendly. Later on, we tried to communicate with them and when we didn't understand something and asked again some of them got confused and upset. The room (3 person private room) was clean and nice. Breakfast is poor and there is a long waiting line for getting a baked egg in the morning so have breakfast early if you are in a rush!! Food that we had was okay, not great. Wifi worked well. They try to sell you some day tours which are overpriced.

• 11th Mar 2014

Street Backpackers Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

We arrived in the hostel late at night to find out that 2 people got sick and weren't checked out yet. We were coming from a long trip so we wanted to sleep which wasn't possible. The owner was really friendly though and accommodated us in another hotel in the same street for the price of the hostel. We didn't see much of the hostel, just the entrance which is in a narrow street and the reception was in a small hall which is the common area as far as we've seen.

• 10th Mar 2014

Sunflower Hotel Hoi An

Hoi An, Vietnam

The hotel is clean and comfortable but it was our worst experience EVER. The staff at the reception are really nice but staff in the restaurant are not friendly at all and very rude! We (and other people as well!!) got beaten up by a taxi driver in front of the hotel and the security man just stood there, looking at it and DIDN'T do anything! Airconditioning works occasionally but not always. The breakfast is nice, it is a buffet. DO NOT GO HOME AT NIGHT ON A MOTOR BIKE!!

• 5th Mar 2014

HQ Cafe

Nha Trang, Vietnam

We absolutely loved our stay at HQ Cafe! The room was big and nice (we had a private room), and the showers were hot! Wifi works well and there are computers to use, tours to book and the staff speaks great English. Location is great! Close to everything you need (Lanterns restaurant is amazing and right across the street). Good atmosphere and helpful people. They were really nice here! The only thing that could be better is the breakfast, it is small, but included in the price though.

• 3rd Mar 2014

Backpackers Paradise

Da Lat, Vietnam

The private room was clean and big. The staff was really friendly and tried to help us out in every way. The hostel is walking distance from the city center. The street is a bit noisy in the morning but we had a good sleep. Beds are comfortable, Wifi worked well. They offered us cupcakes and gave us breakfast but tried to charge us for it in the end. When we said something about it we didn't have to pay for it so they were nice about it. We had a good stay over all!

• 1st Mar 2014

Mui Ne Backpackers Resort

Mui Ne, Vietnam

We had a good stay at this hostel. Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable. During the day it can get a bit hot inside, as they only turn on the airconditioning in the evenings. The temperature at night was great though. Hot showers, a swimming pool and English speaking staff made our stay wonderful. Also, it is right at the beach and in the main street where all the shops and restaurants are.

• 27th Feb 2014

Rou Hostel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

We stayed for 3 nights at Rou Hostel. The staff speaks a bit of English and are willing to help you out. The beds are pretty comfortable, so is the temperature in the room. The atmosphere was nice, you can eat in the restaurant downstairs which is only vegetarian and you are within 5 minutes walking distance of the backpackers area.

• 24th Feb 2014

Thuy Tien Hotel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

The owners of this hostel are so incredible nice and helpful. I booked for 2 nights but ended up staying 1 night without having to pay her extra money, this was really great. The room itself is clean! And the location is great. The beds make sounds though in the night, which made me have a bad sleep. But the people made up for not.

• 24th Feb 2014

The Mad Monkey

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

I absolutely love the Mad Monkey because it has such a good atmosphere. One big downside is that you barely can sleep until 11 pm as the bar is open and in many rooms you hear the chairs constantly moving around (plus loud music and drunk people talking to each other). The food is AMAZING though, a bit overpriced but AMAZING. The staff is really friendly and helpful. Besides the noise at night, this is a really good hostel though!

• 16th Feb 2014

FUN-D Hostel Chiang Rai

Chiang Rai, Thailand

I stayed a night at this hostel as I was on a transit towards Laos. The hostel is clean, staff is friendly and there are loads of facilities. A big tv screen, computers to use and a good restaurant. I had a good time.

• 27th Jan 2014

Tipsy Manor

Chiang Mai, Thailand

The owners of this hostel are really nice and friendly. They speak perfect English (as the owner is from England!). They have a big television with lots of movies to watch and a pool table. Everything is pretty basic, but for the price perfect. I just didn't like it that their dog is around in the common area (I personally don't like dogs). Showers don't get hot, but have average heat. The hostel is located in the center area so you are on walking distance of everything.

• 23rd Jan 2014

Dfeel Hostel

Phuket Patong Beach, Thailand

I had a great stay in D Feel hostel. It is located just outside the main street, so you won't experience the noise of the center. It is on walking distance to shops. The bathroom was clean, the beds were good. The owner was really friendly and helpful. He speaks decent English and helped me out with all my questions and bookings. I had a great stay.

• 21st Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

Thank you! Hope to see you again.

Pak-Up Hostel

Krabi, Thailand

I loved my stay in the Pak-up hostel. The common room is really nice and accommodating. The showers are big, clean and have warm water. The beds are amazing. They do not squeeze at all and are very comfortable. Great mattresses as well. At the bar or roof terrace they play (live) music which is really nice but the music is too loud to have an actual conversation. Also the music is on until like 2pm so you will hear the noise in the bedrooms. With earplugs though, you'll have a great stay.

• 16th Jan 2014

At Beach Bed & Bar

Koh Phangan, Thailand

The owner of this hostel is really friendly. The hostel is right at the beach, which is an advantage but the beach itself is not nice. The water is shallow and doesn't go up to your knees. Also, the coral in the water will cut your feet. There are a lot of dirty dogs are running around this beach as well. The food in the hostel is okay but expensive. The 24 mix dorm is okay but has only 1 shower/toilet inside (outside there are a few more). I had a good stay because of the atmosphere though.

• 11th Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

Thanks for the review Wilvie! The water level on the island is same almost everywhere and depends of the season, so we recommend just to choose the day time when is fine to swim. The Phangan dogs are local attraction, don't afraid of them - they all are friendly and common - we have PAC organisation, which is caring about them. Prices in our restaurant is a bit less than on a beach around, but a little more expensive that food on a main street. We set-up more showers and toilets.

Ananas Samui Hostel

Koh Samui, Thailand

I have really enjoyed my stay in this hostel! The hostel is really clean and neat and the staff is absolutely wonderful. They're really friendly and hospitable. It is not in the city area, so you have to rent a motorbike/scooter to get somewhere (you can rent them in the hostel) but everyone on the island rents one anyway. It is really a place where you can come to rest and relax. The food is AMAZING. It has a good price and a great quality! Also, the hostel is a short walk to the beach.

• 5th Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

Thank you very much for your rating. We really appreciate your comments and recommendation. It is our pleasure to have you here with us. The best part for us is to see you having a great time every day staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the nearest future. Best regards, Ananas Team

The Urban Age

Bangkok, Thailand

The hostel is okay if you want to stay in a 'cheap' place for a night. But even the 5 euro's they ask, is way too much for the value you get. The bunk beds are okay but move a lot. There are only staircases, and 6 floors up. The staff is really not helpful. When you ask for something you have to wait until they are in the mood to do it (which in my experience was after waiting long times). It was okay for just one night, but I would not recommend this place.

• 1st Jan 2014

Boxpackers Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

The hostel is really clean. The 'boxes' you sleep in are really private. That is nice, but it also prevents you from meeting people while backpacking. The common area is really nice, which is one of the reasons I booked here, but nobody is actually using it. The rooms are clean, showers are warm. The food is really good, but expensive. Think about European prices. Overall, I had a really good stay.

• 30th Dec 2013

Pink Manila Hostel

Manila, Philippines

My stay at Pink Manila was wonderful. The atmosphere there is absolutely amazing! They have extremely good food and the facilities are great. You won't be bored with a pool table, swimming pool and relaxing area. I didn't have warm water in the dorm where I was sleeping and the bathroom gets a bit dirty when you're walking in and out with 8 people but it all gets cleaned the next morning. Beds are comfortable. The only negative thing is their bad internet connection. Overall, it was great!

• 13th Dec 2013

Riad Dar Alfarah

Marrakech, Morocco

The nice thing about the hostel is that it has a swimming pool. Although the website sais it includes all the taxes, they ask you to pay extra per person per night because of the local taxes. I tried to go into a discussion with them but they really don't care. They language they speak is French and Arabic but the English of the staff was very poor. The lady at the reception had an angry serious face and didn't smile at all. Besides a young boy, I wasn't happy with the managers and staff.

• 7th Oct 2012

Amour de Riad

Marrakech, Morocco

I loved my stay here! The first night I slept in a 2 person room, which has it's own bathroom in it. After that I stayed in a single room, which is small but you have everything you need in there. There's a roof terras as well and a common area where you can sit in the shade. The staff is amazing! They're really helpful when you need advice or directions and they're really nice to hang out with. After this I stayed in a more expensive hostel but I wanted to go back this hostel! It's great!

• 4th Oct 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thanks Wilvie we will be very glad to host you again

Our stay in this hostel was terrible!! We had a small room and the bathroom was full of molds! It was so dirty and disgusting that we didn't shower in there, scared to get sick! It really wasn't nice. The staff didn't care about our stay and our room and they laughed when I asked for a refund. We had booked for 3 persons and the third person actually slept in the car.

• 8th Sep 2012