Location: Australia, Gender: Female, Age: 24

San Francisco, USA

• 2nd Feb 2013

HI - Sacramento Hostel

Sacramento, USA

This hostel needs less mission statements and quotes about being accepting and more actual amenities for the guests. The dorm I was in faced the street and only had lace curtains - directly opposite an office building that left its lights on all night. The showers reached what could charitably be called "tepid" - and the staff on being questioned initially said to wait longer, then said that if we wanted hot water we had to shower in the basement.

• 25th Jan 2013

USA Hostels Hollywood

Los Angeles, USA

The hostel's good, but the area is quite sketchy.

• 22nd Jan 2013

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed the hostel, even if you didn't care for our location. As with any big city, there's always going to be a character or two who can be offputting, but with our location in the center of the tourist district, surrounded by clubs and restaurants and with tourist police always on the watch, generally people feel secure in our surroundings. Happy Travels.

USA Hostels San Francisco

San Francisco, USA

I had a really good time at this hostel (in a 6 bed female dorm). The design of the bunks and lockers is great - everyone gets 2 power outlets, a light and a bit of privacy in their bed and 2 more power outlets inside their locker. The free pancakes are a definite plus as well.

• 15th Jan 2013

Visitel Hotel Montreal

Montreal, Canada

• 21st Dec 2012

Ottawa Backpackers Inn

Ottawa, Canada

I had a great time here. I love the communal lounge area - somewhere for everyone to chill and watch a movie.

• 15th Dec 2012

Global Village Backpackers

Toronto, Canada

I'm going to be blunt. The ONLY good thing about this place is the location. The bathrooms are mouldy, and one of the toilets on our floor was out of order. The temperature of the water in the showers is impossible to control, constantly switching between freezing cold and burning hot. The sheets provided are too small for the beds. The hostel has mice. Added to this, the bar downstairs is loud enough to make the beds shake, and they're open every night until 3am, making sleep impossible.

• 23rd Nov 2012

Hi there, I appreciate your comments and I apologise that you found your stay with us to be less than satisfactory. I would like to address some of the points made here. We do have housekeeping staff cleaning our bathrooms and toilets several times daily, we have plenty of facilities throughout the hostel and although we try and fix any plumbing issues very quickly you are always welcome to use any of our other facilities if a toilet is temporarily out of order. We order our linens from a hotel supplier and we supply both a flat and a fitted twin sheet for each twin mattress, they are a standard size throughout Canada. Our bar closes at 2am nightly, as per Ontario law. We will never keep the bar open past this point. Most of our guests to not find that the noise from the bar is excessive or bothersome but we would have gladly moved you to a room further from the noise if you had come to see one of our desk staff, we do have staff available to you 24 hours a day. Again I apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us and we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to redeem ourselves to you if you choose to stay with us again.