Bath YMCA

Bath, England

Security is non existent! No ID check on arrival. Request you leave your room key at reception when you leave building to aid in "fire safety", no ID required when retrieving key. Watched a guy walk up to desk, say a room number, guy gave him key. No name, no ID. Same thing when I asked for my key, and I was in a private room! No ID required when I came to retrieve my luggage from storage. Could have taken anyone's. Everything else was average. 10/10 would not stay again because of security.

• 2nd Nov 2013

Many thanks for your comments. We don't require ID for guests that stay as not everyone carries ID around with them. I am alarmed however that a check wasn't made when you asked for your room key. There will be times when guests notice that we don't ask a name when issueing keys, this is because we get to know a certain amount of guests who stay here, but if a guest is new to a particular duty manager, then they should be asked their name. I will reiterate this to reception staff.

Plug-Inn Boutique Hostel

Paris, France

Location was amazing. Beautiful with many cafes just around the corner. Metro only 2 minute walk away. Staff were friendly, but a smile would go a long way. No atmosphere. The rooms were clean but the kitchen was poorly kept with ants crawling over the benches. The kitchen facilities were atrocious. Almost no cooking utensils provided. Makes cooking dinner almost impossible. Double bed was actually two beds pushed together. Beds were on wheels so they would separate when sleeping. Not impressed.

• 2nd Jul 2013

This hostel was fantastic. Highly recommend it. It was a little bit out of the way but for the most part this was fine as I was wanting to spend time outside of Central London. There was a bar and restaurant as well as an outdoor patio making the facilities amazing. The bedroom was large and very clean! The staff at reception were a little bit dry. A smile would have been nice. But the one redeeming factor was Iris the bartender. She was super friendly and was happy to chat with us. Will return!

• 23rd Apr 2013

Astor Hyde Park

I spent one week here and had the time of my life. The staff were so friendly and would socialise with the guests. It was like one giant family! The location is amazing, in South Kensington and right across the road from Hyde Park. I have never felt safer walking the streets at 4am! The huge kitchen was a massive positive as it allowed me to finally cook some real food, not just microwave meals. And all this came at a ridiculously cheap price for the location. Charm oozes from the walls here!

• 13th Aug 2012