Reviews: chadatw3130

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 31

Duo Housing DC

Washington DC, USA

Really good facilities in good location. Staff are young and inexperienced and act as rule police, rather than being an ambassador to the city. They should take active part in engaging customers outside of the hostel walls.

Supertramp Hostel

Machu Picchu, Peru

Super Cool Bar area...everything else was OK.

If its just an overnight stay..this place is ideal. Great location, great breakfast and very clean. If it's more than a night...you might find yourself knocking on the door (midday) and no one is there. Better yet...you might be watching TV with the owners and their kids who all live there. Plus, had to walk up 4 flights of stairs to the dorm room...in Puno's high altitude...this is tiring at any fitness level.

The staff really does a great job taking care of all your needs! The location is right off the river and there are chillout spots looking into the river basin from the hostel. It´s a really good size place...with all the fixings. Only little issues are...one key per room (all of SA does that), little critters are all around (but your in the jungle), they have an issue with providing change (happened three times)

Location is terrific...could walk to all attractions. Staff were really nice and accomodating. I loved the building itself...old style high ceilings and crown moldings...it just felt like colonial..and fit right into its surroundings. Could have been a little cleaner...but otherwise its a better than decent hostel.

Hospedaje Penthouse 1004

Bariloche, Argentina

Best view I've ever seen from any hostel...it's truly a penthouse suite with sweeping views of the city, lake and Andes Mountains. Very relaxed environment...staff are friendly...and facilities are very nice...couldn't ask for better location. Great hostel!

Garden Stone

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

Very friendly staff...with limited English...so if you need specific travel advice (other than just seeing waterfalls) you need to see a travel agent in town. The yard area is terrific for relaxing...so if you want to read a book...in a tropical setting with birds chirping this is an ideal place. Breakfast was terrific! One thing to be aware of is no printing...this is a big problem on a Sunday..where its hard to find in town (most places are closed). 1 key/room is usual security prob in SA.

America del Sur Hostel Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Looks like a hotel...but feels like a hostel! Good formula. Staff know you by name..which is refreshing..San Telmo location is awesome. This is perfect place for learning Spanish as residents seem to be 50/50 English/Spanish speaking. Cleaning staff did awesome job and facilities are first class. Only annoyance is one key per room and bathroom/shower walls are thin. Oh...they need to use WD40 on the doors as they creak badly.

Hello! Thanks for your comments, the doors have all been oiled! Regarding the key, the fact that you have to talk to us before going up to the rooms is a safety meassure, it gives us the chance to control that you are actually staying at the hostel, that you are in the correct room and also gives us a chance to talk to you in case there's anything you need to know. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you next time, safe travels!!

Bella Paulista Hostel

Sao Paulo, Brazil

The owner is wonderful...she goes above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. I arrived sleep deprived at at 1pm...there was remodeling being done next to my 4 bed dorm... she upgraded me to a private single room...to let me sleep. Then there is the breakfast...bread, rolls, cake, ham, cheese, warm cheese pastries...great selection...but the food quality was excellent. Even the coffee and the juice were the best I had in Brazil (12 day trip). Lovely place, clean, every amenity....enjoy!

Santa Mix Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Terrific hostel...these guys care about people and help to make your experience in Rio unforgettable. The place itself was really conducive to meeting people, the bed was comfy and the place is pretty well kept. Small drawbacks to note are: its on a steep hill (but close to bars) and there were two days the bread at breakfast had mold on it. Overall, I love this place and would recommend it to all my friends...I might even come back for Carnival:-)

Organic House Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This place needs an update and a good cleaning. The upper bunk bed had no railing and the mattress was depressed so that it is likely you would fall out of the bed at night.

Youthhostel Geneva

Geneva, Switzerland

Only here one night...so just wanted a good night sleep. Would have been fine...but in addition to no AC (understandable) there was no fan (not OK)...it was stifling hot on the upper floors and a fan would have gone a long way in helping.

• 25th Jul 2013
  • Globetrotter
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Valley Hostel

Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland

Great place! Really liked everything about it.

AlpLodge / BackPackers Interlaken

Interlaken, Switzerland

Only spent one night here and overall was a good experience. Breakfast was good and Wi-Fi connection was excellent. Advised on a canyoning trip which was awesome! Wasn't much reason to stay in Interlaken for more than day...otherwise I would have come back

Youthhostel Luzern

Lucerne, Switzerland

In a 16 bed dorm and it was hot, stuffy, smelly. The location is out of town and its not easy to met people here. YHA places in general seem to be for young families or kid groups.

I stayed for 7 days...and everyone who came through my room was super cool and friendly..they must match people up:-). Location is really good!

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

A model hostel...very modern and friendly. Only things to pick on were the walls were thin and the hallways felt like a hotel..paint some art on there and make it feel like a hostel again.

Budapest Bubble

Budapest, Hungary

City Backpackers Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

Loved this hostel! number padlock security worked well. Many little spaces to hang out or make new friends. Location was great...close to old town and many 7-11's. Kitchen was pretty well organized. Wi-Fi in room worked really well, breakfast price was reasonable and they had free computers to use everywhere...plus access to printer...free. One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. Only drawback was they could have used more bathrooms.

YHA London St Pancras

They had major issues with my bed and I had to change beds 3 out of 5 days. Staff wasn't exactly knowledgeable on transport to attractions. But facilities were nice and location can't be beat.

Budget Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

Nice place...great location...the facilities were top notch and they worked hard to provide good activities and staff were cool. Overall great job...only drawback is that showers are super small and many were out of order. Also, the music in the lounge at times was too loud and Wi-Fi was spotty at times. Not deal breakers...but small nuisances.

Sleep Well Youth Hostel

Brussels, Belgium

Staff are not always friendly...don't expect to meet people here...rarely is any one in the lobby. You are locked out of your room from 11am - 3pm....big inconvenience. The room isn't bad..so if you just need a cheap room in a good location...this would work...but it could have been so much better...too bad really.

Hostel Blues

Bratislava, Slovakia

Staff were awesome. Great Place

myMOjOvie

Vienna, Austria

Awesome experience! This is the closest any hostel could get to living like a local and having the creature comforts of home. Thank goodness Vienna is one of the safest cities in the world...because keys are often left hanging outside the door...thus it works great for the late arrival. Loved the staff here..they give amazing tips only a local would know about. If you like new experiences...different from the usual hostel...must try this place...it perfectly fits the character of vienna.

Hostel One Home

Prague, Czech Republic

Looking for a Party Hostel...this is your place!!! The staff will party coordinate, concierge and participate. If you need a little more space or some quiet..this might not be your place.

Kangaroo-Stop

Dresden, Germany

Love the staff here...they do a great job! They really thought out some great details...LCD light on key, beds that don't make tons of noise, timed shower to increase water efficiency. Only detraction was dorm on first floor has to take shower on second floor. Still a great place to stay!

Circus Hostel

Berlin, Germany

Wow...this hostel had the feel of a hotel...but easily sociable. Room was nice and everything was super clean. They even had a free tour to a concentration camp...which was totally unexpected. There was a bar and cafe and something going on every night. These guys are ahead of the curve and I expect many urban hostels will eventually look and feel like this one. Good on you Circus Hostel!

Jetpak Alternative

Berlin, Germany

Perfect for the teenager and 20 something. Facilities are well maintained...plenty of security and breakfast is more than the usual. Just beware of the maid...who seems to have a habit of taking personal towels.

Extremely professional staff who were super helpful in getting all the right activity options within my limited time available. I would highly recommend any backpacker to stay here.

Bahaus Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

Really friendly and helpful staff...amazing location...breakfast was really Good....I really liked this hostel a lot.

Lungile Lodge beachfront backpackers

Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Nice common space area and location is stellar. Staff didn't know the location of a major attraction which was a little annoying. Plus there is no headroom for the bottom bunk bed.

The Backpack

Cape Town, South Africa

I've been in 30 hostels in the last 5 months and this is the best hostel I've ever stayed at!!! Enough said.

Ghandi Backpackers Lodge

Johannesburg, South Africa

They pick you up from airport and the facilities are nice. Staff are a little moody at time and I'm not sure how they get away with not offering Wi-Fi...in this day and age. Can't order food either..have to walk 10 minutes to the store..which in Johannesburg is not the greatest idea.

This location is shutting down in a few weeks...because location is really bad...which caused loud road noise and non-functioning wi-fi. Should be better when they re-open with new location...cross our fingers.

The location of this hostel is terrific...it is super close to North Cliff...where the beach, cafes and restaurants are. It seemed most of the rooms were private and there was one 6 person dorm room...so there wasn't the usual hostel feel to it. Staff was really nice and accommodating. They don't have a tour desk (another reason it didn't have a hostel feel)....so you have to walk down the street to book tours or travel. Coming with friends..great place..going solo..you might not meet others

Dear Sir, Thank you for your feedback and for taking time out to review us. We have 18 dorm beds and only 6 family rooms. We have a mixed product offering because in India the concept of luxury backpacking hostels is still relatively new and some of our guest couples prefer family rooms. We are in the process of setting up a tours and travels desk for our hostel. The peak season for Varkala is Sept to Jan. We are currently in off season and which is why we have few tourists in Varkala compared to peak season. However, we are glad to inform you that we are still running at a very high occupancy level! Most of our guests leave for the beach in the mornings and return late at night. Hence it is possible that during the time of your stay, you did not get a chance to interact with a lot of the other guests at our property. Nevertheless, customer feedback is of utmost importance to us and we will work on how to further improve guest interaction at our properties. Thank you once again for your valued feedback. Yours sincerely, Team Vedanta Wake up!

Ram Bhawan Residency

Varanasi, India

Staff is great, place is nice and location is excellent. Just know a few things. If you don't care for crowded back alleys...this isn't your place. Also, don't arrive on Sundays...staff have the day off and you will miss very important information which will make your stay much more enjoyable. Otherwise, its awesome. You will love the community feel of breakfast and lunch...very homey!

INBOX Hostel by FWD

Chiang Mai, Thailand

If looking for a smaller hostel...with many amenities...this is a great choice. This being said, the service is suspect...they were out of toilet paper and two of us complained...instead of replacing the toilet paper...they said "We put 10 rolls in yesterday". Plus, they are maniacal about their rules. If you can deal with some of this strange behavior...then..good place to stay.

Thank you for your shortcut review..so you also be a nic-e guest excepting request only more toilet then lady and out of rules every day,example,eat foods in bedroom(Don't bring or eat foods inside) or wear shoes into everywhere on floor(take off your shoes) Is it ture? Our rules are our standard. We need to understand you Chad...

Spicythai Backpackers

Chiang Mai, Thailand

City Home Guest House

Chiang Rai, Thailand

Excellent location...right next to the bus station and near the night bizzare. It was cheap enough...but you get what you pay for....common space, rooms and showers were really dirty...space was very cramped. Only electrical outlets were near the ceiling. Staff were not interested in making you feel welcomed and comfortable. But the wi-fi was good...shockingly.

Khammany Inn Hostel

Luang Prabang, Laos

Service was excellent...location was very good...baggette for breakfast is phenominal! Only drawback is no Wi-Fi in room and have to ask front desk to turn on air-con..bit of a hassle. Overall, I really nice place.

Little Hanoi Diamond

Hanoi, Vietnam

Good and Bad...Some staff were helpful others not so much. The dorm is on the 6th floor (lots of stairs)....only one room key for 4 people and no locker...so I would question the security of this place. Although, no bunk beds...which was pretty cool. Then I got back from Halong Bay and had a reservation...but they sent me to their sister property. Not exactly happy since my reservation was there and my bags were already stored there. The sister property was 6 bed (bunks) on first floor.

Jade Hotel

Hue, Vietnam

This is really a hotel....not a hostel...but at $20 a night it was still a terrific value. The bed was gigantic...the TV was brand new flat screen in room. Free Breakfast was very good. Best part was the service...upon stepping foot into the hotel....they serve you lemonade and fruit. I hadn't even registered yet...they take your bags up...they give you an umbrella when it was overcast (I took it on a tour for the whole day)...when you get back in the afternoon...they serve snacks and drinks!

Nhi Trung Hotel

Hoi An, Vietnam

Hoi An doesn't do hostels..at least I didn't find any..so going solo and paying double occupancy prices..really is unavoidable. All told...it was a nice room...great staff (they even got my room ready before check in time)..breakfast was terrific...booking tours and buses was super easy. They don't take credit card unfortunately...but I will recommend to my friends regardless.

Mango Hotel

Da Nang, Vietnam

Staff was very nice and attentive to needs. Location right by the beach...was awesome. Only drawbacks were the room was smoky and there was means of meeting others here...definitely not a backpackers place.

NgocThao GuestHouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Great location...and the family who owns and runs the place are very nice. The rooms were set up well..enough space and lockers were big. Very clean, easy to book tours and very close to bars. Only drawback was stairs...there are a lot of them....so if you don't want the exercise...this isn't your place.

Eighty8 Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Service is Terrible. Transport made me wait 15 minutes as driver hassled others to come to our hostel. He was selling tours the entire way...after a lot of pestering I told him I was sick from food poisoning (I was)...but he continued selling. Other examples...a broken AC..the service guy flipped a switch on and off...just to make it look like he tried. Front desk...intentionally called wrong number of a bus service I asked them to book...and pushed me to book a much worse bus line.

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Great facilities....lots to do...great AC...terrific service for Cambodia. Only rough spot was sharing the facilities with small reptiles and a few creepy crawlers. Didn't bother me too much but it was noticeable. Considering its in Cambodia...I would recommend this hostel to others.

Thanks for the review. We take great pleasure in making sure guests enjoy their stay with us. Cambodia, and indeed all S.E. Asia, is home to the common house gecko. You'll find them even in more expensive hotels. They are completely harmless. The hostel certainly isn't home to swarms of bugs, we get regular pest inspections. We are open to the outside in the common areas eg around the pool which provides us with fresh air and a natural breeze.

Lub d Bangkok Siam Square

Bangkok, Thailand

I love the energy at this hostel...the staff put on events every night and its easy to meet people. The facilities are second to none and its located right on a train stop. The cleaning service is terrific...the showers are always hot and the AC works great. I would recommend this hostel to everyone..just note its location is in high end shopping mall district...takes roughly 45 minutes to get to main touristy area of Bangkok, by public transport.

Overall a pretty good hostel....there is a huge difference between night and day staff. Day staff are awesome...night staff were not-so-awesome.

Red Inn Court

Penang, Malaysia

This is decent place...good air-con...good wifi. Staff was helpful some of the time. Right next to little india..which is a fun place for dinner and can walk to major attractions in 10 minutes time. The room was a little tight...but acceptable. Breakfast and coffee are the best I've ever had in a hostel! Again...its a decent place to stay.

BackHome Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Loved everything about this hostel...made my time in KL truly memorable.

The Island Hotel Bali

Kuta, Indonesia

If you are 20-something, love humidity and the beach....this is your place! Location is very good....close to beach Amazing common area with pool and cabana lounge. Thank-goodness the air-con worked and well! Staff was hit and miss at times...but overall OK. Cleanliness was suspect in the bathrooms and ants showed up in my locker...but in this humidity..it might be impossible to prevent. Again if you fit the demographic above...definitely book this hostel!

Pillows & Toast Heritage

Singapore, Singapore

Check Inn HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Check Inn HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Really loved this hostel....Even before I got there...I had a package to receive and within one e-mail to them they handled everything. Upon check in they have fun activities you can join...they have free banana's available all day long. The common space was easy to meet others. They are very social, friendly and full of great advice. They even showed me down to my bus stop...so I would not get lost. Beds were comfy...and locker space was ample...and plenty of electrical outlets. Love It!

Ed House (Tripnbed Guesthouse)

Seoul, South Korea

Ed is a really great guy...he does an amazing job introducing you to the hostel with a tour and introducing you to your flatmates. He gives you a tour of the city with his massive map...all within the first 15 minutes. Ed even took a bunch of us to a truly authentic Korean dinner. I only wish the location were a little closer to a subway station otherwise...great place!

Jam Hostel Kyoto Gion