Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 25

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

Free dinner is great, especially in a such an expensive city and is a good way to meet people even if you do have to get there really early to get one of the limited seats. Really frustrating lack of sockets in the dorms. My key card stopped working half way through my stay. I was told I had to change beds which would have been nice to have some warning of but not the end of the world. However when I got back into the room the new occupier of my bed had thrown my stuff across the floor.

• 11th Aug 2014
  • Globetrotter

It's a huge place, more of a budget hotel than a hostel. Don't go expecting a party place with loads of people hanging out but for what it is it's a perfectly pleasant place to stay

• 9th Aug 2014

Jetpak Alternative

Berlin, Germany

It's relatively far from the sightseeing highlights but the area has loads of great bars and restaurants and something a bit different if this isn't your first time in Berlin. You will get offered drugs every 30 seconds walking down the street / the adjacent park but I never felt at all threatened. Staff are awesome and cheap beers means everyone gathers and heads out together so great for solo travellers.

• 6th Aug 2014

Hostel Oki Doki

Warsaw, Poland

Staff were really helpful with good suggestions, printed my bus ticket off for me and let me borrow a travel adaptor when I forgot mine.

• 2nd Aug 2014

Home Made House

Vilnius, Lithuania

This is weird one, its litterally a house with 12 bunks which has been opened as a hostel but is a sucess purely through the sheer will of the owner / host who is absolutely fantastic. She got everyone involved organised evening activies including inviting us to a barbeque and going to an open air cinema around the corner.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Globetrotter

Naughty Squirrel seems just the right size for a hostel; plently of people to meet but not so many that it gains a hotel-vibe. Evening organised activities were good, some good recommendations and the staff seem to know their stuff.

• 30th Jul 2014

Tallinn Backpackers

Tallinn, Estonia

I chose the hostel mostly on the basis of the 24 hour reception and there are always plenty of staff hanging around to deal with awkward check in/ out times. Top-floor dorm rather bizarrely has a jacuzzi and sauna in the bathroom but it was far to hot to want to use them in August. Shower had a tendancy to flood the bathroom but staff fixed it admirably quickly when informed.

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Globetrotter

More of a hotel with good value dorms than a hostel; its huge. Well placed for the main train station and Theresienwiese which is used for beer festivals, but a fair walk from the city centre. Kitchen was closed for refurbishment while I was there.

• 23rd Apr 2013

Euro Hostel Plzen

Plzen, Czech Republic

Its more a case of the worst rooms in a hotel rather than a hostel. Frankly, there's not a lot of options in Pilsen and you probably won't be staying long. Its an OK place to sleep, just spend the rest of your time in the beer gardens rather than hanging around the hostel.

• 22nd Apr 2013

Hostel One Home

Prague, Czech Republic

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in (I've only ever given one 100% before). Providing dinner for everyone is genius as gets everyone sat around together and sets up going out as a group. Staff are absolutely indefatigable and always involved. Everything is new and awesome. We ended up staying for longer as we didn't want to leave.

• 18th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

While I was staying, the hostel was mostly full of a massive group of hundreds of school kids on a field trip so there was a terrible atmosphere in the bar and breakfasts were carnage. However everything is modern and clean, the kitchen is great and Wombats' free walking tour was one of the best I've been on. Its a fair way from the centre, right by the Westbahnhoff station, but it takes less than 30 mins to stroll into town along the main shopping street so its not exactly out in the suburbs.

• 16th Apr 2013

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

In theory Wombats should be incredible. It has every little thing that I look for in a hostel: great kitchen, bar, it's super clean, the location is amazing and even has all the little things like a socket, light and shelf for each bed. However it has been scaled up to such a size that it's no longer really recognisable as a hostel but more of a youth hotel; you don't end up randomly chatting to every person and the staff always seemed rushed off their feet.

• 14th Apr 2013

Hostel & Cafe Bar Rookies

Novi Sad, Serbia

Location's good, just outside the old town and the staff are friendly and helpful.

• 13th Apr 2013

Hedonist Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

The staff are absolutely bonkers; fun but slightly exhausting. There was always a good group of people to go out with in the evenings and the garden's nice to lounge around in. They were also great when I arrived at 6 in the morning.

• 11th Apr 2013

Travellers Home Hostel

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Location is great; right near all the sights although could perhaps do with something more than just a suitcase hanging above the for to identify it on arrival. Everything feels very new and clean. The kitchens are the best equipped I've seen.

• 8th Apr 2013

Hostel Miran

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Miran was there to collect me off the bus which I wasn't expecting but was welcome. The hostel feels rather like you are staying in someone's home. It was almost empty while I was there so no atmosphere to speak of.

• 7th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

This hostel is unique in that it's right in the old walled city and that's all anyone goes to Dubrovnik to see anyway. It has a fairly small footprint so lacks a proper kitchen/ bar but the staff are fun and helpful and there was always free snacks of some sort available.

• 5th Apr 2013

Old Town Hostel East Wing

Kotor, Montenegro

This is the first hostel I've ever rated 100%. Absolutely the best hostel I've stayed in. Location is perfect right in the Kotor old town which is the most impossibly beautiful place I've ever seen and the hostel itself is really pretty. After weeks of traveling the Balkans in March and staying in empty hostels I was amazed that this one was rammed every night. Each evening there was either free dinner or free drinks which got everyone together. I booked for 2 nights but ended up staying for 5.

• 31st Mar 2013

Milingona Hostel

Tirana, Albania

I was literally the only one there so there was no atmosphere at all but on the bright side I got a whole dorm to myself. it seems like it'd be good in summer. It's too far from the centre and on the opposite side of town from where the concentration of good bars and restaurants is. Also there seemed to be only one electrical socket in the whole dorm.

• 27th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Dear Christopher, we hope to have you back, next winter we will try to add more heaters in the room. We respect your advises. As well we hope that our country will be visited from more tourist in the coming years. Thank you

SunnyLakeHostel

Ohrid, Macedonia

Owner is great, and he seems to know the timings for every public transport in the Balkans. A burek for each guest every morning for breakfast was a nice touch.

• 25th Mar 2013

Shanti Hostel 2

Skopje, Macedonia

Perfectly okay but fairly unnoteworthy hostel. Very close to the bus/ train station and meticulously cleaned but a bit to small and lacking a bar for any atmosphere. Having curtains, lamps and sockets for each bunk is nice

• 23rd Mar 2013

Art-Hostel Riverside

Skopje, Macedonia

Bedding and linen were dirty and hostel generally smelled. Unhelpful directions which state you should walk to the river and turn right whereas in reality you need to be one street from the river as it just looks like another run down shack on the other side. On the bright side it is very close to the station and cheap

• 22nd Mar 2013

Little Big House

Thessaloniki, Greece

Staff were great; always smiley and sorted out booking my onwards transport for me. Unlimited filler coffee all day is always appreciated. Only downside was the shower which was really too small to use comfortably. It's in a lovely old town area but it's slightly uphill away from the main centre.

• 21st Mar 2013

City Circus Athens

Athens, Greece

Rooms and bathrooms were spotless. The staff are great, they spent a long time looking up options for my next destination without me even asking. The walking tour they recommend is truly excellent. The breakfast is incredible; really nice ingredients rather than just the cheapest options. Roof terrace has a nice view of Acropolis.

• 17th Mar 2013

365 Inn

Beijing, China

We stayed in the 10 bed dorm. Bathroom was kept remarkably clean throughout given the number of people using it. However securing the room with a padlock doesn't really work as it cant be locked while someone is sleeping. Bar downstairs is good but the hostel could do with a separate common room where you don't feel pressured to buy something in order to sit. Laundry service is the best we found in China. Try out the restaurant next door (to the left as you look at the hostel) its awesome.

• 18th Sep 2012