Location: USA, Age: 43

Saigon Sports 1 Hotel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Clean and comfortable, and right in the middle of District 1's hostel/inexpensive hotel area, with many restaurants nearby. The electricity went out - on the entire block - for two hours on the first of the two nights I stayed there; it was not the hotel's fault but it did affect everyone there.

Bodega Hostel Hanoi

Hanoi, Vietnam

Very friendly and helpful staff, though a bit overwhelmingly hospitable. Their tour desk put me on a great Halong Bay trip and they helped me get a plane ticket to Saigon during Tet - quite an accomplishment. Leak in my bathroom though, and someone else had left clothes in the armoir, which hadn't been cleared out. Bodega is in a central location and I had a good experience overall.

Vinh Huy Hotel

Hoi An, Vietnam

Hoi An has plenty of nicer hotels in the same price range, including some on the old town. The sheets were so itchy I didn't want to touch them; the 'white' towels were grey; when I was checking out they tried to charge me for two drinks from the minibar, which I hadn't touched.

Kim Ngan Hotel

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Walking distance to the beach, restaurants, cafes and other desirable spots. It can be a bit loud at times, but that's due to the central location. The Kim Ngan is very clean, and the manager willingly checked around to find a bus connection to Hoi An for me during Tet, then didn't push me to buy from her when the ticket price was high. My bus was late picking me up and the staff interrupted their dinner to call the bus company for me - without my asking. I'd stay here again.

FORGET ME NOT Guest House

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Centeal location, Tricky to find - it's at the end of the parking lot/alley next to the pagoda. Walls in the room were dirty. I had to wake up staff to get in when I returned from a late dinner at 11pm. Other guests came back drunk at 1am and I could clearly hear every word through the walls.

Thanh Guesthouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

The family running the hostel have several buildings on the same alley, all kept very clean. The room, including walls and sheets, was both tidy and clean. Basic facilities with no towels or toilet paper in the bathroom. They arranged my taxi back to the airport at affair price and held my bag while I explored in the afternoon. Basic facilities but cared for, not too hard to find, central location near lots of restaurants and walking distance to the market, cathedral and other sights.

Sleeping Strawberry

Seoul, South Korea

Sleeping Strawberry is an adorable guesthouse, easy walking distance to the Hongdae area and both Hongik University and Sinchok subway stations, as well as the express train to Incheon and Gimpo airports. EU was a lovely hostess, welcoming me with cool tea on a hot day, asking if there was anything that would help me enjoy my time in Seoul more and offering information about vegetarian-friendly venues nearby. Rooms were clean. The peanut butter and jams for morning toast were excellent.

Nahbi Guest House for Backpackers

Gyeong-ju, South Korea

This guesthouse offers nightly socializing on the rooftop deck with other guests, as well as a lounge and kitchen/dining area for people to hang out. Breakfast is self-serve and includes toast, butter and eggs. It's a fairly easy walk from the train station and the manager can tell you which buses to take to visit different parts of the city.

Birdsnest Hostel

Seoul, South Korea

Birds Nest is an easy walk from the Hongik University subway stop, the express train to Incheon and Gimpo airports and the many restaurants and bars in the Hongdae neighborhood. The guest house was clean and the staff were helpful - i emailed about a shirt i left behind and they held it for 12 days until I was again in Seoul and could come claim it.

Big Tree House

Seoul, South Korea

Big Tree House is in an area with lots of cute cafes, near to the Hongik University subway stop, close to the airport express train. The manager helped me schedule a DMZ tour via email even before I arrived. My first evening she also recommended a local vegetarian-friendly restaurant for me and helped me plan my time in Seoul. This was my first guesthouse in Seoul and staying here first helped me have a wonderful introduction to the city as I learned my way around.