Hans Brinker Budget Hotel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

There's no glamour at this place, but that's not why I travelled to Amsterdam. This is the best located hostel with the best atmosphere that I've come across in my 4th visit to the city. The bar and restaurant facilities encourage socialising between groups and individuals and make it easy to befriend new people. The rooms are very standard, but they are secure and comfortable which is all you really need. When I return to Amsterdam, I'll stay here again.

• 24th May 2013

Heart of Tuscany Hostel

Chianti, Italy

Overall, the hostel was fantastic. The infinity pool and accompanying views are staggering and the beds and rooms are comfortable and clean. I did feel that the hostel was desperately trying to squeeze profit from every opportunity, so the food was not very good value for money. I was also not treated to the wine tour because there were not enough people, and that was one of the main 'pull' factors in my decision to visit. I also felt the staff were quite patronising. Great hostel though!

• 26th Aug 2012

Very reasonably priced beds. Free shuttle on arrival and departure. Should we give you free food and free wine as well? This customer was not a very educated travel . He was in a 4 bed dorm and took a nap on an empty bed. When I told him (privately ) he could not do this and if he did it again I would charge for the change of linen he agreed not to do it.

Ostello Gallo D'Oro

Florence, Italy

Great hostel. Everything of note is within walking distance and the staff are very friendly and accommodating. There is a communal area, but it was not a 'party' atmosphere. Everything was clean, the beds were comfortable, free wifi and desktops with the internet and clean shower facilities.

• 23rd Aug 2012

Giovanni's Home

Naples, Italy

The hotel had a great atmosphere; very relaxed and welcoming. The scare tactics about staying safe in Naples seemed a bit excessive, but otherwise, Giovanni was very friendly and informative. It was great to sit out on the roof terrace and talk in the evenings.

• 20th Aug 2012

Mosaic Hostel

Rome, Italy

This hostel was of a high standard and I would heartily recommend it to anybody staying in Rome. There is a safe and friendly atmosphere coupled with clean and comfortable rooms. The hostel has free wifi (that actually works), a communial area with a TV and a bar, which all contribute to a great stay. The hostel's biggest selling point is Lucas, a member of staff. His knowledge and passion for the city is clear in abundance, which is illustrated in his walking tours that he offers the visitors.

• 13th Aug 2012